Water at 99 degrees [Ch 2]

Dear Bride
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sungjae found himself lying in bed after dinner that day, looking at the small toy monkey he had bought on his way home. It was a toy monkey wearing a yellow frog onesie.

 

Should I give this to her? Maybe she doesn't need anyone to disturb her now. How is she going to recover from her fever if she can’t recover from her heartache? She’s even trying to make her unnies stop worrying about her.

 

“Sungjae-ah!” called his mother from the living room.

 

“Neh, eomma?” replied Sungjae.

 

“Can you go post this letter for me? I thought I could post it tomorrow but I need to rush for an appointment with Hyunsik’s mother early tomorrow and I won’t be passing by the mailbox. Could you be a dear and go post it for me now?” asked his mother.

 

“Neh, eomma,” said Sungjae, as he got up and went to the living room to collect the letter.

 

As Sungjae stepped out of the house, he realised that he was still holding the toy monkey. After Sungjae mailed the letter, he stared at the monkey for a short while before deciding to walk over to Sooyoung’s house.

 

Maybe I’ll just leave this at her doorstep.

 

Sungjae reached Sooyoung’s house after a few minutes’ walk. However, he found himself standing outside Sooyoung’s house, hesitating as to whether to leave the toy monkey at her doorstep or not. After an agonising twenty minutes, the front door suddenly opened, and a middle-aged woman stepped out with a watering can. The woman gave a slight start of surprise, before smiling and said, “Can I help you?”

 

“Oh, I…” began Sungjae.

 

“Oh, are you here to visit Sooyoung?” asked the woman, as she saw the toy monkey in Sungjae’s hands.

 

Sungjae opened his mouth to deny it but before he could say anything, the woman stepped through the front door and shouted, “Sooyoung-ah! Your friend is here to see you!”

 

Sungjae stood mortified in front of Sooyoung’s house, as the woman turned back to look at him.

 

“Come in, dear. Don't be shy,” replied the woman with a warm smile. “Uri Sooyoung-ie is feeling a little under the weather but I’m sure she’ll be happy to know that one of her friends apart from her usual clique came to see her.”

 

Sungjae had no choice but to follow the woman into the house.

 

“Erm… Mianheyo but how do I address you?” asked Sungjae timidly.

 

“Oh, look at me! How could I forget to introduce myself? I’m Sooyoung’s mother. You can just call me eommoni like her friends do,” replied Sooyoung’s mother with a smile. “Sooyoung’s room is that one over there. She has just taken her medicine but she should still be awake.”

 

Sungjae bowed and walked hesitantly towards Sooyoung’s room. He knocked gently and waited for a response.

 

“Come in,” said a soft voice.

 

Sungjae opened the door slowly and stepped in. Sooyoung gave a surprised look as she saw him walk in.

 

“Omo! Sunbae-nim! Why are you here? I thought it was one of my unnies,” said Sooyoung in surprise, as she tried to get out of bed to greet him.

 

“Stay in bed, Sooyoung-ah,” instructed Sungjae. Sooyoung laid down again and looked at him.

 

“I heard you weren’t feeling well today. I saw this toy in a shop as I walked home and thought it might make you feel better,” said Sungjae, as he handed her the toy monkey.

 

“Omo! Gwiyowo!” gushed Sooyoung as she took the toy monkey. “Gomawoyo, sunbae-nim!”

 

“I said you can call me oppa. And I’m glad you like it,” replied Sungjae with a small smile.

 

Sooyoung gushed over the toy monkey for a while longer, before she finally set it down on her bedside table and sat up in bed.

 

“You can sit down, oppa. Don't keep standing. Your legs will become sore,” said Sooyoung.

 

Sungjae pulled up a chair and sat next to Sooyoung’s bed.

 

“So are you feeling better?” asked Sungjae.

 

“I still have a bit of fever but otherwise I’m feeling okay,” replied Sooyoung.

 

You’re not a very good liar, Sooyoung-ah. It’s so obvious that you’re not okay.

 

“I don't think so, Sooyoung-ah,” said Sungjae, as he looked at Sooyoung straight in the eye.

 

Sooyoung avoided Sungjae’s gaze by looking at her blanket. To his horror, Sungjae saw a few tears fall onto her blanket.

 

“Mianhe, Sooyoung-ah. I… I didn't mean to make you cry. I was just concerned about you but… but…” ranted Sungjae.

 

Sungjae eventually fell silent. In an attempt to clear the air of awkwardness, Sungjae pulled out his handkerchief and handed it to Sooyoung.

 

“I’m sorry for making you cry, Sooyoung-ah,” said Sungjae apologetically.

 

Sooyoung remained motionless for a while, before taking the handkerchief from him. She held the handkerchief to her eyes and sobbed. Sungjae sat awkwardly in his chair, as he watched her cry, not knowing what else he could do to comfort her.

 

“How could he do that to me, oppa? I love him so much! I thought he loved me!” ranted Sooyoung.

 

Sungjae remained silent for a long while, before he finally blurted out, “There are others who love you as well, Sooyoung-ah.”

 

Sungjae was mortified when he realised what he had just said. However, he calmed down almost immediately after Sooyoung replied, “I know my unnies all care for and love me a lot, oppa. I just wish this never happened.”

 

Sungjae talked to Sooyoung for a while longer before he got up t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter