thirteen

Wheelchair Misfit
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s been such a long time since I’ve last seen Kira to the point that I forgot how she looked like from behind. Before, I could recognise her from a mile away just by a glimpse of her head in the crowd. But at that moment, I couldn’t recognise her until she turned, shocking me and perhaps herself too. She looked different. But of course, a lot of change could happen in 3 years. But some things remained the same like how she was barefooted when I knew she was just done with her graduation ceremony. She wasn’t one for wearing heels for very long and her brilliant self always forgot to bring a spare change of shoes for her to walk in. I chuckled lowly at her. My dear ol’ Kira.

I didn’t expect to see her on the Highlands at that night, considering it was a night to celebrate. But being reminded of who Kira was, she didn’t like crowds. She’d rather seclude herself. That did not eliminate the fact that she’d come all the way up here for seclusion. Something was bothering her, that’s why she’s up here, especially when she turned around with a swollen face. It didn’t take a genius to figure out she’d been crying even under such dim lighting. I stopped myself from wondering why so I wouldn’t care too much. I couldn’t.

When she mentioned my wheelchair, I wanted to run away from there. Ha ha, isn’t it funny? I felt like running but I couldn’t anyway. Knowing that I couldn’t go much further, I just waited for her next move and as expected, she moved closer towards me slowly and carefully, afraid that I might suddenly take off.

Somehow, I didn’t want to. I wanted to stay and look at her, indulge my senses in her that long forgotten how she felt.

She stood in front of my wheelchair and squatted down to meet my eyes that refused to meet hers. She was about to reach for my face, so she could bring her eyes to mine but she hesitated. Her hand stopped halfway and pulled back. She was afraid. Things weren’t the same anymore. She couldn’t just do anything towards me anymore. She was careful. And that hurt me because she no longer felt safe or comfortable around me.

“Surprise. I even have my own driver now. Isn’t that awesome?” I mumbled with a small chuckle, still refusing to meet her eyes.

She was still at lost for words. We were lost to do anything, to be honest. I didn’t know whether to be casual with her or still distant as I was with her. I didn’t know if my hand could reach out to hers and just hold it, like how I used to do. We were both feeling the same uncertainty. It didn’t feel good at all.

Kira stood up and turned away from me, her arm clutching onto one side of her hip. That wasn’t good. She’d only do that when she was mad. From what I saw, she was trying her best to keep her anger controlled. But even if she decided to lash out at me, I was ready. In fact, I deserved it. So I had no right to be mad at her for being mad at what I’d done to her.

“How long have you been in that?” She asked, still not looking at me.

“For about a year,” I briefly answered.

“Am I allowed to know what put you in a wheelchair?” Her voice was tense.

I chuckled. “Since when do you need permission?”

“Since you pushed me away, Jungkook,” her voice raised as she turned her head towards me, her eyes shining with tears threatening to fall again. “You pushed me away, causing hostility between us, making it awkward and… uncomfortable and you dare ask me if I need permission to know about this?”

I couldn’t respond.

“If we hadn’t met accidentally, I wouldn’t even know that you are in a wheelchair. Heck, I wouldn’t even know what you’re up to all these years. Because I don’t know what sort of pact you made with the guys, but their lips are sealed on telling me anything regarding you including Yoongi. Do you know how much that hurts me? Hanging out with the people that you introduced to me as my second family and then you vanished, and I had no right to know what you’ve been through all these years at least from the people who are close to you? Suddenly, we meet and you’re in a fcking wheelchair. How do you think I should react to that?”

I was fidgeting with the hem of my shirt when she demanded me to look at her when she was talking. I raised my head to see her fuming with restrained anger.

“You deserve to hit me, scream at me, curse at me, Kira. Do it. You need to do it. No one is here. Just you and me.”

She laughed wildly. “You think that’s going to solve anything?! The pain you caused me is in here, Jungkook.” She pointed to her heart. “It’s the whole of me! You ripped me apart before I had the chance to say anything to you. And right now, I don’t think you de

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter