Chapter: 9

30 Days Fated
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The apartment above the café was really something I was unfamiliar with. We had all traveled through the small kitchen until we reached the wooden staircase at the back of the kitchen of the café. After hiking up the staircase that didn’t seem to end, we reached a faded and cracked wooden door that grandma Jungsoo unlocked with a hanging set of keys.

 

The room beyond the front door was dark, so I couldn’t see anything. But someone flicked on the lights. We were all crowded around in a small living room. There was an old yet well-maintained leather couch shoved into the tiny space between a coffee table and a worn out looking stand that held a TV that was probably from the 80’s. There was also an old fireplace on the side that despite the vintage look was well taken care of.

 

Beyond the small yet cozy living room was a surprisingly large kitchen with wooden counter tops and appliances that looked a bit out of date. In the middle of the kitchen, there was a dining table with a long white tablecloth on top of it.

 

"Do me a favor and get out of my way. Jennie, you are blocking the doorway.”

 

I quickly stepped to the side before Sehun could shove me out of the way while shooting him a nasty look as he marched past me.

 

If we have not been in the presence of two young children, I most likely would have cursed at him. It wouldn’t be the first time it happened.

 

Grandma Jungsoo and Eugene walked into the kitchen, debating on what to make for dinner, while Mia and Daniel immediately tossed themselves onto the couch in the living room and turned the TV on.

 

I sort of just stood there, wrapping my arms around, wondering what I was supposed to do. I felt sort of ridiculous just standing around like an awkward stranger. Of course, I could have followed after Sehun, but he was currently stomping his way up a circular flight of stairs that lead to another floor and I rather not face his wrath.

 

Is there anything I can do to help?” I asked as I walked into the kitchen.

 

“No, you have done enough, Jennie.” Eugene said with a smile. “You really were a great help today.”

 

I smiled awkwardly, what else was there for me to do?

 

“You could, however, keep up and watch on those two.” Grandma Jungsoo said, pointing a finger towards the living room. “The Lord only knows what they are up to.”

 

Funnily enough, I had heard that multiple times about little kids.

 

I went back into the living room and took a seat on the edge of the couch where Mia and Daniel were fighting over the TV remote.

 

“Hey!” Daniel said. “We need to watch dragon tales.”

 

“Dragon tales are for babies” Mia snapped, wrenching the remote out of her brother’s hands.

 

“Hey, you two! What are you fighting about?”

 

Sehun stomped his way back into the living room with no hesitation at all and promptly removed the remote out of Mia’s hands.

 

“You are going to watch Discovery Kids and I don’t want to hear anymore fighting, understood?” Sehun asked his younger siblings after changing the channel.

 

Mia and Daniel ducked their heads, mumbling quietly. “Yes, Sehun.”

 

Clearly, Sehun had no problem disciplining anybody. He probably had a great career ahead of him as a drill sergeant or police sheriff.

 

“Kids! Come set the table, please!”

 

All four of us got up from the living room and headed to the dining room at grandma Jungsoo orders.

 

Dinner with Sehun’s family was downright hilarious. Daniel and Mia clearly stole the show, while Mia was loud and said things in cute voices, Daniel threw out random, quiet comments that were enough to have me gasping for air through my laughter. Mia and Daniel made quite a show, they were freaking hysterical.

 

Grandma Jungsoo and Eugene kept up a string of conversation about the history of the café and the different types of coffee and crepes they sold. I did my best to reply with intelligent comments. But who would have thought Sehun was part French no wonder Mia had natural ginger hair.

 

Sehun remained quiet, just about the entire dinner. His hand was clenched on the table beside his plate and jaw was tight.

 

Of course, I started to freak out, had I said anything I shouldn’t have? Did he not like the fact that I helped out his mom at the café?

 

But of course, he was mad this was Oh Sehun we are talking about I reasoned. I just have to figure out what was going on in that mind of his. He certainly was the living definition of the word enigma.

 

When Mia’s head started to drop dangerously low toward her half-finished plate of food, and Daniel kept yawning after every other word, grandma Jungsoo threw her fork on the table and shouted. “All right! Bedtime!”

 

I really don’t know how to describe the feeling I was feeling inside my heart when Sehun scooped up Mia in his arms and carried her up the stairs. At some point in time, I always wished to still have my older brother with me or at least to have younger siblings. I didn’t like being alone by myself all of the time. It made me feel kind of unwanted by my parents in all honesty. But yet here was Sehun and he had his mother, grandmother, and two younger siblings with him. Didn’t he know that for people now a days, he had it pretty freaking lucky.

 

Don’t judge him too harshly remember about his unknown past situation. A quiet voice in my head cuts in. You don’t know that much about him.

 

The voice was right, sadly.

 

“Let me help you with those,” I said as I stood up as soon as Eugene started gathering up the dishes on the table.

 

“Oh. Thank you, Jennie.” Eugene said with a smile.

 

A comfortable silence fell between the two of us while we washed the dinner dishes in the large sink in the kitchen. There was no dishwasher.

 

“You know, I would greatly like to have you around the café to help out. You really did a fantastic job as a waitress.” Eugene said.

 

This is a great opportunity to be close to all of them I thought.

 

“Seriously? I could come in whenever you need extra help. Frankly, I have nothing better to do, plus I really enjoyed your company.” I replied.

 

Eugene smiled even wider. “Wonderful! I will have Sehun give you a call later and we can add you to the schedule.”

 

Oh, great.

 

“Yay” I said weakly at the thought of Oh Sehun talking to me over the phone.

 

I’m pretty sure I failed to show my enthusiasm.

 

I was saved from saying anything else when Sehun appeared in the kitchen a moment later. He didn’t look so angry, but you always have to be cautious right?

 

“It’s almost ten.” Sehun said, gesturing towards the clock above the stove. “Are you ready to leave?”

 

“What?”

 

Sehun raised his eyebrow, giving me a look that he probably would have given a criminally insane person.

 

“Your curfew is at ten, isn’t it?”

 

I stared at him with a blank look on my face.

 

 

Oh Sehun had remembered my old punishment curfew. He actually remembered.

 

“Oh, y-yeah, my old punishment curfew was. But, either way, I should get going, let’s go.” I said while my face was flooded with color.

 

Sehun gave me a resigned sigh, shaking his head before walking towards the front door.

 

Eugene gave me a tight hug as a goodbye and another smile while Sehun waited impatiently by the front door. On the way out of the apartment, I was keeping up with Sehun’s fast pace and led me back down to the long flight of stairs. However, instead of heading back through the café he opened a back door that I hadn’t noticed on our way up the first time around.

 

Now the silence between Sehun and I was a little more than uncomfortable.

 

What was I supposed to say?

 

“Look about earlier, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to sneak up on you like that.” I finally said.

 

Sehun snorted. “Yeah, whatever Jennie. You went to visit my mom because that’s not weird or unusual at all.”

 

“Sehun! I’m trying-“

 

My words felled shortly when Sehun started to laugh.

 

His laughter was deep and rich and unlike anything else I have ever heard before. Hearing him laugh, I couldn’t understand why he didn’t laugh more often. His laughter was amazing.

 

“I’m just messing around with you Jennie.” Sehun said with a smirk. “Learn to get a sense of humor.”

 

What the hell, was the solar system still aligned?

 

Under any normal circumstance, I would have replied to Sehun’s comment with some comeback that was twice as witty or smart as his, but I couldn’t right then.

 

Because right then my heart was pounding erratically against my chest and I felt like I might pass out on the spot. Jisoo had been right, she had totally been right.

 

I had a crush on Oh Sehun. I had a very big crush on him.

 

“Jennie, why are you staring at me like that? It’s getting colder, you have to go home before you get sick.”

 

Well, wasn’t this just fantastic?

 

 

Day 7:

 

I was working at the café since early morning and Sehun well it only has been a couple of hours since he had gotten back from his early Sunday job as an assistant hockey coach. To my surprise, he was wearing the Montreal Canadiens jersey I had given him as a gift.

 

“Damn it Jennie! You are about to burn my hand watch where you are going.” Sehun said as I got back into reality.

 

“Well sorry for trying to remember a complex drink recipe, but I told you not to trust me when it came to fixing complex drink orders, especially when your teacher was rushing on explaining the steps.”

 

“You were only to be changing the filters not making anything just yet.”

 

“But I did change them then you told me to-"

 

Sehun cut me off with a disgusted look, rolling his eyes and taking a huge sight while I watched Sehun grab some table towels in order to c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter