Water at 99 degrees [Ch12]

Dear Bride
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next morning, Sooyoung woke up bright and early and checked her handphone eagerly, hoping that Sungjae would have texted her. To her disappointment, her handphone showed that she had no new messages.

 

Oppa must still be in bed. He must have had a tiring day with his hyungs yesterday too.

 

Sooyoung smiled to herself, as she sent a morning greeting to Sungjae.

 

SY: Annyeong, oppa. Did you miss me yesterday?

 

Sooyoung put her phone down, knowing that it would be a while before Sungjae would wake up. After washing up, Sooyoung sat on her bed and admired the ring on her finger lovingly.

 

I wonder if I’ll ever be able to wear a real diamond ring and marry oppa for real in future. I’m sure I will. He’s the best thing that ever happened to me.

 

Sooyoung laid on her bed, thinking about their date at the amusement park. She reached for her phone and opened the picture they had taken at the photoshoot. She smiled to herself as she set it as her handphone wallpaper.

 

I miss him already. Maybe I should go over to his house and surprise him.

 

With that happy thought, Sooyoung left her house and headed to Sungjae’s house with a light step in her walk. She reached Sungjae’s house shortly and rang the doorbell, expecting Sungjae’s mother to open the door, since Sungjae would most likely still be asleep. After waiting for a while with no response, Sooyoung tried ringing the doorbell again. When this again proved futile, she stepped back and looked around the house. All the windows were shut.

 

Isn’t anyone home?

 

Sooyoung tried calling Sungjae but was directed to voicemail.

 

Ah, oppa must have spent the night at one of his hyungs’ place.

 

Sooyoung dialled Seulgi’s number and waited impatiently for Seulgi to pick up the phone.

 

“Yoboseyo?” greeted a tired voice.

 

“Unnie! Can you tell me where Hyunsik-oppa lives? I wanted to surprise Sungjae-oppa this morning but he’s not at home. I think he spent last night at one of his hyungs’ place, so I wanted to go see if he’s there,” rattled Sooyoung.

 

“Aigoo, just a day without Sungjae and you’re already like this,” teased Seulgi. “Arasso, I’ll give you Hyunsik’s address.”

 

Sooyoung headed over to Hyunsik’s place and rang the doorbell. A few moments later, a lady that Sooyoung assumed to be Hyunsik’s mother answered the door.

 

“Annyeonghasaeyo, eommoni. I’m sorry to disturb you but is Sungjae-oppa here?” asked Sooyoung politely.

 

“Sungjae? Isn’t he in hospital? Uri Hyunsik-ie spent the whole day at the hospital accompanying Sungjae and hasn't been home since,” said Hyunsik’s mother.

 

Sooyoung couldn't take in what Hyunsik’s mother just said.

 

“B-bwoh?! What did you say about Sungjae-oppa, eommoni?” stammered Sooyoung.

 

“Hyunsik-ie told me Sungjae’s leukaemia finally overwhelmed him and he’s been sent to the hospital,” explained Hyunsik’s mother. “Who are you, by the way?”

 

Sooyoung did not hear Hyunsik’s mother’s last question, as shock and horror sank into her. She ran to the street and flagged a vacant taxi that happened to be driving by.

 

“To the hospital please! Hurry!” instructed Sooyoung.

 

Anniya. This isn’t happening. This can’t be happening!

 

Sooyoung reached the hospital in fifteen minutes and she followed a familiar path that she knew would lead her to Sungjae. She reached the corridor that led to the aseptic room in no time and saw Changsub, Hyunsik and Sungjae’s mother at the end of the corridor. The trio turned and looked in surprise and shock, as they saw Sooyoung hurtling towards them.

 

“Why are you here, Sooyoung-ah?” asked Changsub in a worried tone.

 

“What happened to Sungjae-oppa? Why is he in hospital again?” asked Sooyoung desperately, as she peered through the glass to see Sungjae hooked up to a ventilator.

 

“Sooyoung-ah, please calm down,” placated Changsub.

 

“I WON’T!” screamed Sooyoung. “Oppa was still fine that day at the amusement park! Why is he in there now? Why has he been in there for the whole of yesterday? And why didn't I know anything about it?”

 

“How did you know he’s been in there the whole of yesterday?” asked Changsub.

 

“Never mind how I know! Tell me what happened to Sungjae-oppa!” screamed Sooyoung in the same deranged voice.

 

Before Changsub could reply, the monitor hooked up to Sungjae in the aseptic room started beeping loudly. Moments later, doctors and nurses converged into the aseptic room and pushed Sungjae out of the room.

 

“Where is he going, doctor? What happened?” asked Sooyoung.

 

“We’re trying to save him. Now please move out of the way!” ranted the doctor.

 

Sooyoung, Changsub, Hyunsik and Sungjae’s mother followed Sungjae until they reached the door of the operating theatre. Sooyoung’s knees gave way and she collapsed onto a chair outside the operating theatre.

 

“Kwenchana, Sooyoung-ah?” asked Hyunsik, as he and Changsub sat on either side of her.

 

“Chaebal, tell me what happened to Sungjae-oppa, Hyunsik-oppa,” begged Sooyoung.

 

“We also only found out a few days ago. Sungjae hid it from all of us. He made us swear that we wouldn't tell you until… until the end,” said Hyunsik apologetically.

 

“This should explain everything, Sooyoung-ah. Sungjae said to give it to you when this happened,” said Changsub, as he pulled out an envelope from his pocket.

 

Sooyoung took the envelope with trembling hands and opened it slowly. She pulled out the piece of paper inside and unfolded it, before starting to read.

 

 

Dearest Sooyoung 쀼,

 

Mianhe, Soo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter