Chapter 23

Adilah

Adilah~

 

The broadcast and Samirah's death did shake the peace in the entire territory.  People start questioning their leaders, and small rebellions and fights erupted. The North is especially hit hard, frustrating Alpha Jackson whom I only heard about from Alexander a couple of days ago. While the Hope pack is devastated that their Luna is gone and the next in line is still not ready to take over.

 

With Faith's leadership and the other's support though, everything is kept under control. Life continues as it is. I offer to stay in the Hope pack for Rae since I can't bear to leave her alone in her state. Cole and Alexander left a couple of days ago to sort things out in their own packs. We decided that Cole and I need our own space to think through what's going to happen to us next, which is ideal for our situation. 

 

"She's out yet?" Crimson joins me in the foyer where I spend most of my time here waiting for Rae to come down from her room. The girl surprised me when she said that she's staying too. But that is because she told me that she has nothing better to do at the Liberty pack anyways. 

 

I sigh, "No. I don't think she ate her breakfast yet either." Rae is definitely depressed. Even though Samirah was cruel, she is still her mother. I would be the same if it happens to my mom.

 

"The people here are not angry with her. They like her, and they would be happy to welcome her as their Luna."

 

"I know. But I think she thinks otherwise." Samirah's last words are embedded in her mind, I am sure of it. Way to leave your only daughter alone. But what's done is done. I decide to stand up.

 

Crimson watches me carefully,  "Where are you going?"

 

"Going to give this place a little hope. "

 

***

 

I knock on the door softly. "Who is it? I am not hungry." Her voice sounds raspy from crying. "It's me. Adilah." Silence, then the door opens. The cheerful girl that I met is gone, and the life in her blue eyes dull. "May I come in?"

 

Rae let me and I can't help but to observe around. Unlike her room in town where we met her, there's no sign that this one has been used daily. No personal belongings, and just a couple of chairs and a bedside table as furniture. It's more of a guest room.

 

"I don't sleep here very often. I like to be with the people, so I have a house downhill." As if reading my mind she told me. "How are you feeling?" I walk my way to one of the chairs nearest to me to show her that I am staying a little longer because she is still standing by the door. I usually just check on her or drop her something to eat. She shrugs, "I'm fine."

 

I narrow my eyes at her, "Then why are you still here. It's time to go out, Rae. This pack needs you." Insecurities make their way in her eyes. She's afraid. "I don't think I am ready. I am too young."

 

"Faith was your age when she became a Luna." Crimson sticks her head out of the door and enters to in the conversation.

 

"Faith is strong."

 

"So are you." I move to her and hold her hands, "You love this pack more than anything that's why you even went against your mother. That's a very brave thing to do. And besides, you saved my life." I touch the wounds on my neck that are still in the process of healing, Rae needs to stop feeling sorry for herself. "I'll help you with anything, so don't hesitate no more."

 

Crimson comes closer. "We. I'll help too. " Rae finally burst into tears, and we both hug her. "Do what you like for yourself this time." She nods in between us.  "Okay."

 

It's the start of the change.

 

***

 

The progress comes slowly. After Rae became the official Luna of the Hope pack, and the youngest one that there is now, Faith calls for a council meeting to talk about the changes in the treaty that we would want to implement. This time though it's different because the Alphas are joining us, and the venue is our pack again. So I am back from the beginning, hassling myself in preparing for the meeting and surely leaving the peanuts alone because of Crimson's allergy. We've become close these past days, to which Benetha keep fussing about.

 

"This event is going down in history and you are not properly dressed for it." Speaking of the she-wolf. 

 

"I am not participating. I'm not the Luna yet." I bite the apple that I have and savor its sweetness. Stress is finally taking over me since I am hungry.

 

"Technically you already are. Your mate is an Alpha." I choke. Benetha hands me the water while rolling her eyes. I am trying not to think of Cole because we haven't seen each other in awhile after he left the Hope pack. We also didn't have a way to communicate at the least so it scares me a little to see him today. Of course, he's coming, aside from the Alpha of the North and the South, I'm pretty sure that he and Alexander are going to be here today.

 

"Someone's dying here?" Crimson pops out of nowhere. She has always been like that.

 

"The one with the love problem. I can't believe that I am the one who is scolding you now about relationships!" Benetha exclaims. The nerve of this girl.

 

"I don't have a relationship with anyone, and you have no reason to scold me. We haven't even seen each other for a long time. For all I know he might have already forgotten me." I rumble as they both look at me weirdly. "What?"

 

Crimson's lips break into a teasing smile, "You may tell him that now personally." I tense when a familiar scent wraps around me from behind. The two bumble heads make a stand to leave me alone while they greet the last person that I wanted to see right now on their way. I give it time before I slowly turn around. He is even more breathtaking than he was before.

 

"Who has forgotten who again?" He stalks toward me and each time I back away until I can't anymore.

 

"Um... long time no see?" He flashes a lopsided smile, the one that can squeeze my heart. "I miss you." He grabs my hand and kisses it lightly, the sparks are the only thing that's stopping me from being in a complete daze. This is seriously not fair, he can't make me go crazy like this all of a sudden.

 

"Cole." I breathlessly say.

 

"Hmmm.."

 

"I think the meeting is about to start." I offer him a smug smile to which he only shakes his head at and chuckles.

 

"Still the same. I guess it can wait since we still have a world to change. "

 

"Yeah."

 

***

 

The meeting proceeded smoothly. Just as I predicted, the Alpha of the South and the North didn't come although the North is courteous enough to leave a note as to why their Alpha couldn't attend. He's busy. For the South, well I'm sure they really don't care. 

 

There aren't any drastic changes. They figured that the people would be more comfortable if we take things slowly, step by step. So they only settled for visitation rights to all the packs who are willing to agree. It's going to be a challenge to implement it and there are still a lot of things to discuss, so another meeting is a must. At least we're going somewhere this time. Rae also seems to be coping up well with her new duties as a Luna. For now, everything is in the right place. Except me.

 

"A penny for your thoughts?" I look up to see Cole longingly staring at me. I didn't notice it earlier, but his eyes are tired and dark circles surrounding it. I'm sure that it's the same for me. The bond made it hard for the both of us.

 

"I guess I owe you an answer." 
 

***
 

Time to lighten up the mood. Almost done!