Chapter 1

Adilah

Adilah:

 

The only thing that I know about men is that they're the most conceited creatures to ever exist and that they are the reason why this world has had the unfortunate fate of experiencing wars.

 

"Come on, it can't be that bad," Benetha says to me with her desperate blue eyes. She got it from her father according to her mom, but she has never seen him to confirm it.

 

"Bennie, you know how I don't like sneaking into my mother's office. It makes me feel like a criminal." She wants to watch it again, the coverage about the Annual ball which is happening next month before my 18th birthday (sadly) and the only television that this pack has is in my mother's office - the Luna of the Equality pack.

 

"You did it once, remember. " She glowers at me. Yes, I did do it once in the hopes of finding something exciting. I didn't find anything interesting though just boring news affairs.

 

"Oh come on. They already did a live coverage in the plaza yesterday." I swing my bow and arrows to my shoulder as I carefully make my way down the uneven path.

 

We went hunting this morning, but are not lucky. The animals are scarce due to the start of the harsh autumn weather. The Equality pack is situated in the northernmost part of the territory, so it gets colder here easily as winter is approaching.

 

"You know that they always cut the good parts, right?" Benetha pursues on, not wanting to drop the subject. I expect nothing less from my stubborn childhood friend.

 

I sigh, "What's the point? We are attending it next month." She squeals as I remind her of the nightmare that is to come. The Annual Ball is where all the young maiden of the right age gets to participate at least once a year in the hopes of finding their mates. I almost cried when my mother first told me about it when I was young. She always reminds me that men cannot be trusted for the reason that they will lure you into a fantasy only to push you into a nightmare next. Yeah, it sounds stupid especially as your bedtime story. I also asked her about my father that day too, but it was a sensitive topic that I am not allowed to ever mention again.

 

"I wonder what he looks like? My mate..."

 

I snort at her optimism about this, "Remember what they told us that men are ugly wolves?"

 

It's her time to roll her eyes at me, "Do you still believe the elders? They only said that because they are bitter about their tragic love lives. Besides my friend Macey from the Justice pack once showed me a picture of a real man, and oh lord he is beautiful."

 

Doubting her claims like always I pretend to be swayed, " Fine, believe what you want. There's a reason why we are living separately from them though."

 

The story is getting old and annoying really, but nonetheless, it will be forever embedded in our minds. We are raised to continue on the treaty that our ancestors had died for. Once women were treated inferior to men, and the society was run by them. With our ancestors' bravery, we gained equality. The society for women are created and four packs named after the virtues the treaty is set to protect -- Liberty, Justice, Equality, and Hope emerged. It has only been a decade since it all happened, but our generation seems to have forgotten the significance of it.

 

" So, are you going to help me? Please, Adi." We can now see my house that is at the center of the pack. It is simple, as my mother is the most conservative Luna. Almost all the other packs already embraced technology and modernism, but ours stick to the old ways.

 

"Fine. Might as well know the ugly wolves that I am about to face soon."

***

 

I know it would be too easy. As I pick the lock in my mother's office, Benetha watches for incoming trouble. This is not the first time that we have done this, so not too long and we are already inside. The office is as humble as our home, everything is old school except for the television that's located at the center wall of the place. My mother has it to keep in touch with what is going on with the other packs and the packs beyond the border. I never got interested in it before, but I know how to use it. I close the door and lock it, luckily the guards are on patrol today and mom is doing some Luna matters.

 

"How do you make it work?"

 

I pick up the remote and turn it on. A familiar newscaster invades the screen, she announces the ball every year. Benetha squeals again before pulling me closer to it.

 

"Most of the eligible bachelor of the Eastern pack are going to attend this year, and there are rumors that their Alpha is also going to participate..."

 

I scrunch up my forehead. Well, that's new, usually, the Alpha has a privilege to visit any pack that he wants and pick a wife for himself. That's just the tradition, so no future Alpha has to come to a stupid dance. But then a future Luna needs to -- how unfair life is even now.

 

"Oh my gosh, did you hear that?!"

 

"Obviously I am right next to you."

 

She ignores my sarcastic comment and turns back her attention to the news.

 

"The new Alpha is said to be challenging the norms that the previous generations have been keenly following..."

 

Suddenly a picture of a young man, who looks no older than 19 pops up on the screen. He's like a royalty alright, with the nice contrast of his dark hair and green eyes. What an odd combination. Not gonna lie, you can tell that he's good looking even though half of his face is covered by a black mask. I wonder what he fully looks like, not that I am interested. Benetha elbows me, "Told you they are beautiful creatures." I just roll my eyes as I can't argue with this one.

 

"Saying that if he ever finds his mate, he wants to -" I suddenly turn it off.

 

"Hey, I am still listening!" Benetha whines as I shush her. I hear some footsteps outside the house, being the next Luna has its perks. "I think mom is back."

 

"But the good part is just starting." Yeah, right.

 

"Well I am leaving, good luck explaining." I open the window nearest to our spot and hop over it, another piece of cake since our home is a one-story building. My friend appears like she wanted to argue, but she is scared of my mom so she shrugs it off. "I think we are going to die of boredom when you become the Luna. You're no fun."

 

"Well, what can I say, I am my mother's child."

 

With that, we escape trouble like we always do.
 

 

*End of Chapter 1*

I'll try to update at least once a week! If you can't wait any longer feel free to check the story in Wattpad.