Chapter 8

Adilah

"Do you know what integrate means?" I can't fathom the revelations that he just told me just now. I don't want to even think about the last one.

 

"Of course. It's to combine, mix, blend, or merge. Do you want me to keep going?" He is clearly mocking me. I really want to wipe out that arrogant side of his.

 

"And do you think that's possible with what we are doing now?" I hope that he at least understands that we are arguing.

 

"What? You ate my pancakes." He answers innocently. And for once I make up my mind that the most stupidest person to ever exist is right in front of me, and worse I am having a serious conversation with him.

 

"I want to go home."

 

"You already said that like a hundred times." He picks up my cup and start washing it up in the sink.

 

"I am going to do it myself then." I make my way to the nearest exit that I found and step outside. A warm breeze passes through me. Now I understand why Travis said that the East is the pack of sunshine, everything is green and no clouds are at sight allowing the sun to spread its light as far as it can. No hint of winter at all,  and strangely enough I cannot see other signs of houses other than this intimidating villa. How can the alpha's place be so far away from his people?

 

With my bare feet I step on the dirt ground slowly and inspect the surroundings once more. I cannot hear anything other than the wind, they did a pretty good job of isolating me. I glance at Travis who is watching me patiently at the door.

 

"The next town is 5 hours away. Even if you use your wolf, with all these trees around you will easily get lost." He says confidently, knowing that I am aware of what he's talking about. I am not going to give him the satisfaction though and I make my move towards the line of trees. With my keen sense of hearing I hear him sigh, "It's dangerous too. The rogues are unusually active these days, and they like to roam around in places like this." That makes me stop. "You know of the rumors that they exploit women around here." I shiver at his words. Rogues are weres that decided to be on their own and not follow the law of the society. We have our own ones in our territory,  and even though I haven't seen one personally the rumors about them are enough for me to know that you don't want to cross paths with them, especially male rogues.

 

"So what do you suggest I do?" I snarl at him for destroying my hope of escaping today. I am tired, I haven't changed my clothes and I just want to see my mom, Benetha, and even Crimson right now. I miss my room and even the cold that my pack can only offer. Anger is already consuming me. I want to rip someone apart, preferably this guy right here or his Alpha who is enjoying himself somewhere.

 

A little bit of guilt shows its way to Travis' blue eyes, but it quickly fade away. "I am not the one in charge here, so I cannot do anything. I'm sorry, but the best chance you'll have is to wait and talk to him. He's not that bad especially since you're his mate."

 

I sniffle, "Mates don't kidnap their mates, or other girls for the matter."

 

"I know it's hard to understand. But for now can we go back inside? He's not going to be happy if he finds out that you are outside at this time." He steps out of the door and waits for me to move. I guess he can be a gentleman if he wants to. Having not much of a choice I comply, but before I fully enter inside I ask him, "Who is your Alpha again?"

 

"Cole King."

***


I already have a pretty good idea of what my mate might look like considering that I remember seeing him on the television once. It was not his full face, but his dark hair and green eyes are good enough for me to create a picture. He was also the same man who made me unconscious. I will keep that in mind. It's already night time, and I think I am going to survive the day with this man sitting and watching with me on the couch. I hope it stays that way. Not enjoying the movie that Travis has chosen himself, I decided to just bother him with questions. He deserves it for kidnapping me.

 

"What put the idea of integration in your heads?"

 

Travis detaches his gaze from the movie for the first time and gives his full attention to me. "I don't know. I'm just following Cole." He says while grabbing a popcorn and put it in his mouth. It's actually amazing to see how seeds can turn to something edible so fast.

 

"Even though it involves kidnapping girls? So if he jumps in a cliff, you will jump too?"

 

He thinks about it deeply, "I haven't thought of that, but I am pretty sure Cole wouldn't do such a stupid thing. But maybe, who knows?"

 

I almost choke him at that moment. He infuriates me, but I have no one else to talk to. I can't believe I am saying this but I think Benetha is pretty normal compared to this one.

 

"Can you tell me where my friends are?" I change the topic.

 

He tilts his head to the side, a gesture that only makes him more youthful. I got to admit that he has something to brag about physically. I blame Benetha and her "beautiful creatures" speech for that thinking.

 

"Don't worry about them. They're safe and are being treated nicely just like you. They are staying in the Western pack. We brought all the girls there. You are the only one here because of Cole." They must be close for him not address Cole as Alpha.

 

"Then are you at least sure that I am his mate?" I ask again before he turns back to the movie.

 

"That's what he told me."

 

"Do you have a mind of your own?" I question him. All he's been telling me all day is Cole this and Cole that.

 

"I don't need to. Cole is the mind and I am the body. I just do what I am told to do." He smiles smugly, proud of his stupid little mantra.

 

"How nice. I wonder who the heart is." I finally decide to play along for once, it's tiring to disagree with someone all day.

 

"I don't know. It can't be Xavier because he's heartless." Just like I predicted he takes it seriously. "It can be you, since you are going to be our Luna soon."

 

"No thanks." I am already going to be a Luna of another pack, and I am not planning to be your Alpha's mate. I grab some popcorn for myself.

 

***


The feeling that I am floating pulls me out of my deep slumber. I might have fallen asleep while watching the movie, and I am aware that I'm on someone's arms right now. I don't have the energy to protest though, I'm at my weakest when I'm in this state. The chest of this unknown person is also strangely comforting,  so without thinking further I snuggle to it closer. I feel it tense for a moment then relaxes. This suddenly reminds me of my mother. She used to rock me to sleep when I was a kid, because it wasn't on my priority list back then. It's funny as I grow older all I want is to have that luxury again, not thinking of not having enough time to rest and sleep. I gave my mother a hard time.

 

"I'll be good, mom."  I mumble unconsciously. I hear the door squeaks, and soon after I am laying on a soft bed. Someone drape a sheet over me. I instinctively grab its arm. The sparks are apparent even though my mind is hazy.

 

"I'll be good."

 

"I know." I feel someone's breath on my face. I don't dislike it though, it smells like mint.

 

"Go to sleep, Adilah." The voice lulls me back to sleep again.

 

***

 

I wish someone can carry me like that. Nah, just kidding! Chapter 8 ~