The Silent Night

Jiyeon

I walk back home after the meeting with Soyeon with a lot of questions in my mind. What is exactly her plan? She just tell me to trust her, wait and see.


My phone buzz on my way home. I peek at the caller name and smile formed on my face. It’s my grandma.


“Yo!” I greet her.


“Where are you?”


Huh? “Why you ask?”


“I’m in front of your house”


In front of what? 


I ended the call and quicken my walking pace. Why didn’t she tell me in advance that she will come over though?


...


“Why are you here?”


Eunjung show up so suddenly I wonder what make her to.


“Why? Can’t I? I just feel like to”


I brought her to walk around the neighbourhood as soon as I saw her. I told her I want to show her around when the fact is I actually avoiding the house.


“You can”


Yea she can especially at this moment.


“Is everything alright?”


There we go. Should I tell her? I hesitate for a while whether to tell her or not.


Eunjung stop walking and examined my face. I guess she might already suspect something is not right from the way I act right now. I’m being obvious and she know me too well for me to even hide it.


Now I feel like I better tell her so I did. Everything. From my dreams to Soyeon’s plan earlier.


...


Concern about what happened to me, Eunjung offer to stay over. Lucky that it’s weekends so I don’t have reason to decline and I think I don’t want to be alone too. Not tonight.


It’s weird now that Eunjung is with me tonight, I feel nothing. I can’t feel Jiyeon’s presence as I used to feel this whole past week and Eunjung fall asleep too early to be true. She passed out as soon as her head landed on the pillow.


This night feel like too silent now that Eunjung fall asleep. The only sound that filled the whole place is Eunjung’s heavy breath.


I sit in front of the white canvas again. I can’t sleep.


I stare for a while at my last sketch. I think this whole week, I only sketch her shadow, without knowing.


Her. 


Jiyeon.


Who is she?


Is she still alive?


I put on the new canvas and start to sketch. Like always my hand follow my thought.


Her eyes. Her nose. Her lips.


Her gaze. Her smile.


I remember it all way too clear even from just a picture.


Looking at my own work seem like looking at her smiling to me. I smile back to the sketch. She look harmless with that smile. 


For a while, I forgot about the dreams. My mind only focused with the smiling girl in front of me.


Putting the last , again I ask.


Who are you?


And another question.


Where are you?


...


Soyeon’s POV


“Hey Rambo, where are you?”


“Home. Why?”


“Meet me at bar”


“Why I need to?”


“I miss you”


“Nonsense”


She ended the call. I can’t help but laugh at her. It always fun to .


30 minutes later


“So what do you want?” Boram ask as soon as she saw my face.


“Come on. Don’t make me feel bad” She always make me feel bad eyy.


“Faster. I’m sleepy” She put down her head on the table waiting for me to talk.


“You are no fun”


Boram look at me with uninterested look urging me to spilled my agenda.


“Alright. Do you still, you know, that uh” So not me hesitating like this.


“What?” Boram look like she already get it but act like she didn’t.


“See that thing?” I examined her face. She look uneasy.


“Why?”


I know it’s a bad idea to ask but I only know her who can and of course I know she still can.


“I want you to help my friend”


“I only can see it. Not chasing it. You know that”


“I know. It just that my friend not sure of what is bothering her so I think you might can confirmed it for her”


“No way” Boram stand up from her seat and ready to walk away.


I held her hand preventing her to walk away.


“Please”


“You know I’m afraid of it”


“Still?” I know it is stupid to ask that but my mouth sometimes act faster than my mind. I’m not surprised.


“Of course. What do you expect? They are scary”


“You’ve seen them like in your whole life. Shouldn’t you be like, get used to it?”


“Easy for you to say”


“It’s our new neighbour. Poor her you know” I sighed and let go of her hand. I can’t force her if she don’t want to.


“The new girl?” Boram sudden interest kind of surprised me.


“Yea. You know her?”


“No but I saw it” Boram look a bit hesitate.


“Saw what?”


She didn’t answer me. She just stood there looking at me with a frown on her face.