Chapter 6

Adilah

Crimson is leading the way as we go further away from the place we have been just minutes ago. The surroundings are now getting unfamiliar to me, but with Crimson with us I am not worried of getting lost. I would rather be lost than be near Luna Samirah either. I keep my sight straight ahead, and act as normal as I can be. There are not a lot of guards wandering around which surprised me. Crimson says that most of them are in the surveillance room or at the center line where the big curtain is at.

A few more walking and a long hallway stretches ahead of us. We are finally away from the crowd. "There is a door at the end that leads to the server's quarter. It is connected to the place we are heading to. But first..." She suddenly opens a door next to us and enters inside. Without questiong, Benetha and I follow her in. "We need to change out of these awful fabrics, and pose as servants." She hands us a pair of folded clothes that are in the corner of the room earlier.

"You really planned this well." Benetha comments while examining the black trouser and the white shirt. I get ready to remove my dress, anything is fine with me than this heavy clothing.

"Told you to trust me."

It didn't take us long enough to change, and somehow I am now enjoying the thrill of all of this. We are on a disguise right now, which will rarely happens in my life.

"Ready?" Crimson asks us after putting her hair in a ponytail. Even with the simple clothing, she doesn't look like a servant at all.

"Ready when you are." I reply and Benetha nods to agree with me.

"Then let's get this over with." She pushes the door open and we once again walk into the darkness of the moonlight.

***

"Well that was easy." The trip passed the server's quarter ended up quickly without a single complication. Aside from someone giving me a tray of drinks to serve, which we finished ourselves, everyone is too busy walking in and out of the room to notice our weird appearances. Crimson said it is because the ball is already starting, and they already lifted up the curtain revealing the men on the other side. I am so glad that I wasn't there when it happened.

"Aren't there someone checking if everyone is there or not? Keeping track of everybody." Benetha asks curiously, while we are walking again in another set of empty hallway.

"I doubt it. I think not everyone attended too. It is because of the tradition that everyone still participates in this. And not everyone believes in traditions."

"Like you." I blurt out without thinking. She stops walking and turns to me. I ready myself for an angry remark, but instead she just shrugs. "Yeah, you can say that. Besides there are hundreds of girls that are here tonight. No one is going to notice that we're gone." I want to argue with her that the Luna of Hope did, but I think it is best if we just concentrate on our mission at the moment.

"We're here." We stop at a dead end,  and I look at Crimson weirdly.

"It's a wall." Benetha deadpan, seemingly irritated.

Crimson ignores us and feel the hard concrete for something.

"Okay, stop this now and show us the way... What!" Benetha and I both jump back as the wall in front of us just earlier slides out to reveal a path.

"Ever heard of secret passages." Crimson regards us arrogantly, and continued moving.

"Are you sure about this? What if she kidnapped us?" Benetha turns to me worriedly.

I sigh, "Come on." Anywhere but the latter is fine.

The echoes of the machines surround us, giving proof that the generators are really somewhere around here. That is if I can see a single thing. Obviously it is dark, and Crimson instructed us to stay close to the wall or trip ourselves over which she said that she will passionately laugh about.

"Almost there." Crimson says ahead of us.

"About time." Benetha answers back behind me.

I focus on my feet making sure that I am taking one step at a time. Though it appears to be a bad idea because when Crimson stops walking I accidentally bump into her.

"Could you at least tell me if you are stopping. I cannot see a single thing around here."

"Shhh." I feel Crimson tenses. And without a warning she pushes us back, making Benetha and I to stumble against each other and fall to the ground. A loud bang erupts over the sound of the machines.

"You idiots. We are screwed!" Crimson shouts at us frustratedly.

"Thanks for shoving us so suddenly. " I bite back and quickly stand up to slap her but I freeze on my spot.

Footsteps are moving towards us. "What do we have here?" An amused voice cuts the silence that we are in. The ringing around us is suddenly far away, and I hear Benetha scrambles to her feet to go behind me. The voice is the deepest one that I have ever heard in my life and I can tell that it is not from a woman, except if this woman has some serious throat problem.

"You are not supposed to be here. This is a secret passage." Crimson speaks for us, her voice shuddering. We still cannot see anything which I think is better for our situation.

"Females, huh." I feel him advanced towards us.

I stand my ground. "If you come any closer I will punch you," I growl. My wolf is coming to the surface with us feeling threatened. Instead of being scared though, he chuckles but stops just in front of me. With the little light that my eyes can mustered, I can tell that he is taller than all of us and is well built. A typical manly characteristics that I have only heard about. He bends down to level his eyes on mine, they're blue. I swing my arm to his face.

"Be careful with that strength of yours, they can be deadly with the wrong person." He catches my arm and lock it with his own. He is stronger than I thought. I feel Crimson and Benetha move forward.

"Three versus one. This is not a fair fight." He whines, which is the most stupidest thing that he can do right now.

"Let her go." Crimson snarls at him, "Or you'll be in big trouble."

"Oh dear. You are all cute."

"Why you litt--"

"Travis." All of our attention turn to the new figure who emerges from the other side of us, where we are supposed to be headed earlier. Another one. But he seems to be taller and broader than the guy who is still holding me, whose name is now known.

"Someone joined the party too early." Travis says to the new intruder and finally let me go. He moves to his side.

"Why are you all in here? This is a restricted area that only Liberty pack members should know." Crimson angrily protests, going back to her question earlier. This is clearly not part of the plan.

"I am told that no one should be down here either at this time. I will throw that question right back at you." Travis answers back. He seems to never take anything seriously, a jerk.

"They made our work much easier though. Bring them all outside." The unknown guy regards to Travis, and I think that is our cue to start running. And we did. I am in front of both of them right now.

"You said that you planned this well!" Benetha screams to Crimson between her breaths. Big footsteps are following after us.

"Yes, I did. This is clearly not part of the plan. We are supposed to be the only people down here right now to cut the electricity off this damn place."

"You could have done better." I shout myself. The Travis guy is catching up, so I run faster. Careful of not tripping myself. I still cannot see a dang thing.

"The entrance is here. Touch the wall Adilah!"

"Where?" I stretch my hands out in front of me to find something that I can hold onto. Instead of a stone of a wall though, a hard chest is what I touched. I don't have time to react for the person wraps his big arms around me. I try to struggle.

"Hold that one up, will you." Travis says to the newcomer while holding Benetha captive. Crimson is also struggling to get away from the other one. What is this mess that we are in to?

"The lights are going out soon. The rest should do the job, we need to go. It's only a matter of time."

"Relax Xavier. You are too tense." Travis pats the guy next to him who I finally know is Xavier while still keeping Benetha under control. I have no idea what they are talking about.

"Let me go!" I focus on the one who is holding me captive instead. "Seriously or I'll --" I didn't get to finish my sentence when the rumbling around us suddenly died down. The generators have been cut off, just like we're planning to. I try to look at Crimson to see her expression. Even in the dark, I can still see the fear in her eyes. "You are going to kidnap everyone tonight." She whispers, but it is still audible over the silence, and it is not a question either. So this is what Crimson is worried about. At least she doesn't need to investigate further to know it.

"Kidnap is a harsh word for it. Let just say we are doing all of us a favor." Travis says once more as muffled screams erupted from outside.

"Enough, we need to go. It is better if we put them to sleep." The person who is with me speak for the first time. I stare at his face intently to study him. His green eyes are what I only see as he swiftly move his hand around my neck. I don't have enough time to react as dark spots appeared in my line of vision. I even heard Benetha and Crimson last scream of protest and feel the strange tingling on my neck before darkness fully consumed me.

***

 

The longest chapter so far! Time to celebrate :)