Twenty-One

Monochromatic Hearts

Warning(s): mentions of prenatal depression, but not implied. also just a disclaimer, pls keep in mind that the showbiz described in this fic is in no way reflective of how the real showbiz in soukor works lol

A/N : this is the second part of the double update. also, again, i wouldn't have gotten this done without Pat's help! thank you <33


 

Monochromatic Hearts

 

 

 

“Kim Kai, accused for not paying child support? His agency responds”

 

It has been reported by a non-celebrity claiming as G, that they have a child with none other than the top idol Kim Kai after a one-night stand at a nightclub, and that the idol has never paid for child support. The child, a daughter, is said to have almost reached 2 years old, and yet no contact was made by the idol to reach out to take responsibility for G and their daughter. G stated that they are ready to take this issue to court if necessary.

 

His agency, SM, gave a short statement saying that they are currently looking into this. 

 

Source: OneNews

 

1. [+4209, -2733] Wow… talk about real trash here…

2. [+2101, -1544] Sounds cheaply written… whether or not SM confirms or denies this, Kim Kai’s image is already gone to smoke

3. [+1780, -832] Is this related to that blind item that has been going around? The one that most people speculated Sehun??? Funny to see this plot twist

4. [+1599, -471] Man, if this is true, he’s no more than a trash. You can’t really believe celebrities’ images

5. [+923, -670] He’s so controversial… makes me wonder how he still has such a large fanbase… his fans must be crazy.

 

 

-

 

“pls don’t open the news site. pls just wait for me”

 

This was the text that Jongin had sent the night before, and Kyungsoo obeys. He obeys because he believes Jongin has the right to earn his trust. It’s the least he can do; to trust the idol.

 

He ignores looks for the rest of his shift, only ever working quietly and talks minimally. Once his half day shift reaches its end, he promptly packs up and makes his exit, waiting for a particular cab to pull over. Baekhyun has texted him saying he would be there in 5. 

 

It finally arrived, but 10 minutes later. For the rest of his wait and ride to the hospital, not once has Kyungsoo opened the internet and social media platform aside from his chat messenger. Even Baekhyun notices that something has been off about his best friend, but Kyungsoo is glad the former chooses not to point it out. Instead, they only have their hands linked throughout the ride, while Kyungsoo preoccupies himself with the view outside. 

 

“Sehun got his first music show win today,” Baekhyun announces, gripping Kyungsoo’s hand tighter. “He wants us to eat out again someday.”

 

“That would be nice,” Kyungsoo acknowledges, his eyes lacking their vibrant light. He returns to looking outside the car window not seconds after. Baekhyun does not attempt at conversations anymore after that until they reach the hospital.

 

-

 

“I’m sorry for always dragging you to my doctor appointments with me.”

 

The impromptu apology takes Baekhyun off guard amidst their wait for Kyungsoo’s turn to be called. When Baekhyun turns to look at his pregnant friend, the latter seems to be studying one of the brochures he took from the stand, titled ‘What to Expect in the Last Trimester’. He is not particularly paying attention to the content.

 

“That’s not something you should be sorry about, you know,” Baekhyun reassures him, leaning back against the seat.

 

“I just feel bad.” Kyungsoo admits, his voice small. “I feel like I’ve never returned the favour.”

 

“That’s not true,” Baekhyun wraps an arm around Kyungsoo’s shoulder, pulling him close. “I’ve missed you a lot. I see this as a great way to spend time with you.” They used to stick together all the time back when Kyungsoo was still working for Sehun. “It gets lonely without you. Sehun has also expressed multiple of times how he missed you. He annoys me.”

 

Kyungsoo cracks a smile at that, and Baekhyun grins victoriously, side-hugging him tighter. “You look pretty with a smile. Love you.” Baekhyun professes while ruffling Kyungsoo’s hair, and he then goes off about how the bump gets in the way of him fully hugging Kyungsoo, telling the twins to quickly come out. 

 

Soon, the nurse comes out and calls. “Doh Kyungsoo?”

 

Kyungsoo enters to be greeted by Dr. Jo in his swivel chair, smiling up at him in a welcoming manner and gesturing for him to come and sit. While the nurse busies herself with taking his blood pressure measurement, Dr. Jo asks him some general questions, and he is then ushered by the nurse to take some other essential measurements. Baekhyun quietly waits at the side, busily texting away. 

 

Kyungsoo is then brought to another room for his sonogram, his body extremely pliant, his attitude unresponsive to Dr. Gong’s inquiries at times. He does not even register the cold gel applied on his lower abdomen, his eyes blinking slowly at the black and white elements displayed on the TV screen above. He sees but he doesn’t really observe, he hears but he doesn’t really listen. It just feels like he’s floating on the clouds of nothingness. 

 

-

 

“Have you been overworking yourself lately?” Dr. Jo asks, his two hands clasped together on the top of the desk. “You’re not as cheery.”

 

“No, I’m fine, doctor,” Kyungsoo smiles weakly. 

 

“Dr. Gong told me you weren’t very elated after finding out their gender. Not what you expected?”

 

“No, it’s not about that,” Kyungsoo admits, not looking in the doctor’s eyes. He fails to notice how Dr. Jo exchanges a look with Baekhyun who is sitting at the corner, who solemnly shakes his head, suggesting that Kyungsoo is very well not in the best of mood today. 

 

“Is there anything you would like to share with me?” Dr. Jo encourages softly. “I love stories.”

 

Kyungsoo stares at Dr. Jo’s clasped hands, then at his own holding the printout of today’s sonogram. “Not really.”

 

Dr. Jo nods in understanding, no longer pressing him on it. “Okay, I’ll take your word for it.” He then drags his chair closer to Kyungsoo, holding out both his palms. “May I?”

 

Kyungsoo, a little confused, merely nods, placing the printout on the desk and raises his hands a slight. They are gently taken by the doctor, a warm smile donning his face. 

 

“Your twins,” Dr. Jo begins. “They need you to stay healthy so you can deliver them as healthy babies too. Your well-being, both physical and mental, are equally important, more so that you are supporting three lives including your own. You are very important.”

 

His doctor is misunderstanding things. Kyungsoo isn’t mentally unwell like the doctor implied him to be. He is perfectly fine. He is very much aware that by taking care of his health, it would directly impact the twins in his womb as well, and he wants only the best for them. It’s not overwhelming at all. He doesn’t understand why his doctor is telling him all this. 

 

“I feel like this is something that should be addressed, but is often dismissed because of the notion that, well, ‘you’re pregnant. It’s just the hormones’, which is very unhealthy,” Dr. Jo continues, letting go of Kyungsoo’s hands. “Even if you think I might be wrong in suspecting anything in you, I don’t suppose it’s a problem for me to share the knowledge, as it is very common among expecting parents, regardless of where they are in their term. Of course, it’s not my job to diagnose you with anything - I can only refer you to a therapist for that, but what I do want you to know is to recognize the signs and symptoms.”

 

Kyungsoo stops listening at some point, his attention switched to the printout on the desk, thumb caressing the image on it. He already wants to go home. 

 

-

 

Patiently waiting outside while his doctor is having a private discussion with Baekhyun, Kyungsoo suddenly remembers that he is out of canned food for Winter. He will have to make a run to the supermarket and while at it, should also stock up his kitchen. He gets his phone out and… hesitates.

 

He hesitates because he badly wants to open that chat messenger with Jongin and ask him, for updates. Anything. But he wills that urge down and tells himself again and again to just trust in Jongin, and to be patient. Yes, that’s right. He should trust him.

 

It’s hard, though. As if his heart and mind are not in congruence - his heart is telling him to have faith in Jongin, he has done so much for him; yet his mind is trying to convince him that, this is exactly the reason why Jongin hesitated to date him, that the careless soul in Jongin from 5 months ago was not just careless with Kyungsoo, but potentially with someone else too. It frustrates him, because as much as he wants to be altruistic about them, he just can’t. He’s selfish, and that only makes him human. If this all turns out to be true after all, and if Jongin decides to provide to the person allegedly knocked up by him the same way he does to Kyungsoo, then Kyungsoo has no say in it, but by no means will he be happy about it.

 

This is why the thought of not being pregnant at all… just the thought of it… is marginally tempting as of this moment. 

 

“Your hands are shaking,” Baekhyun’s voice brings him out of his reverie, his tone concerned. “Are you okay?”

 

Kyungsoo has not realized his best friend has finished that discussion that his doctor did not seem to want to share with him. He also fails to realize the involuntary trembling of his hands. Immediately he balls his fists, and finding that useless, he traps his hands underneath his thighs. “Can we leave?” He pleads. 

 

Baekhyun does not appear very convinced at Kyungsoo’s behaviour, but he bites his tongue and nods, offering a hand. “Sure.”

 

-

 

Baekhyun has been quietly eyeing his pregnant friend while pushing the trolley. Before him, Kyungsoo is studying the many flavours of canned food stacked on the rack, seemingly searching, and grabs almost a dozen of a particular flavour that Baekhyun assumes is Winter’s favourite. He places them into the trolley, tins clanking against each other. 

 

“Is she fussy with her wet food?” Baekhyun asks, just to fill the silence between them and mostly to engage with Kyungsoo and his reactions. “The fattie.”

 

Kyungsoo pouts, and it’s a funny sight because here they are in the pets aisle of the supermarket, with a heavily pregnant male sulking because he just had his cat called fat. “She’s not fat.”

 

“Sure.” Baekhyun hides a smile. 

 

“But to answer that, yeah she is, lately. I’m not sure why,” Kyungsoo is eyeing the row of cat treats on the hook rack while saying this, and ends up taking one of them, inspecting the label and then adding it into the trolley among others. His free hand has been resting on the bump for quite some time now, most probably out of habit. Baekhyun isn’t sure if the twins have been causing back pains for the younger male since he has not heard such complaints so far. 

 

“Maybe your cat is sulking. Cats do that, right?”

 

“Huh? What would she be sulking for?”

 

Baekhyun wordlessly points at Kyungsoo’s belly, the act making Kyungsoo place both of his hands on the lower part of his abdomen in reflex, giggling.

 

“I doubt she understands what’s going on, though,” Kyungsoo is then headed for another aisle, and Baekhyun follows with the trolley, relieved that shopping like this distracts him from the actual issue. 

 

Until they end up in the baby department. 

 

“I think I can raise two kids on my own,” Kyungsoo declares while picking up the bunny printed bodysuit and longingly eyes it, alarming Baekhyun who thinks they have reached a danger zone. “It shouldn’t be that hard, right?”

 

“Are you…” Baekhyun starts, wary, and he calculates his words wisely. “Going to buy baby clothes now?”

 

“Sehun bought me cuter onesies.”

 

“For you to wear?”

 

“No, for the twins, silly.” Kyungsoo chuckles before that mood takes a spiral. “I haven’t let Jongin know yet… about their gender…”

 

“I think we’re done shopping here,” Baekhyun decides, abandoning the trolley for a minute to go and grab Kyungsoo’s hand, the latter having to drop the bunny onesie back into the promotional car shelf. “Come now.”

 

“I was not done yet.”

 

Baekhyun stops them both, examining the male before him. “Your shopping list says otherwise.”

 

“How did you know how my shopping list look like?” Kyungsoo tilts his head, puzzled and suspicious.

 

“I peeked and you only had ‘Winter’s food’ and ‘bananas’ in there but look,” Baekhyun gestures towards the two tubs of ice cream and several packets of soft-baked cookies piled at one corner of the cart, an eyebrow raised expectantly, and Kyungsoo blushes.

 

“When you get pregnant, you’ll understand,” He retorts.

 

“Which I am thankfully not and have no plans to, so let’s go.”

 

So far Baekhyun has not observed any waterworks yet which he can’t be so sure if that is a good or a bad thing - bad because that could mean Kyungsoo has been keeping his emotions pent up, unless he really is just that strong. 

 

They hit up a chicken restaurant because Kyungsoo has been hungry since after he clocked out and has not eaten. Kyungsoo still eats small servings of his actual meal but he really makes up for it by ordering more dessert. 

 

“You’re going to finish all that?” Baekhyun asks incredulously, eyes wide at the two regular shaved ice bowls of different flavours, of which one bowl serving is for two pax…

 

“I’m eating for three, remember?” Huffing, he stabs his spoon into the ice cream topping and drags it down towards the shaved ice. “Eat with me.”

 

“Yeah… I should. This is a celebration for their gender reveal, yay,” Baekhyun is not about to tell the pregnant male that he’s already kind of full so he picks up the other spoon and starts digging in, but with  small bites. “So now that you know their es, are you going to make a nursery?”

 

“I’m still going to make one regardless of their es.” Kyungsoo takes another spoonful. “Should I move out…?” He suddenly mumbles to himself.

 

That is… not something Baekhyun expected to hear from him. “Kyungsoo… it hasn’t even been confirmed yet…”

 

“I don’t… think I could stay there if this turned out to be true,” He mutters more softly. “It’s not like we were together anyway…”

 

“He can’t leave you. He’s still responsible for child support, more so since you’re having two. I may not like him now but if you’re gonna cut things off with him and deny the support you legally deserve, you’re just going to end up suffering, Kyungsoo.”

 

“It’s already too much for him to have to provide for two, can you just imagine knowing you might actually have more? At that age?” Kyungsoo doesn’t even spoon himself of that shaved ice anymore. “He’s careless, I know that, but still, I would feel bad.”

 

“No sensible person would feel bad for rightfully claiming for child support,” Baekhyun finally understands. He should have noticed this sooner. Kyungsoo could only be this selfless for such a dirtbag for one reason. “You’re in love with him.”

 

-

 

“Yes, yeah I’ll call you back,” Jongin hangs up the phone and haphazardly drops it on his lap, his hands reaching to cover his entire face, exhausted. 

 

“Who was that?” Junmyeon at the side, asks.

 

“My mom.”

 

“She knows?”

 

“Her friends must have told her about it.” Jongin sighs. 

 

Junmyeon feels bad for the idol. “The company couldn’t really deny it last night since it was already late to gather any evidence, and you yourself weren’t sure. They’re having an emergency meeting now and trying to contact this G person, but I’m also told that they demanded them to take a paternity test.”

 

Jongin turns to his manager. “So did they agree to take the test?”

 

His manager purses his lips together, and that can’t be a good sign. “Well that’s the problem… they didn’t consent.”

 

Infuriated, Jongin scoffs out loud. “I’m being ed over, aren’t I? This isn’t actually real, is it?”

 

“I don’t know more than you do about this, to be honest.”

 

Upon arriving in front of their company, Junmyeon urges the driver to go up the staff parking of which the access is more restricted. Jongin isn’t really in the mood to deal with his obsessive fans currently camping out in front of the building, some even crying.

 

When they got out of the car, Junmyeon walks up to his side and speaks close to a whisper. “Now, listen, they will probably tell you to do some things, and I think it’s best you cooperate.”

 

“When have I ever not cooperate?” Jongin laments. He has never gone against his own company, and even the whole thing with Kyungsoo first started accidentally, and that all the actions taken consequently have been nothing more than to accommodate to the circumstances. There has been no legal issues concerning Kyungsoo’s case. “If it’s necessary, I’ll even get my lawyer.”

 

-

 

In the meeting room, Jongin is utterly devastated to learn what the higher management wants from him. His face falls, heart heavy, at the prospect of having to do such thing.

 

“You can’t make him do that. He’s got nothing to do with this.”

 

A lady, worn in the face, sighs through her nose. “We just need evidence that he really is carrying your children, Jongin-sshi.”

 

“Fairly enough, I did remember we slept together and the timing of his pregnancy is not off. He even told us he hadn’t slept with anyone after that. So why the sudden doubt?” Jongin almost yells out of exasperation, just the very suggestion boils him over. 

 

“Think of it as… further support for your relationship with him. Something to back you up.” She calmly responds.

 

Jongin scoffs in disbelief. “What… Look, aren’t we supposed to deal with this G or whatever person this is?”

 

The man beside her, not as equally worn as the lady but still sporting wrinkles around his eyes, intervenes. “Then, would you perhaps have any idea if Doh Kyungsoo had slept with a different man close to your timeline, but just before you?”

 

They are talking about Kyungsoo as if he was an object, and it pains him. “You are not being consistent. You’re assuming he’s been lying to me.”

 

“When he approached you back then, on what basis did he use when he claimed that you’re the father?”

 

CCTV footages. Jongin remembers. “I don’t think- no, I know he’s not lying to me, and I’m not gonna go through with that just coz’ you think he is.” There is a lot more to why he refuses to take that test with Kyungsoo this late into the term. That would break the unspoken trust they have established for each other. “I’m sorry, but that’s really my stance on this.”

 

The two middle-aged upper managers appear to have given into the idol’s firm decision. “We understand. We were just concerned about the possibility of you being deceived by him.”

 

Jongin resists the urge to roll his eyes. “So what about this whole thing?”

 

“We’re currently still investigating it. The media that released this article is first and foremost getting sued for not following protocol by immediately letting this reach the news, and we’re having trouble trying to get the mother to cooperate.”

 

The idol leans back, eyebrows knitted together, as he just tries to gather himself together. “What if it’s true?” He finds himself murmuring to himself, but is caught by the two senior managers. 

 

“See, the fact that you’re doubting yourself makes it harder for us too.” The old man says. “Leave this to us for now, while you go ahead with your schedule. We’ll let you know if they changed their mind and decided to perform that paternity test with you.”

 

-

 

Jongin finds it extremely hard to focus during his acting lessons, often getting called out for missing his lines or delivering them without proper emotion. It is to the point that his acting tutor has to dismiss him early under the disguise of ‘family business’ but Jongin knows that is no more than an excuse to leave his distracted arse.

 

On his way to the washroom, he bumps into the only other person he so wishes not to see.

 

“Fancy seeing you here,” Sehun smiles while fixing his cap, but in Jongin’s paranoid eyes right now it seems sardonic.

 

“Likewise,” Jongin replies dryly, stepping into the men’s room. He soon realizes Sehun is headed the same way, and they end up using the urinals next to each other. Jongin only spares him a look of incredulity but he does and says nothing about it as he goes on about his business.

 

“Is it true?” Sehun asks after a moment of liquid passing. “That you’ve got another child.”

 

“Do you have nothing else to do apart from nosing into people’s lives?” Jongin snaps back, zipping himself back up. “You’re no different than the journalists.”

 

“Ouch, that’s very insulting,” Sehun croons in a fake cry, which is very annoying. “But just like everyone else, we’re dying to know if it’s true, y’know. That includes Kyungsoo.”

 

Jongin wonders if he could be sued for casually punching his ex best friend in the face. “If I knew the answer, I would have already told everyone.”

 

Sehun merely hums, none too impressed by the lack of an answer. “Congrats anyway. About the twins.” He pulls a toilet paper after washing his hands. 

 

Confused, Jongin frowns. “What for?”

 

“You mean he hasn’t told you yet?” 

 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Jongin’s eyes narrow in suspicion, his hand reaching for his phone in his pocket and checking the lockscreen for any unread messages. There’s none.

 

“Well,” Sehun makes a face similar to being caught red-handed, and how he raises his hands as if he hasn’t done anything wrong is not in the least helping. “Looks like someone’s taking his time.”

 

All the more pissed, Jongin simply marches off, ignoring Sehun’s see you around because he definitely prefers otherwise.

 

“is there sumthing u’re not telling me?”

 

-Is what Jongin typed, but never sends. The crudeness of the message strikes him as being vain, especially after having told Kyungsoo to wait for him and for all of this to be over. Patience is virtue, so they say. He’s dying for all of this to end, though.

 

-

 

Junmyeon brought him dumplings and noodles from a chinese takeout place, all the way to the practice room that Jongin has booked for the afternoon. 

 

“You might wanna refrain from going to the news sites,” His manager advises, taking out a bowl of noodles and handing it to the idol who is patiently sitting before him on the floor. “The comments have been ugly.”

 

“Puny hate comments don’t bother me,” Jongin takes off the plastic seal, steam escaping from the hot bowl.  He has been practicing his old songs, apart from putting together a new choreography for his favourite Western songs, though he never knows if he will ever get to perform it in public. Some of them made it into his Instagram posts. “When is my Tokyo flight again?”

 

Junmyeon is chewing on a dumpling when he fishes out his phone to check Jongin’s planner. “Third of February. Less than a week from now.”

 

Nodding, the idol resumes eating, cannot help himself thinking of a particular hairstylist. “Do you think they let pregnant people fly?”

 

“You’re planning to bring Kyungsoo with you?”

 

“I didn’t even mention whose name.”

 

“Well, who else is pregnant other than him? Definitely not your sisters,” Junmyeon jests. “What happened to being more careful?”

 

“We don’t have to sit beside each other on the plane…” Jongin mumbles with a hint of sulk, his chopsticks picking up a dumpling and stuffs himself with it.

 

“He has work though, and you’ll be gone for weeks anyway. I doubt he can go with you.”

 

“I know that.” Jongin begrudgingly mutters out. “Didn’t really hope for it.” He lies.

 

They had a short moment of eating in silence until Junmyeon breaks it again, slightly hesitant about it. “What will you do if… you know.”

 

“Dunno. Keep my together and just do the same thing I’ve been doing for Kyungsoo, I guess.” He appears a lot more calmer than when he first dealt with Kyungsoo last year, but that does not mean he has accepted it. A part of him still hopes for this to be a hoax, more so because he has just started getting more romantically involved with Kyungsoo, and he is not about to let anything get in his way. 

 

He can only imagine how Kyungsoo feels right now. Jongin must look like a scum to him at this very moment, and honestly the idol wouldn’t blame him. He himself feels like a scum on earth. 

 

After finishing eating, Jongin leaves no room for the lunch to make him sleepy as he quickly stands up with his script in his hand. Junmyeon on the other hand cleans up and chastises Jongin to do the same but to no avail, and then mutters something along the lines of  ‘if it were Kyungsoo, you wouldn’t even need to be told’ and the idol pretends to ignore that as he fixes his brown coloured beanie.

 

Junmyeon is just about to leave the room when a ringtone blares into the air, and the source comes from his phone in his pants pocket. With his free hand he retrieves it, and Jongin has not realized how he is holding his breath as his manager speaks to the caller. His tone is kept hushed, and the call ends in less than a minute, with Junmyeon turning to the idol to relay the updates. 

 

-

 

 

“SM on Kim Kai’s ‘child support’ scandal: Reported to be false”

Article: SM releases official statement “The child is not his. To take legal actions against G and the media responsible for releasing it”

Source: Naber 

 

1. [+3877, -721] Wow so she actually admitted to lying just after the lawyers asked her to perform a paternity test with him? She must not be right in the head

2. [+2653, -890] Yeah we all knew Kim Kai can be problematic but he has never had actual rumours about hurting someone be it verbally or physically. It’s always just been about his cold attitude and that smoking thing. The media just likes putting him in a bad light.

3. [+2499, -1322] Of all scandals to fake, it had to be child support… Do you know how many of us were holding our breaths while waiting for this update…

4. [+1576, -974] Is this supposed to be mediaplay to get fans to jump fandom to their newest but flopped boygroup

5. [+865, -509] There’s no smoke without fire, though. Just saying.

 

 

-

 

In front of Kyungsoo’s door, for some reason, Jongin pauses to have a moment to himself, to gather the courage to face Kyungsoo again after that scare just now. It has only been two days since he last saw him, but this entire mess made it feel like forever. 

 

When he raises his hand to type the passcode, the reciting of the particular set of numbers in his head - the meaning, it suddenly clicks. It is a date. 

 

This dawning of realization makes him feel all the worse, and he has to halt again to let this sink in; of how strongly Kyungsoo feels for him. As someone who has long since lost his rookie roots, to be reminded of how he even got this far, and to be reminded of it by the person he cares for the most, it feels like a yank to his ego. But he also cannot lie how this bit of Kyungsoo, of how Jongin plays a huge part in his life, unashamedly gives him an ego boost. 

 

Instead of keying in the passcode, he opts for the doorbell. It does not take long until the intercom buzzes.

 

“J- Jongin?”

 

Looks like someone has been waiting.

 

“Yes,” Jongin says with a smile, taking off his beanie. “It’s me.”

 

The intercom turns off, and the sound of the latch being undone can be heard from outside. Soon enough, the door opens to reveal the only person Jongin cherishes the most right now, snug in a pale brown cardigan and comfortable looking pants, and a frown on his face. The frown does not look good on such a lovely face.

 

Jongin smiles, releasing a relieved chuckle when Kyungsoo suddenly sniffles, and it’s only then that the idol realizes Kyungsoo has been spotting a red nose. He quickly makes his way inside and closes the door behind him. 

 

“You did well, waiting for me,” Jongin reaches out to pull Kyungsoo into a securing embrace, who immediately releases stunted sobs, sounding like he’s trying his best to stop himself but seeing Jongin breaks the dam. “We’re okay.” Jongin whispers into the soft bob of flowy raven hair, his fingers caressing it. He can feel shoulders shaking, so small, so delicate, and yet Kyungsoo is so strong and enduring. “We’re okay.”

 

He detaches himself from the pregnant male and gently cups his face, dipping down to catch the lips in his in a soft yet languid kiss. Sobs begin to cease, shoulders no longer trembling, Jongin now feels hands wrapping themselves around his neck and it spontaneously brings a smile to his lips and into the kiss. 

 

“It takes a false article for you to kiss me like this?” Jongin teases when he pulls away, earning a weak smack on his chest. “That must have scared you.” He sounds more serious this time, his thumbs going up to wipe the wetness around Kyungsoo’s glassy eyes. The elder male is still faintly sniffling, his two hands latching onto Jongin’s who still have them cupped around Kyungsoo’s round face. “I’m sorry.”

 

 “Are you okay?” Kyungsoo’s voice is a little croaky. He looks up at the taller man with imploring eyes, a little puffy, but still beautiful. 

 

“Right now?” Jongin affirms, appreciating the person before him with an evidently joyful smile. “More than okay.”

 

-

 

“You really don’t need to trouble yourself,” Jongin says, approaching the elder male in the kitchen who busies himself with the kettle and searching his cabinets. “I’m just here to see you.”

 

“You must have been tired.” Kyungsoo takes out a decent looking designer mug and sets it atop a coaster, then scoops some cocoa powder into it and pours the hot water from the kettle. Jongin is only watching by the side with a warm smile as Kyungsoo rushes to the fridge to get some milk, adding some into the mug and snatching the teaspoon from the counter to stir it well. At this point, it would seem like Kyungsoo would be more tired than Jongin is.

 

When Kyungsoo is about to lift both the mug and the coaster, Jongin beats him to it and gets the mug, abandoning the coaster, while his other hand reaches for Kyungsoo’s wrist as he brings him along to the living room. He sets the hot chocolate down the coffee table, and sets Kyungsoo down the couch, but with more care for the latter.

 

“I didn’t read the news,” Kyungsoo confesses, fixing his glasses. “Baekhyun told me.”

 

Jongin nods in understanding, frankly not caring anymore about that twelve-hour old scandal. He himself has not read the news and the netizens’ comments on him. He heard it first from his manager, and immediately packed up and scampered off to Kyungsoo’s apartment, not even bothering attending a post-mortem meeting with the higher management since his presence means little to them anyway. Damage control is not his job. If anything, Junmyeon is there to relay any important message.

 

“Things like this,” Jongin begins, his torso facing the pregnant male whilst sitting. “Sometimes they are staged, sometimes they’re just rumours.”

 

Kyungsoo listens patiently, fiddling with his hands on his lap. Jongin grabs one of them and squeezes it. 

 

“Whatever it may be, and whoever it may come from, I want you to just wait for me to say it myself.” Jongin  releases the hold to brush Kyungsoo’s bangs in a loving manner and then his hair. “It might take time, but just trust in me.”

 

Kyungsoo nods timidly, the tips of his ears blushing and Jongin can only assume he likes the soft of his hair and the attention in general. “I hope you haven’t been crying all day.”

 

Kyungsoo shakes his head a slight. “I can’t be crying at work, that would be embarrassing…”

 

Chuckling softly, Jongin resumes Kyungsoo’s hair, finding comfort in just touching him like this. He then remembers something. “Is there something you haven’t told me, by the way?” He asks as he picks up the mug and takes a generous sip, enjoying the warmth of it while eyeing Kyungsoo expectantly. “Ran into Sehun today and he um, said something about the twins…?”

 

It is really a Kyungsoo thing, he guesses, as the elder male gets up without a word and almost stumbles back down onto the couch giving a mild panic to the idol who with one hand helplessly hovers in the air, but off he goes into his bedroom leaving Jongin to himself with his hot cocoa.

 

Jongin takes another sip of his drink, looking around the living room and eventually landing his eyes on the black blob of fur settled near the TV cabinet close to where her fish shaped scratching post is placed, sleeping. When Kyungsoo returns, with something held in his hands, Jongin puts down his drink, waiting, as the elder male assumes his seat again on the couch beside him. “What’s that?”

 

“My ultrasound pictures.” Kyungsoo says, looking a little nervous.

 

“You didn’t tell me you went to the doctor today,” Jongin remarks, but he isn’t particularly upset.

 

“I did, though, like a week ago. It must have slipped your mind…” Kyungsoo appears as if he is pouting, his two hands clasping an item to his chest.

 

“Sorry for that, but next time let me know on that day if you’re seeing the doctor. A text or something just so I would know,” Turning his palm up, Jongin inquires for the pictures, admittedly curious about the development of their twins. The last time he saw these sonogram pictures was when they still looked like deformed beans.

 

Kyungsoo gently places them into the idol’s hands, the pictures facing upwards, and he wears a casual yet hopeful look. 

 

“They look well,” Jongin studies the set of black and white pictures, the images now more defined, and he can make out two heads - two of everything. “They are well, right?”

 

“Yeah,” Kyungsoo nods. “The boys are healthy.”

 

Jongin stills, his eyes fixated on the printout for longer, and when it finally sinks in he can only stifle his bubbling laughter, a hand covering his mouth. “We’re getting boys?” He tries to confirm, although the mirth in his eyes betray him. When Kyungsoo nods again, more eagerly this time, Jongin finally breaks into joyful laughter. 

 

“Are you… happy?” Kyungsoo asks, suspicious when the idol starts to nuzzle his face into the elder’s shoulder.

 

“Don’t I sound happy?”

 

“You’re crying…” Kyungsoo notices, sounding troubled, and Jongin realizes his attempt to hide his face fails. “D- Did you want girls instead?”

 

It’s not that. It’s not about that at all. It’s just that after all that happened today, to come back to this news feels like a gift. Jongin might have seemed like he maintained his composure throughout the moronic short-lived scandal, but in deep he truly felt like he was about to lose everything he held dear to him. He feared losing Kyungsoo and the twins over it, he feared losing what they had built between them. This day was an overwhelming mess, and he starts to become conscious of how pathetic he must look like in front of the elder male. 

 

Rising up from his hideout, Jongin coolly wipes his own tears, chuckling. “Wow, to cry in front of you of all people…”

 

“Are you okay?” Kyungsoo really does look genuinely concerned, but he seems hesitant to touch the idol on his accord, so Jongin fixes that for him and grabs his hand, kissing the inside of his wrist. That alone encourages Kyungsoo to wrap his arms around the idol protectively, effectively comforting him. How Jongin emotionally depends on the smaller male these days speaks a lot, and it has more to do than just being connected to the two boys in Kyungsoo’s womb. Jongin doesn’t want to lose him, and screw waiting for both of them to be ready because he knows they never will be. 

 

“Kyungsoo,” Jongin whispers against his nape, his hands locking themselves on the small of Kyungsoo’s back. “Let’s date.”