The Next Room

Jiyeon

I start my day with sitting in front of the white canvas again. Sketching a black shadow of a slim figure.


I had an exhausting sleep last night. I feel like I’m sleeping but not really sleeping. I can feel my thought running actively all night.


I don’t want to scare myself about the shadow that haunt my night, so I think that maybe I’m just too tired or still can’t adjusted myself with this new surrounding, that’s why I keep seeing and hearing things.


My dream the whole night was just like me looking at the back of a slim figure, not doing anything, just looking and right before she turn to look at me, I’m already awake.


I feel really exhausted but I don’t feel like sleeping anymore and it’s already a new day.


I put down my pencil and head to outside enjoying the morning breeze. I saw some peoples jog around passing in front of my house.


One of them is a short girl. She slow down when she noticed me. She look at me intensely for seconds before continue jogging and that really bother me but I brush the thought quickly. She might be just trying to remember if she ever met me since I’m a new face here.


The morning breeze was too calming, I feel really invited to take a morning walk. I walk aimlessly around the neighbourhood area and that lead me to the nearby park. There are a river close to the park so I went there.


“Hey”


I feel a light touch on my shoulder as I sit silently looking at the river. I look up and saw Qri smile to me.


“Hey. Are you alone?” I asked looking around, in case Soyeon is with her.


“Yea I’m alone” She sat next to me.


Silent. 


I smile inwardly thinking about how Qri really look like never have anything to say.


As we sat silently there, I saw the short girl from earlier again. Qri might know her, so I’m thinking about asking.


“Unnie, do you know who is that?” I secretly pointed to the short girl, so she won’t noticed it.


“Oh, that’s Boram. Why?”


“I saw her earlier. Do you close with her?” I ask again.


“Not really. She don’t socialized much and she rarely show up but if you want to know her, Soyeon are quite close with her”


What to expect from Soyeon? I smile again thinking about how friendly Soyeon can be.


“Must be because of her friendly personality” We both laugh to that.


...


Again and again I dream of the same person. Sometimes I feel like I’m not alone living in this house. That person look like have something to tell me but all that I heard from her was a whisper. An unclear whisper. I can’t even see her face clearly too. So I can’t really tell what she want from me.


My dream affect me so much that even when I’m awake, I feel like I still can heard the whisper and I still can see the shadow.


I actually feel like telling Eunjung about that dream since it’s almost a week now this happened to me, continuously. I want to know her opinion about that. In case it’s really because of me still can’t adjust living here but I just don’t want her to get worried so I keep it to myself.


Today I decide to clean the room next to mine. I thought about placing all my sketches and paintings there. I never went to that room this whole week I lived here and now that I feel like have nothing to do, I decide to do this.


I went inside the room and to my surprised, it’s a room full of photos hanged and various unique bookshelves full with photo album neatly arranged.


The room are a bit dusty.


I wonder why don’t they move out all this before I move in. Look like all this belongs to the previous owner.


I look around for a bit. Most of the pictures hanged are scenery pictures.


I took out an outstanding photo albums and open it to have a look. There I saw a polaroid picture of someone that I never met but look really familiar. Below that picture was a caption with sloppy handwriting, ‘Me’.


I try hard to remember and suddenly feel really sick when I realized she is the one that haunt my dreams. I close the album and quickly leave the room.


...


I went to search for Soyeon after that founding. She is the first person that I think can help. We decide to meet at the nearby cafe.


“You said her brother take care of her belonging right?”


“Yea”


“Can we actually contact her or her brother? There are still her belongings there in the house”


Soyeon think for a while before she finally talk.


“You know there are rumours that the previous owner, Jiyeon was really sick before she left the house”


“Who? What is her name again?”


“Jiyeon” 


“Did she died?”


Soyeon look at me with an obvious frown on her face.


“Never heard of that”


No matter how I think of it, I need to return all that to the owner of it but thinking about how she seem like haunting me, I afraid if she is no longer living in this world and there is that rumours Soyeon told me.


I look at Soyeon and thinking about telling her about my dreams. I feel like I need to tell someone about this.


“Soyeon unnie, I have this something to tell you” I start to open up with low voice.


“What is it?” Soyeon talk slowly too almost whispering, following my way of talking.


“I keep dreaming of her from the first day I live there. Every single night”


“Wow! What happened in your dream?” She move closer. I can see her eyes widen with interest.


“Nothing really happened. It was just a blurry dream. I saw her picture earlier and I just realized it’s her”


Soyeon think again for a while. “Now I wonder what is actually happened to her”


“And you know unnie, even when I’m awake, I feel like she is around. I thought I’m just tired or not yet adjust to the house but I feel and heard things, you know”


My voice went lower to a whisper. I don’t know why I did that but I feel like I have to.


“I think we need to find Jiyeon but before that I know someone who can confirm things for you” Soyeon put on mysterious smile on her face and all that I can think for now is just agreeing with her.


By the way, who is that someone?