Chapter 9

Adilah

Heads up! All of the chapters so far have been Adilah's point of view, so don't be confused. I am also having a lot of trouble with verbs. I just don't understand them, so if you see a lot of grammatical errors I am apologizing in advance.

***

 

The pounding in my head and my dry throat wake me up in the middle of the night. I am craving for water, so with only the moonlight to guide my way I get off my bed and head outside to go downstairs to the kitchen. Careful of not waking Travis, I cautiously lighten my steps.

 

"Do they think we did it?" I immediately stop on my way when my ears pick up Travis' voice behind the closed door of a room that is furthest from mine. Curious, I walk towards it.

 

"No. They think the rogues and the rebels did it." My heart throbs painfully on my chest. He's talking to someone. Someone who I heard before. I contemplate of going back, but I need information.

 

"When are we going to start the plan? We can't keep the girls there forever." I position myself beside the door to hear their conversation more clearly.

 

"Alexander will figure it out and Xavier is also there. As to when, it might take longer. Apparently two of the future Lunas attended the ball. They are not going to let this go easily like in the past." In the past? This has been happening before too?

 

"Did you find out who they are?"

 

"Do you think they will trust us with that information? Samirah is more clever than you think. She already suspects that we are tied to this, and she is planning something. Why do you think she let us organized the ball in the first place?" Then silence.

 

"Whatever it is, I'll just trust you." I roll my eyes. Like what I said, Travis doesn't think for himself.

 

"Then what about Adilah?" With the change of topic and my name mentioned, I uncomfortably shift in my place. Wrong move though because my knees pop.

 

Everything completely stills again, and I find myself using every cursed words that I know there is. It doesn't take long though for the commotion inside to start again. I decided to finally open the door. Thankfully it wasn't lock or it would have been extremely awkward. Not surprised,  I find Travis alone with the window behind him wide opened to reveal the dark sky. He must have been really determined not face me for jumping out from the second floor. I hope it hurts.

 

"Adilah! How long have you been there?" Travis greets me nonchalantly. He is sitting on a chair next to a expensive-looking oak table where a now empty chair is placed behind it. I roam my gaze around the room, and with the shelves and papers I can tell that this is an office. An alpha's office.

 

"Not that long. I was thirsty and was planning to get a drink when I heard you talking. I thought you have already lost it." I tell him the truth. They already caught me.

 

Instead of being worried he smiles at me, "Do you need help getting the water?"

 

I shake my head, "I am not thirsty anymore." I focus my gaze to the opened window once more before I slowly walk backwards to the door. " And can you please tell your Alpha that I don't like jerks, when you see him." Especially those who don't know how to introduce themselves properly to someone they did wrong to.

 

Travis laughs and nods, amusement in his eyes. "Got ya. Good night?"

 

"Yeah, good night." I close the door and return to my room, completely forgetting my thirst. Green eyes haunting every inch of my mind.

 

I don't like you Cole King. I pull the covers over me and drift to sleep once again.

 

***

 

"Wake up sleeping beauty!" The sound of curtains being slid open startle me awake. The sun rays hitting me straight to the face, something that I am not used to, remind me again of my current situation. I glare at the blue-eyed man who seems to have a smile plastered on his face all the time. What so good about the mornings? Especially this one.

 

"How could you come between a lady and her sleep?" I throw one of the pillows at him glad that he doesn't have time to deflect it.

 

"And good morning to you too. Get up, today is a big day!" He just cheerfully picks up the pillow and give it back to me. A move that only irritates me more.

 

"Big day? Yeah, right."

 

"Someone is not a fan of mornings. We are going to town to buy you some clothes. I mean no offense, but you kinda stink right now."

 

I stare down at my clothes which is still the same as the one Crimson had given us as a disguise at the day of the Annual ball. The white shirt is now starting to change its color. I haven't showered for 2 days.

 

"Just the two of us?" I inquire.

 

He clearly got the meaning of it all wrong because he gives me his signature smirk that I am starting to get used to. "Why? Do you want someone else to accompany us?"

 

I throw him one of my nasty glares again. "I am merely curious."

 

He chuckles, "Don't worry it just the two of us for now. He has something to do today."

 

"This early?"

 

"It's already 10 in the morning, my dear. Everyone here is already wide awake. Now, want some pancakes before we go?"

 

I sigh, "Okay. And please don't call me your darling." This might be my chance of escaping.


"No problem."

***

 

Travis lend me one of his own shirt to wear just so people don't stare at my dirty self while we are in town. It's too big for me but I don't really care of how I look. I am also a little nervous of going outside, but curious at the same time.

 

The drive to there is indeed long, but not boring for I manage to catch a glimpse of how this pack truly looks like. There are a lot of trees but the road is well-developed much like in the Liberty pack. There are also a lot of electric cables around, though the houses are scattered and are miles apart. At least in this side of the pack, as Travis had said. He told me that the main city is crowded with people but it is closer to the Western border,  which is the most advanced pack in this territory. Alexander, the Western Alpha, made it possible for them to have electricity even in an isolated place like this. They are a good ally of the Eastern pack. Benetha and Crimson are there right now. I wonder if they are on this plan? I don't want to ask Travis about it for I know he wouldn't answer me properly anyways.

 

A dreaded 5 hours and we have arrived in our destination. It is a small town, much like our village back in the Equality pack. The only difference is that most of the buildings are stores, and you can count the women present here by your two hands. A few of them are pregnant. I suddenly don't want to explore anymore as I remember where I truly am. This is not where I belong. Those women are not where they should be. Travis is the first one to go out the car, and he walks to my side to open the door for me. He extends his hand for me to take. I eye him suspiciously, "What is that?"

 

He seems confused for a moment, then lower his hand in understanding. He scratches his head. "Sorry, but it is necessary here for a woman to be accompanied by his mate. We need to pretend that we are together." I stare at him defiantly, "I am not a citizen of this place so I will follow my own rules." I hop out of the car and ignore him.

 

"Fair enough. But at least stay close to me, we don't want trouble."

 

I don't like his suggestion but nonetheless wait for him to start walking before I do. I was hoping to have a time for myself to ask around, but I didn't know that it's like this in here. Travis picks the store to go to. I scrunch up my face though when I see that the only women clothes that they have are feminine dresses, no pants and blouse. I just choose the simplest ones that they have. When it is time to pay for the items, we approach a teenage boy in the counter. I place the items in front of him, Travis following closely behind me with his wallet in hand. He is obviously paying for them.

 

When the boy finished scanning all of the things,  which I watch in awe,  he turns to Travis without acknowledging me.

 

"That would be 100." I stop Travis from giving him the money.

 

"I don't appreciate being ignored here." He looks taken aback when I speak. Like it is the first time he has heard someone speak before. Maybe, a woman. But even though he is flustered he still ignores me, "Are you paying for it or not?"

 

"Why are you so--" Travis cuts me off by stepping in front of me and giving the money to the boy. After he's done, I storm out of there gaining the attention of some bystanders. Travis is apologizing at them.

 

"Why are you apologizing?" I ask him angrily.

 

He sighs, "That boy there isn't trying to be rude. It is a protocol to only speak to a woman with the permission of her mate. He doesn't have a choice."

 

"Why a protocol like that exists?" I lower my voice before I continue, "If you really want an integration to happen why create laws like that?"

 

Travis stare down at me intently, "It's not that easy. People are used to do things as they have been raised to. That is why the idea of integration is so far-fetched in our minds. We never think that it is possible,  because we are forced to think that way."

 

I've gone silent. It's the first time Travis said something so serious. I observe my surroundings once more. I feel like an outsider, but when I think of it another way it will be the same if a man is in our society.

 

"Have you met your mother?" It is out of topic, and I don't even know why I ask it.

 

Something waver in his eyes, but he quickly mask it. "No." He flatly replies.

 

"I haven't met my father also." I whisper. I might have gone crazy. For all I know, he doesn't care. Anyone here could be my father.

 

"We still have a lot to do in our lives." And the cheerful Travis is back again. He really reminds me of Benetha.

 

"I guess." I am about to turn away when I catch a woman staring at me from a vintage store. When she noticed that I am looking, she scurries to go inside.

 

"Do you think I can go to another store?" I question Travis while still focusing on the store.

 

"Sure. I need to do something anyways. I'll bring you to one then come back for you later."

 

"Then I want to go there." I point to it.

 

"Okay. Want some money?" He pulls out his wallet.

 

"Are you sure of that? You are spending a lot for me."

 

He only smiles, "No I am not. This is Cole's money, that is why I am not afraid to spend it. He told me to buy anything that you want."

 

"How sweet." I say sarcastically. "But if he said so." We start going there. Hopefully I will get some answers like how to get to the Western pack for example.

 

***