Water at 99 degrees [Ch13]

Dear Bride
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Thank you for helping out here today, Changsub-ah, Hyunsik-ah,” said Sungjae’s mother.

 

“Of course, eommoni,” replied Changsub. “We were Sungjae’s best friends. How could we not do everything we can to help you, especially at his funeral.”

 

“There aren’t a lot of people here at the moment. Could you two go over there and help me talk to Sooyoung-ie?” asked Sungjae’s mother, the sadness and worry hanging heavy in her tone as she pointed out where Sooyoung was seated. “She’s been like a daughter to me ever since she started going out with Sungjae and Sungjae’s life became so much brighter because of her. It hurts me so badly when I see her like this. I’m already devasted enough that I’ve lost Sungjae. I really don't want anything to happen to Sooyoung because of Sungjae’s death.”

 

“Have you spoken to her, eommoni?” asked Hyunsik.

 

“I tried to just now… but…” Sungjae’s mother’s words were lost in a sigh. Sungjae’s mother heaved another deep sigh, before she related what had happened.

 

FLASHBACK

 

Sooyoung sat in front of Sungjae’s picture at the funeral parlour. Tears failed her at this point, as she had spent the entire evening and night crying her eyes out. While her tears had dried up, the pain in her heart only throbbed harder and bit down on her soul, trying its best to tear her apart. Sooyoung the ring that Sungjae had given her, as she looked at Sungjae’s picture.

 

“What should I do now, oppa? How do I make the pain go away,” thought Sooyoung.

 

“Sooyoung-ah,” called a voice behind her.

 

Sooyoung was shaken out of her reverie as Sungjae’s mother walked towards her.

 

“Sooyoung-ah,” said Sungjae’s mother, as she put an arm around Sooyoung’s shoulders. “Aegi-ah, you haven’t eaten since yesterday, and you’ve been here since we moved Sungjae here. Do you want me to get you something?”

 

“Anniyo, eommoni. Don't worry about me. Na kwenchanayo,” replied Sooyoung in as reassuring a tone as she could manage.

 

“How can I not worry, aegi-ah? Seeing you like this makes me worry that you’re going to waste away in front of my Sungjae,” said Sungjae’s mother.

 

“Mianheyo, eommoni,” replied Sooyoung in an apologetic tone. “I’m sorry for worrying you. I’m really fine. Sungjae-oppa’s passing has taken a toll on all of us, but I’m sure I’ll walk out of this pain eventually. Jinjjaheyo, eommoni. Please don't worry about me. Sungjae-oppa’s passing must have been the hardest on you. I’m just his girlfriend. I’m sure you’re much more upset over his death.”

 

“Don't talk nonsense, aegi-ah. This is not a competition on who is feeling more pain. I may be Sungjae’s mother but you have been like a daughter to me. Just because you’re not my biological daughter doesn't mean I love you any less,” ranted Sungjae’s mother, as her eyes sparkled with tears. “You brought so much happiness and love into my Sungjae’s life when his life was at its darkest. I saw the sparkle in his eyes die when he was diagnosed with leukaemia. You were the one who brought it back. I saw joy radiate from him after you came into his life, joy that I had not seen since his diagnosis. Sungjae told me that he wanted to leave the aseptic room after the doctor confirmed that he had only weeks left. He told me that he had found the girl of his dreams and wanted to give it a shot, even if it meant that he might die sooner. It hurt me so much when I knew he was determined to make this choice. But when I saw the changes in him, I was so happy for him, even though it meant I would have less time with him.”

 

“Nomu mianhe, eommoni,” replied Sooyoung in a horrified voice. “I practically monopolised all his time after he confessed to me. Nomu mianhe!”

 

“Don't be silly, dear,” said Sungjae’s mother reassuringly. “He spent enough time with me in the evenings after he sent you home. I lived for those recounts of what he told me about you and how happy and blessed he was to have you in his life. I felt blessed that you were in his life too. You brought him something that I was never able to, which I’m eternally grateful for. So now, I’m trying to make sure that you’re all right, otherwise Sungjae will turn in his grave.”

 

After that conversation, Sooyoung did her best to perk herself up. But it did not last long and before she knew it, Sooyoung found herself sitting in front of Sungjae’s picture again.

 

END OF FLASHBACK

 

Changsub and Hyunsik listened to Sungjae’s mother’s recount with furrowed brows. They remained silent for a while, before Hyunsik said, “Eommoni, Seulgi is coming over to see how she can help in a short while. I’ll get her to talk to Sooyoung. I’m sure someone who is like a sister to her will be able to help her better.”

 

“Gomawo, Hyunsik-ah,” replied Sungjae’s mother gratefully.

 

 

The day after Sungjae was cremated, Sooyoung went over to Sungjae’s house to help his mother clear up his belongings.

 

“Are you sure you want to be here, Sooyoung-ah?” asked Sungjae’s mother. “Seeing his things might make you sad again.”

 

“I… I guess this is my way of finding closure, eommoni,” replied Sooyoung.

 

Sungjae’s mother eventually relented and Sooyoung headed up to his room. Sooyoung straightened out and put away various belongings of Sungjae for about half an hour. As she was about to leave Sungjae’s room, the sunlight that shone into the room reflected off something shiny and caught Sooyoung’s eye. Sooyoung walked over to Sungjae’s table and saw what had caught her eye. As she saw what it was, Sungjae’s voice floated into her mind.

 

We’ll be known as the Bbyu couple.

 

Sooyoung picked up the ring on Sungjae’s table and smiled.

 

“Neh, oppa. We’re the Bbyu couple, aren’t we?” mumbled Sooyoung to herself. “Did you leave this behind for me, oppa? So that I would find it and remember you by it?”

 

Sooyoung slipped the ring into her pocket and was about to leave when she saw the book that Sungjae’s ring had been sitting on. It was a small, plain, blue notebook. What caught her eye was not the notebook but the picture that had been slotted into it. Sooyoung pulled out the picture and saw that it was the polaroid shot that they had taken.

 

Why did oppa slot this picture into this notebook?

 

Sooyoung picked up the notebook and after hesitating for a little while, opened the cover. The first page had “MY BATTLE WITH AN OLD ENEMY” written on it. Sooyoung turned the page and saw that the first entry was dated the day before she had met Sungjae on the first day of school. Sooyoung sat down on Sungjae’s bed and began to read.

 

[A/N: Entries in the notebook are written in purple font between black lines. An entry after a black line refers to an entry on a different day. Normal font after a black line indicates storyline progression. Hope this clears up any confusion for my readers.]

 

 

I’ve decided that I want to document my life this year as I battle my old enemy, leukaemia, from today onwards. I am going to document everything and leave it as a shining record of my struggles once I have finally defeated my old enemy.

 

 

Tomorrow’s going to be the first day of school for the new school year. I finally can go back to school with my hyungs. I wonder what this year will bring. I will make sure my old enemy stays down for this whole year. Hwaiting!

 

 

It was so good to see Changsub-hyung and Hyunsik-hyung in school again today. Yah… I can’t believe I had the chance to meet this cute girl on my first day. Her name’s Park Sooyoung. My old enemy is weak and a new girl on the block. Life’s great, right? But it’s a pity she already has a boyfriend. Well, at least I had the good fortune of having her dress my wound after she knocked me over and caused me to scrape my elbow.

 

 

Sooyoung giggled as she read this. After her fit of giggles subsided, she turned the page.

 

 

It’s been a week since school started and I’m grateful that life has been normal for me. I heard that Sooyoung got into a huge fight with her boyfriend and even fell sick because of it. How can that guy cheat on Sooyoung?

 

 

I bought a toy monkey for Sooyoung today. I didn't know how I was going to give it to her. When I walked past her house just now, her mother actually walked out of the house and happened to see me. Can you believe I got called in just like that? I don’t think Sooyoung cared much about the monkey, even though she seemed to like it. Not that it was her fault. Given how she cried just now, I think she’s still too hurt by what her boyfriend did. Hope she’s feeling better now.

 

 

I haven’t seen her around this week. I wonder if she’s still grieving over her relationship. I had a slight coughing fit just now after dinner, but I’m sure it’s because I had a few cold drinks while watching TV. I flipped through some of my older entries in this battle log and realised that rather than a battle log, I seem to be just talking about Sooyoung all the time. I guess that’s a good thing, right? I’m keeping my old enemy at bay, so there’s nothing to write about it for now!

 

 

Do you believe in DIY bears? I can’t believe I bought one last week. I think eomma is surprised that I asked to borrow her sewing kit. I just hope she doesn't ask too many questions.

 

 

HOW CAN ANYONE BE SO ROUGH WITH SOOYOUNG? THAT BASTARD PUSHED SOOYOUNG OVER AND MADE HER BLEED!!!!!!! Thank goodness I was around to help her tend to her wound. Hope she didn't notice that my hands were trembling while cleaning up her wound. It would be so embarrassing if she knew. At least for me, it wasn't all bad. She ended up joining me and my hyungs for dinner. Thanks to my dear, crazy Changsub-hyung, I think she managed to forget her troubles for a short while. After I sent her home, she surprised me by telling me she wanted to go for a walk. After we got tired and sat down, she

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter