Chapter 24

Adilah

Adilah~

 

The late winter in the Equality pack highlights the beauty of the place. Everything is still covered in snow, but some of the rays of the sun are finally starting to escape the thick clouds above, making the pieces of ice on the tree branches glow like crystals.  I invite Cole to walk with me outside. I want him to see the place where I grew up, where I feel like I truly belonged once.
 

"This is where my mother took the picture of me making the snow angel." I point to a clearing a couple of miles away from the back of the house. Benetha and I used to go here and play all the time when we were young, but as of right now it's just an empty space full of nostalgia. He bends down and grabs a handful of ice to test between his fingers. "I wish I had the chance to have seen it." He mumbles more to himself and straightens up again. 
 

I put my hands together to keep them warm. "Your plan of integration didn't really happen even without Samirah." Before I thought it was a crazy idea, one that I would have never considered. But my experiences months ago changed who I am. I want to see the world as it is, not from someone else's perspective.
 

"She was right. She's not the only one." Cole stares off the distance with something in mind. "We can't get what we want right away. It's a process. We still have a long way to go." He closes the gap between us, grabbing my hands and wrapping them in his big ones. "Besides it wasn't really unsuccessful."

 

I crease my forehead in wonder, "How come? The visitation rights?"
 

His green eyes travel every inch of my face, memorizing it like it's the first time that he has seen it. Self-consciousness strikes me, and I bow my head down to hide from him. He tilts my chin up and eyes me seriously. "I found you." I can't help it when the heat spreads out through my entire face. I'm sure I am red as a tomato and while I'm dying of shame, he seems to be enjoying it with a smile of his. This Alpha of mine. And that thought hit me hard. I already accepted him. He's mine. I playfully push him away a little bit. "I guess it can't be helped. "
 

His whole features brighten up in anticipation, but with a heavy heart, I grab the side of his face with an apologetic expression. "Cole let's take it slow." I bite my bottom lip in nervousness that he might get angry at what I just said.
 

He didn't. Instead, he sighs deeply, a little disappointed. "You're not going with me today."
 

I shake my head and put my arms around him. "Not today." My pack still needs me, and with all the complicated matters I can't leave my mother alone with all the responsibility. I am the future Luna of my own pack, and he has his own to tend to. Maybe someday our packs can be together, but we didn't achieve that feat with this fight. Just a fragment of what we want, we have to continue working for the rest. "We can always visit each other at any time."

 

Cole nods his head. "Yeah. At least I can be at peace leaving you knowing that there aren't any males around here."

 

"Yet." I and he growls while pulling me closer to him again. It's my turn to smile now.
 

"You should always remember that you're mine, Adilah." 
 

I rest my forehead on his own, "You don't have to remind me. I'm yours, Cole King."
 

And I have my first kiss in the snow.

 

***