Chapter 15

30 Days Fated
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Day 13

My phone was blaring some annoying ringtone at some early hour in the morning, waking me up out of a blissful deep sleep. I don’t remember exactly when I have fallen asleep or how I got into my bed since the last thing I recall was me wrapped in a blanket on a couch just staring into the fire chimney and Death just being silent. He took his caregiver role pretty seriously. I don’t know how much of a danger or problem Havoc was but he really must be someone to look out for especially if it had Death acting stranger than usual.

I let out a groan and rolled over, slapping my hand around on the nightstand until I found my iPhone. It took me a second to figure out how to answer the stupid call before putting the phone to my ear and grunting as a hello.

"Get your out of bed, Jennie Kimberly Yang." I heard Sehun said.

“Excuse me? Why are you calling so early?” I sighed, fighting back a yawn.

“Get yourself ready and come over.” He said as a statement.

"Over where?" I yawned, flopping backwards onto my mountain of pillows. "You woke me up to give me orders?"

"Jennie." Sehun’s voice sounded amused, something I'd definitely never heard there before. "It's almost one in the afternoon, and we're having dinner at four. My mom really wants you over to meet the rest of the family or did you decide now that you're too good to meet my
family?"

I started babbling I was feeling like I had to prove to Sehun that I take everything about him seriously. At this point the level of stress was high, just with the simple fact that I knew he attempted to overdose himself before actually planning to commit suicide had me on the edge. I tossed myself out of bed, landing on the floor, before dragging myself up and rushing to the bathroom.

"I am so sorry, Sehun" I babbled like an idiot. "I'll be over there as soon as I can, I didn't mean to - "

“Jesus, Jennie, will you shut up? Get over here and stop apologizing there is nothing to apologize for"

"Oh...okay," I sighed, biting on my lip.

The line soon went dead. I wasn’t surprised on how sudden Sehun hang up the phone if any thing he was definitely that direct, simple and awkward type of communicator.

I glared at my phone and then tossed it on the bed. I look up to my computer table to find a tray with oatmeal and a green tea. Attach to it there was a simple letter from Death.

“Stay out of trouble, have work to do. Be back later today. Stay safe. ~ Death”

                                                                                          *****

I dragged myself into the bathroom and yanked on the shower faucet, stripping my pajamas off before stepping in the shower.

I showered as quickly as possible, washing my hair with my favorite smelling coconut shampoo and scrubbing myself down with my Chanel body wash, before yanking off the faucet and wrapping myself up in a fluffy towel to sprint out of the bathroom to the closet.

Of course I was going to spend a few minutes standing in front of the row of clothes in my closet, wondering what I should wear to his family dinner tonight.

This rarely happened, so I was completely baffled as to why I happened to be freaking out in a surprisingly teenager girl move. A moment later, I convinced myself that my nerves were Sehun’s fault. I probably spent a good half hour wondering what to wear and finally getting dressed.

I decided on wearing a flattering pink blouse and a black skirt that Jisoo had managed to convince me to buy one of the few times we'd gone shopping together.


I fight back a sigh as I thought of Jisoo. One of these days I was going to have to break down and call her, because she was so right. I had such a major thing for Sehun it was absolutely ridiculous.

I ran a brush through my hair and applied my moisturizer and facial spray, I ended up changing my lip routine and went for a simply baby pink lip gloss. I grabbed my black coat off the back of my computer chair, my iPhone off the bed and my small purse off the desk, and then sprinted from the house after grabbing my keys off the coffee table in the living room.

(Jennie’s Outfit and Look:)


                                                                                       *****

The drops of rain were drawn over the windows of the cafe when I came in. Just to add to my luck, the door swung open a second later making so much noise because of the wind. I managed to close the door this time as I turn around about to take my jacket off.

"Do you always make entrances like that? Or is it just for this holiday?" I let out a disgusted huff of air as I look up, expecting to see Sehun standing there, but much to my horror, it was someone I'd never had the pleasure of meeting before.

The guy was probably only about three or four inches shorter than Sehun, but he had the same dark hair and eyes that I suspected was a family trait. He looked a little like Sehun, but his face was rounder, more child like, and he looked like he pranked people for fun.

"Uh...no," I said awkwardly, going hands on hips.

"Daebak, you are really really pretty like a doll" the guy said with a smirk. "I always knew Sehun would find a keeper."

"Uh..."

So the first time I happened to meet one of Sehun's family members and my face was so red it looked like I was sun burnt. Yay.

“Luhan, what the hell are you doing?"

Ah, there was that familiar condescending tone I'd missed so much. Sehun appeared by the guy called Luhan with a scowl in place, and then shoved the guy out of the way before he reached out and yanked me deep into the coffee house.

"And, uh, who is this, Sehun?" Luhan asked, tossing an arm around Sehun’s shoulders. I had to fight back a laugh at the fact that Luhan had to reach up on his tiptoes to do it.

"F*uck off Luhan," Sehun snapped, jabbing an elbow into his side.

Was it just my imagination, or did Sehun actually look embarrassed? He looked insanely handsome in a black button down shirt that was rolled up to his elbows, and his hair looked amazing, but there was no denying the fact he definitely looked embarrassed.

"I'm Jennie," I said, stepping forward with a polite smile.

“So this is the famous Jennie Kimberly Yang? Wow it is true what they say about you that you are a living doll." Luhan said incredulously, his eyebrows shooting up his forehead.

“Luhan, go bother someone else and leave Jennie alone," Sehun cut him off, giving his cousin a murderous glare.

"Can't evade me forever, Sehun!" Luhan said in a sing-song voice before skipping away. I had a hard time believing that Sehun and this guy were even related, they were complete opposites.

"Sorry about him," Sehun muttered, blowing out a sigh. "My cousin is an idiot."

“No, no, it's fine," I said airily, waving a hand. "I rarely see my cousins besides Jisoo and Jin, so I'm totally cool with it, even if you say he's an idiot."

“Well..." Sehun trailed off with a sigh, rubbing the back of his neck. "Then get ready for a whole lot of family you're going to be sick of by the end of tonight." I had a feeling he was going to be wrong about that one, but it didn't hurt to wait and see, right?

                                                                                  *****

All most as if the rest of Sehun's family crowded around in the coffee house had heard the two of us talking, there was a loud shout of "Jennie!" and then I was being surrounded by a bunch of people I didn't even know.

So, in all, it turned out that thirteen of Sehun’s relatives had come in for a family reunion. Eugene had three sibling , four in total - two sisters named Kahi and younger sister Nana, and then an older brother named Kijoon. But then as a moment of silence gather to pay respect to a deceased young brother twin of Nana named Jinkyu. At first I was very confused to how he died, but then one of his girl cousins with a strong Australian accent explained that he died in a tragic bus accident when his hockey team were traveling to a game. In between the four siblings, they had Mia, Daniel and Sehun belonged to Eugene. Kahi and her husband, Joonmun, had three children. Yuna was the eldest, and then there was Noah, and lastly, Sion. Nana and her husband Marc had one boy named Jeongwoo. The elder brother out of the four, Kijoon and his wife Ana, had two sons and one girl, the eldest Luhan and the youngest Junkyu, and the middle child being Rosè.

It was no surprise that Kijoon and his foreign wife lived in Australia so Luhan, Junkyu, and Rosè where visiting for a few weeks until winter break was over. All three siblings had equal beauty out of the three, Rosè had the strongest Australian accent and that was because she struggled with learning Korean when growing up. We both managed to get along very well since we both started communicating in English out of no were. She was a little younger than me by one year. As for Nana and her husband they were visiting from the United States. Kahi was the only sibling that lived in Seoul and was the one that will help out in taking care of Mia and Daniel.

I wasn't stupid enough to believe that this was the entire family I was pretty sure they was more in the extended side. There had to be tons upon tons of more family members that hadn't made it out for the family dinner. I mean, weren't most Korean familie’s extremely large? Unluckily for me, my family was just one that was not a normal family but dysfunctional.

Even so, I didn't mind in the slightest that the coffee house was packed with loud, chattering adults and even louder and hyper children. The last time I'd seen any of my extended family members besides Jisoo and Jin had to at least have been in Kai’s funeral. This was different from anything I'd experienced in the last several years, and far from feeling awkward or anything, I actually felt comfortable. I thought it was sort of weird that I felt more comfortable with people that weren't even my own family. I doubted this was going to happen again, so I decided to soak up the environment before I never saw it again, as depressing as it was to admit.

“Jennie! Jennie! Jennie, come play hide and seek with us!"

I was immediately attacked by a pack of little kids the second I stepped out of the bathroom after washing my hands. Unless I was much mistaken, dinner was in a few minutes so washing your hands was a good idea, of course.

I wasn't sure which one of Sehun's little cousins was currently bouncing around my legs, but he was adorable with dark ringlets and bright light brown eyes.

"Sion!" A loud voice cut over the chattering little kids making them all stop talking immediately.

"What are you doing?" Tall and pretty Rosè appeared in the kitchen doorway a moment later, looking disapprovingly down at the small clump of children.

"I just wanted to play with Jennie, Rosè!" the little boy named Sion said in a cute voice, blinking up at Rosè.

"Well, we're about to eat dinner, so you can't play right now," Rosè said with a sigh, making all of the little kids fall silent with disappointed looks.

"But I promise we can play hide and seek later," I interjected before I could stop myself.

Honestly, I'd never been around little kids much before, but they were absolutely adorable and I didn't want to see them looking so sad. And a game of hide and seek wasn't too much trouble, was it?

Apparently, the group of little kids enjoyed that, because they all let out squeals of excitement and tried to hug me at the same time. Well, since they were all so small, they ended up really just hugging my legs. I nearly toppled over backwards on to the floor from the mass of children currently hugging my legs, but I couldn't help but burst out laughing, trying to keep myself upright.

"You're so awesome, Jennie!" Mia squeaked, clutching at my lugs. "I knew there was a reason why Sehun likes you so much!"


I tried not to pay too much attention to that comment. Even if I was desperately hoping that it was actually true.

"Come on, come on, children," Rosè cut in, waving a hand. "You can come help me set the table."

There was something in Rosè authoritative air that made the kids immediately dash from the kitchen, which I suppose was for the better, since they were getting rather rowdy. That, and it probably wasn't a good idea to play hide and seek in a kitchen.

"Thanks for the intervention," I said to Rosè with a small smile. "I'm not normally used to being around so many little kids."

"No problem," Rosè replied, grinning.

Before I knew it another pretty tall girl came in to help set the table. I would say that she was at least fourteen or fifteen years old, I believe she was Yuna.

 

"Good job Rosè on helping Jennie with the kids. I figured she might need the help, since she is the daughter of Kim Heeae and Yang Hyunsuk.” She said.

I blinked. "How do you know who my parents are?"

Yuna shrugged indifferently. "Sehun told me."

I rolled my eyes, huffing out a sigh. "Typical."

Rosè grin widely. “I wouldn't worry about that. Sehun normally always unpleasant." She said as she wanted to lighten up the mood.

"You don't need to tell me," I snorted in agreement.

"I wholeheartedly agree with that one. You know, I'm sort of surprised you're not a stuck up ," Yuna added conversationally as we left the kitchen. Yep out of the two girl cousins I can tell Yuna was the bolder one.

I stared at her with wide eyes, not sure whether or not I was supposed to feel complimented or offended. "Uh...okay?"

Rosè laughed and added. "Well, Sehun wouldn't hang out with you if you were one, I suppose. Take her statement more as a compliment.”

I was probably supposed to be rather pleased about that one. Sehun didn't think I was a ! Score one for Jennie. Rosè, Yuna and I wandered over to the four tables pushed together in the middle of the coffee house, covered with homemade tablecloths. Eugene, Kahi and Nana were bustling back and forth between the kitchen and the tables, carrying steaming dishes of grilled marinated Korean steak, turkey, rice cakes, mashed potatoes, buttered rolls, green beans, cranberry sauce, and a few dishes that I didn't even recognize. I helped Rosè and Yuna pass out porcelain plates around the table, followed by silverware.

All of Sehun's cousins, teenagers and the younger ones included, kept giving me curious stares as I worked, and I was starting to feel a little self conscious. People didn't normally stare at me this much.

Hopefully I wasn't in any trouble or anything.

“Wow you are very beautiful.” One of the teen cousins let out which I believe he was Jeongwoo.

“Sehun Hyung, if it doesn’t work out let me know. Then I can come back from Australia and propose to her in a few more years once I reach legal age.” Jinkyu added.

I can definitely feel my cheeks turn bright red. By the corner of my eyes I can just see Sehun ignoring the comment.

                                                                                      *****

It took another couple of minutes to get everyone seated around the tables, especially the younger ones. If anything, it had gotten significantly louder since I first walked into the place, and I wasn't so sure if my eardrums were going to be permanently damaged because of it.

Somehow, and I'll probably never know how, I ended up sitting in between Sehun and his lovely cousin, Luhan. I suspected that it might have been Eugene’s doing that I ended up next to her son, but I don't know who didn't like me enough to put me next to Luhan. Not that I didn't like the guy or anything, but he instantly started blabbing in my ear the second his touched the seat next to mine.

"Everyone! Quiet!" Grandma Park aged, raspy voice was loud enough to drown out everyone else in the place, and we all immediately fell silent. It was sort of hard not to listen to anything that came out of that woman's mouth, because she'd probably put the eye on anyone that didn't.

"Bow your heads," Grandma Park ordered, glaring around at all of us. "And we'll say grace."

My stomach started churning when I noticed that everyone around the tables linked hands with each other, and I hesitantly reached out to place my hand in Sehun's. He gave me a look out of the corner of his eye, one of his eyebrows raised, and I quickly bowed my head like Grandma Park ordered.

Now, don't get me wrong, I've been in some pretty awkward situations before. But having everyone else saying a prayer in Korean, English and French as a blessing and you not knowing a single word in French was completely awkward. I knew everyone was partly French, but I had no idea that they all fluently spoke the language, too.

So I just quickly said the "Bless Us, Oh Lord" prayer in my head and dropped my hand from Sehun's and Luhan's the second they all finished speaking.

"I didn't know you spoke French," I muttered, glancing over at Sehun as he reached for a plate of rolls.

He shrugged in response. "Not really that impressive."

“Alors dites que vous n'impressionnez pas cette belle femme avec vos compétences bilingues?”

I stared at Luhan as if he'd just spoken gibberish, feeling very embarrassed since I had no idea what the hell he'd just said.

Sehun gave a deathly glare towards Luhan's direction before he chucked a roll at his head.

“Fermer la conversation, vous connard” Sehun replied.

Needless to say, I was even more confused.

"Sehun!" Eugene snapped, leaning over t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter