Chapter 10

Adilah

I stay at the door of the shop as Travis talk to its owner, a man in his early thirties.  Since I can't be without a mate,  he is telling the store owner that he is giving me permission to do whatever I want here. Much to my disgust at the idea of it, I keep my mouth shut and wait like a good lady.

 

A few minutes more and their conversation ended. "He said you are free to do anything here until I get back. But don't talk to other males, in fact, don't even go near them. I will get into trouble. "

 

"I am not that stupid." That is the last thing that's on my mind right now. I scan the area for the lady again. I can't see her because of the aisles that made the store much like a maze.

 

"I didn't say that. I'll catch you up in a bit." Finally, Travis leaves. He needs to train again on his guarding skills. You should never leave your responsibility alone, but then again I will not have this chance if he's a good guard. I tentatively make my move, aware that the owner's eyes are still on me. I go inside one of the aisles to avoid him. By the looks of it, it looks like they sell antiques here. Too bad that I can't touch any of them because they are inside a glass case. I am distracted by the old pieces when something clatters from the other side. I quickly walk towards there. Glad enough that the woman that I am looking for is busy picking up the mess. I move to help her.

 

"It's okay, Luna. You don't have to help me." I stop short of approaching her.

 

"How did you know?"

 

She stares at me, embarrassed for some reason. "Right I am sorry, you don't know me. I am an Equality pack member." Hope suddenly enters my spirit. This is it. "I am so glad that I meet you. Have you found your mate? Is he in here?"

 

"He owns this place." Of course, that is why she works here. She also looks around his age.

 

"Have you been here long enough?"

 

"About two years now." My forehead creased in confusion. Two years is too long for producing an heir. She grasps my expression easily, "We are having trouble producing a child."

 

"Oh." That is the only thing that I can say. I don't have any knowledge about the subject, and quite frankly I don't want to even touch it. "Anyways do you like it in here?" I start a casual conversation with her first to avoid suspicion. I just can't trust anyone just yet.

 

"It's actually quite nice. I mean at first, I was scared to death.  But Matt is a good mate and he treats me well." She looks genuinely happy. But that is not the expression that I saw from the ones who got back from this place in our pack. My mind is getting confused every minute that I am here. "How about you, Luna? I assume that you have already found your mate. How is he like?"

 

Well... someone who knocked me out and brought me to his place unwilling. He also ran away from me and jumped from the second floor just to do that. Of course I am not going to tell her that, and besides, I am pretending that Travis is my mate.

 

"He's sweet." He knows how to make sweet stuff, that's for sure.

 

"It's actually not as bad as we have told it was. If you found the right person, I mean." She gives me a smile, finally warming up to me.

 

"I am glad that you're happy." I really am, but my situation is definitely opposite hers. She's lucky. Maybe there is more to integration than what I think. Maybe it is possible for some people. "Do you happen to know how to get to the Western pack?"

 

In my change of topic, the lady blinks in confusion. "I am sorry. But I just heard a lot of good things about them." I say as an excuse.

 

"Their border is not far from here. I think it will take 8 to 10 hours to get there. We usually get our supplies of antiques from there."

 

"That's great!" Not. 10 hours is too long, I need a car or something to ride on.

 

"My mate is going there today to get some goods. " She adds. I almost hug her in glee.

 

"When?"

 

"Payton, I need to go now! Watch the shop for me will you?"

 

"I think right now." She excuses herself and I follow her. Payton is now introducing me to her mate, Matt, and just like she told me he is likable and matured. Not like the ones I met so far.

 

"Umm... I need a favor to ask you two." They both look at me expectantly.

 

"Sure. Anything." Payton urges me to continue.

 

"I need a ride to go to the Western pack. Do you think you can give me a lift?" I cross my fingers. Maybe, just maybe I still have some luck left.

 

***

 

My acting skills help me to convince Payton and Matt to help me with my request. I told them that I want to surprise Travis, my supposed to be mate, by buying something there. I didn't tell them what exactly because I don't know what do they have there that the Eastern pack doesn't have, but I guess they trust people easily and agreed without questioning me further. I feel a little guilty about it. I also asked Payton to not to mention where I'm going to Travis just in case he comes back early for it's a surprise, but I know I'm not going to have a lot of time before Travis suspects that there is something wrong. I just hope that I am long gone before he takes action. I really need to go to Benetha and Crimson.

 

On our way, Matt and I drive through the main city that Travis had mentioned to me earlier. Like he said, it is indeed crowded with people. Mostly men and cars and other forms of transportation like the long steel one that travels above the railings which Matt called a train filled the street with loud noises that I personally didn't like. Good thing we go by there fast, and soon enough a metal wall with cameras and guards surrounding it stops our way.

 

"Good day, John." Matt greets a young man in a uniform that has come to check us. I don't dare to move in my sit. Matt hands him what I think is his identification card. Their security is tighter than ours back in my pack.

 

"I see that you got a new girl with you." I can feel him digging a hole at the side of my face, and I only look down at my hands.

 

"She's working for me. Payton is sick, so I ask her to accompany me instead." Matt makes up an excuse for me. I really owe him a lot.

 

"Still hiring women, ey. Good luck with that." I can hear his disgust with the idea of women working, and it takes all of my strength not to glare at him.

 

"You have a good day, Officer." I finally release the breath that I am holding when we drive past there.

 

"Thank you for giving me a ride." I turn to Matt once again who nods at me in return. He only speaks to me when I ask him a question, and I don't really mind it since I am not good at conversations anyways. A few more minutes and he pulls over at the side of the road where I don't recognize a thing.

 

"This is how far I can drive here." I know he's going to say that, but I don't know this place and to tell the truth I am scared.

 

"Don't worry I know my way. Thank you again. I really appreciate it." Honest, this is the first time that a man helped me. Not to mention that Matt is not that younger than my mother. If I know my Dad, I want to imagine him just like Matt.

 

"Now look. I know that the man there at the store isn't your mate." He says to me before I move to unlock the door. For a moment I keep thinking that my cover is blown. "Your real mate is somewhere around here, yes? A lot of traffickers roam around here. You need to be careful next time. You are lucky that we found you." I suppress a smile and try to look genuinely relief. Who would have thought that someone would think that Travis is a trafficker of women? But it is sad that it is common here.

 

"I am really grateful for your help. I was so scared that I am never going to see my real mate ever again." I act.

 

"Run along now."

 

I hop out of the car, but before I close the door I turn to Matt once again. "How did you know that Travis and I are not mates?"

 

He smiles knowingly, "Because he would have never leave your side if he was your real one."

 

I mask my confusion with a smile. My supposed to be real mate is running away from me, I think he just really cares about Payton so much that is why he thinks like that. This world is not as perfect as them. And yet here they are.

 

"I'll never forget the two of you. One last thing, please also tell Payton that I am not it yet. My mother is still the one." He tries to decipher the last thing that I said but quickly drops it in the end. He says his goodbye to me once more, and I watch him drive away.

 

I turn to face the new unfamiliar place behind me. It's time to face my ultimate fear, walking amongst others who don't see me as their equal. Alone.

 

***

 

I made it too easy for her to escape, don't you think? But let's give Adi a break,  and besides, I miss writing about Benetha and Crimson. It's time to find them. Travis is going to be in big trouble.