The Truth

Jiyeon

“Hi. I am Park Hyojoon”


I was stunned for seconds looking at him. He resembles Jiyeon a lot. Exactly like how I remember her look from the picture the other day.


Soyeon shake his hand instead of me, sensing that I’m not going to. “Park Soyeon” She said with a friendly smile on her face.


“Sorry. I am Park Hyomin” I feel stupid now, gasping in awe at a stranger at the first meeting.


I’m coming with Soyeon to meet him, since Soyeon is the one who contact him the other day. Plus, Soyeon got something up nearby so she offer to drive me.


“So Hyomin ssi, I heard that you have something to tell me regarding the house” Hyojoon sound like talking business. His gaze somehow distracting but his lips show warm smile to me.


“Ah sorry to bother you about this but I think you forgot something in the house. It looks important so I think you might want to take it back”


Hyojoon’s gaze waver for seconds as he listen to what I said. It didn’t go unnoticed by me.


“Sorry for the inconvenience. I might be missing out some of things. It was such a rush clearing at that time” Hyojoon clear his throat in between of his talk with adding obvious fake laugh, showing how uncomfortable it is for him to talk about it.


“It’s okay. You can take your time to get it back” I wonder why he act that way.


“Hyomin, I got to go now. Call me after you done later” Soyeon excuse herself to go. “Nice to meet you Hyojoon ssi”


I just nodded to her. Now only me and Hyojoon left. My mind keep creating questions on how to ask about Jiyeon in a good way. I can’t think of any at this moment.


“I’m so sorry about that Hyomin ssi. I’m not quite familiar with my sister’s belongings. I will make sure to go check on it to clear things up” His face darken on the mentioned of his sister. He did replaced it quickly with his warm smile but too late. I saw it.


“I’m sorry but Hyojoon ssi, I’ve been wondering for a while. What actually happened to Jiyeon?”


Now he can’t even hide how shock he is on the mention of the name. For  a lot of seconds, he just sat there looking at me.


... 


Now I know. The truth is way too far from how I imagine it could be. Hyojoon told me everything.

 

He look like it was his first time spilling about it though. Maybe he hold it in by himself for too long, he can’t keep it in anymore.


It took him a lot of self composed, hesitation to open up but he finally did after I told him about my first week at that house. About my dreams, the feels and that second room.


I’m now in front of the answer of my questions all this time with mixed feelings.

 

Hyojoon’s voice from earlier rang continuously on loop in my mind.

 


“She was very mad when our dad mention about selling the house”


“It was the only memory left with our mom. We grow up there”


“We move out long time ago when we still a kid after our mom passed away. Our dad married again”


“I thought Jiyeon didn’t affected much with it. She was a bright girl though. She keep things to herself a lot. I thought she was okay with our new life”


“Until one day after she start with her career, she ask for our dad permission to live at that house with an excuse that place gave her inspiration”


“But later she changed. She never visit us. She start to show her rebel side”


“Our dad got mad and threatened to sale the house and ask her to not live there anymore”


“There the start of it. She got very sick. She refused to eat”


“I found her unconscious and quickly sent her to hospital”


“Doctor said she is not sick anywhere. She just don’t want to wake up”


“Our dad blame the house on this. So he really put it on sell”

 


I brushed my thumb along her thumb’s line. Didn't dare to touch her much.


“Are you that mad that you don’t want to live anymore?”


Here in front of me, lies an unconscious figures. I don’t know but the beep sound satisfied me a lot to know that this person is still breathing, still living.


“You can have the house back. So stop with your sulking game. Wake up now”

 

...

 

“So she is now at hospital? Still alive?” Soyeon ask on our way back.


“So what did Hyojoon said about the room?” She shoot another question.


“It’s look like no way she let anyone to enter that room. Even Hyojoon” I respond with a weak voice.


Yea, even her brother. Of course Hyojoon did try to clear that room before. He can’t and their dad rush the selling, he couldn’t do anything.


“But she let you in before, right?”


That’s bother me a lot. Why me?


“And I think Hyojoon are interested with you” Soyeon playfully poke my arm with teasing smile on her face.


“What? No”

 

Why would he?


“It’s obvious. With the way he look at you and it even more obvious on his face that moment you wave him goodbye earlier. It’s written all over his face”


“No way. You are assuming by yourself” 


Of course not. Me and Hyojoon just talk about serious matter before. Soyeon might misunderstand him. Serious matter that I can’t told anyone for the sake of Jiyeon’s feelings.


“So now Park siblings are both into you” Soyeon look like won’t end her tease any sooner.


“Whatever” The only way to end it is just with not responding.

 

...

 

That night, I’m alone. Eunjung already going back this morning.


I sat in front of the white canvas like always, spilling my thought.


“Do you really like me like they say?”


I hope she can hear me.


“Wake up and laugh at me if I’m wrong”


“Please”