Chapter 2

Adilah

Adilah:

 

I hate gatherings, and my life is full of them. As the future Luna, I am expected to be as social as possible. So here I am currently in charge of hosting the council meeting in which all of the Lunas from the 4 packs meet up to talk about their pack's progress and their future plans every 5 months. Unfortunately, today is the 5th month and our pack is the venue this time.

 

"Adilah, you know too well that Crimson is allergic to peanuts." My mom eyes me disapprovingly as I set the snack that someone handed to me earlier on the refreshments table. "Crimson, she's coming? I thought she hates this as much as I do."

 

Crimson Dale is the future Luna of the Liberty pack. We are around the same age and have seen each other several times during the council meetings but we never really talk to know that she's allergic to peanuts.

 

"Well, just put that back inside. They're going to be here very soon."

 

I begrudgingly take back the tasty looking shells to the kitchen, where I find Benetha busy munching every food that she can grab onto . Being my only childhood friend, she can stay in our house freely and thinks that she earned the right to eat whatever she wants.

 

"How cute, my mom knows that Crimson is allergic to peanuts."

 

She continues munching while rolling her eyes at me. When is cleared she finally answers, "She's weird. Never really get her."

 

I smirk as I also grab myself some food to chew on while waiting, "she's nice but too untamed. "

 

"She's from the liberty pack, what do you expect? What's important to them is 'me, myself, and I'". She dramatically exclaims, hugging herself. Crazy

 

"Ahem."

 

We stop laughing and look up to see a fiery, redhead girl who stares back at us blankly.

 

"Oh, Crimson didn't know that you're there," Benetha says shyly, avoiding the visitor's chocolate brown eyes.

 

"Do you need something?" I ask politely, not affected by the situation. It's our opinion and we are entitled to have one. Now I am speaking like a real Equality pack member.

 

"The meeting is going to start and your mother wants me to get you." She smirks and I groan. Talking about embarrassing me all the time -- mothers.

 

I sigh, " I'll be right there." She thankfully leaves quickly without waiting for me.

 

"Good luck." Benetha insincerely wishes me as she continues her munching.

 

"Pig."

 

I walk out just in time to dodge the nuts that she aimed at me.

 

  ***

 

Minutes later and I find myself seated between my mother and the Luna of the Justice pack -- Faith, the youngest Luna there is. She's only 4 years older than me but she acts like my mom does. Very umm... Luna-like. I don't bother myself to listen to the conversation and keep squirming in my seat that my mom needed to throw me one of her nasty glare to settle me. I hate it when I am forced to stay in one place without a reason. I am not the Luna yet so I don't have to worry what they're talking about. I am pretty sure with her current condition, my mother can still live for another century.

 

"So the Annual Ball is next month." I snap out of my daze state when I hear Faith bring the subject up that's been bothering me these past days. Crimson who is facing me from the opposite side of the oval table also flick her eyes in interest for the first time. We have a lot in common than I give credit for.

 

"Oh yes. My daughter is going this year for the first time, and so is Adilah?" Lila, the current Luna of the Liberty pack and Crimson's mother, replies pleasantly. She's always like that, a polar opposite of her daughter who doesn't like anyone.

 

"Of course. The ball, it is already that time of the year." My mother addresses back, not hiding her disapproval. As I said, she's the most conservative Luna there is next to Faith. She hates the Annual ball for some reason, and I am guessing so is my father. The keyword -- guessing.

 

"Now, now the young ladies can't miss the fun and privileges that we had right?" In a very sweet voice, I look up to see Luna Samirah smiling at me meaningfully. I shiver as I hold the wise,blue eyes of the Luna of Hope and possibly one of the oldest person alive today though she looks about my mother's age. There are rumors that she is one of the founders who established our pack system today and the treaty that we all abide to. She usually doesn't talk in the meetings which I reckon is a good thing, and if she does then that is to signal that the discussion has come to a conclusion. I don't know much about the Hope pack. They are mysterious as their Luna, and I hear so is her daughter that no one has ever seen yet.

 

My mother clears to break the silence that falls around us suddenly, then like magic, everyone returns back to their old boring conversations like nothing happened. Sheesh, adults. Just as I am about to detach myself again to the world around me, I hear a light tap at the closed door. We are currently at one of my mom's meeting room, and with all of the voices I could have easily missed it if it not for my sharp sense of hearing. Another tap, and I finally excuse myself to go to the restroom. A classic one. Sure enough, Benetha is waiting for me outside.

 

"Be thankful, ungrateful one. I just saved your right now."

 

"Jeez, thanks."

 

She playfully gives me her arm, and I wrap mine around it. We are ready to make our daring escape again which I know my mother already suspected as she gave me the eye before she allowed me to go when the door opens behind us again. For a second I thought my mother has changed her mind, but I frown when a determined Crimson faces us.

 

"We need to talk."

 

"About what?" Benetha asks for me.

 

"About the Annual ball, and...." She hesitates, and my heart quickens as I get an idea of what she is going to tell me next.

 

"And?" I question because she needs it to say the next words that we are not allowed to ever say.

 

"How are we going to get out of it."

 

  ***

Leave a comment and vote. I don't bite :)