Chapter 12

Adilah

Adilah~

 

After returning the lady that I helped back to her home, whose name I forgot to ask, Lander who saved us awhile ago leads me to a series of twists and turns that finally forced me to give up in creating a mind map for myself. He told me that it would take us 35 minutes to get to the place that he was talking about if we are walking. I said I didn't care. That was the only conversation that we had so far. I refrain from asking him questions, needing to be as inconspicuous as possible, which is not easy considering that my mind is full of them. How did he even know that I don't have a place to stay? Must be my current dirty appearance. I left the clothes that me and Travis had bought this morning in Payton's shop.

 

Already feeling my aching feet, I sigh in relief when he finally stops. To all of my daydreaming I am not even aware that we are not in town anymore. A couple of houses can still be seen, but they are farther away in the distance.

 

"We're here." I step aside to see what's he's referring to. He was blocking my view as I insisted of staying behind him the whole time. My eyes widen in shock. This is a mansion! And even if I can't clearly see how wide it is inside because of the walls the locks the place, I can tell that whoever owns this is not a normal person.

 

"I don't see anyone around. Are you sure we are in the right place?" I ask him warily. He promised that there are other girls here.

 

"They're inside." He walks to the gate which surprisingly is not locked. So much for security.

 

I follow him inside, but make a mental note to remember the exit just in case this turns out to be another problem.  I'm risking everything in this. Just as I imagined, the estate is indeed wider once you're in. In fact, I can't even see the end of the property.  Tall tress are everywhere,  but it's obvious that they are being kept well because of how they are perfectly shaped. A concrete path leads us to the entrance where a giant wooden door stands. It has a medieval feel to it. I start to worry when I still don't see anyone in sight.

 

"Who's the owner?" I can't contain my curiosity anymore.

 

"Someone I know." That's all he replied and he opens the door for me to go inside. The place reminds me of the Grand Hall, which doesn't really give me a reassurance. Chandeliers in the ceiling, glorious curtains on the window, and a red carpet on the floor. Typical mansion characteristics. As we enter the first hallway I relax, I finally see the first set of girls that he's talking about. They are in a servants uniform though, and they barely give us a glance as they continue their cleaning. He is not planning to hire me as a maid, is he?

 

He stops in front of a door at the end of the hall that looks like the rest, and turns to me. "I think you should clean up first. I'll ask someone to bring you some clothes." I wince as I follow his gaze down at me. I am filthy. "I just need to talk to someone," he continues.

 

"The owner?" I question innocently.

 

"Yeah." He opens the door for me again.

 

"I swear if you are planning something evil, I'll really kill you."

 

"I'll keep that in mind." He gives me an amused smile before leaving.

 

I cautiously enter the room after checking that nothing is inside. For now, I have only one thing in my mind: I need to clean up, so I go straight to the shower.

 

***

 

The last thing I remembered was me filling the tub with warm water before relaxing myself on it. I must have fallen asleep, because the water is now cold and my skin is creasing. I stand up abruptly,  grabbing the towel that's around glad that I have locked the door. I wonder if Lander have checked up on me. I tentatively open the door, and find no one outside. A white nightgown is left for me on the bed and cold I immediately change into it. The silk is awfully familiar, and I am glad that it fits me perfectly with its long sleeves providing enough warmth. I try to find a brush to untangled my mess of a hair next. After battling in out for the next five minutes,  I finally look presentable.

 

As I stare myself on the mirror, I notice that my pale face is a little darker than usual from all the sun that it got for the first time. I suddenly miss the cold winter. Waiting for Lander to come, I figure out that the sun is already setting on the sole window of this place. I can't help but to think what Travis is doing now. Are they already looking for me? What if Payton and Matt got into trouble because of me? Does Cole already know? I am suddenly worried of all the consequences of my escapades.

 

Bored of waiting, I make myself comfortable on the bed and play with my still wet hair. I have been thinking of going outside, but I know not to act carelessly. My patience earns me a knock afterwards.

 

"Come in." I say without thinking much. Instead of the blue-eyed male though, a brunette who is at the same age as me entered casually.

 

"He's inviting you to dinner." She motions for me to stand up. She doesn't look like a servant with her jeans and black leather jacker. I don't miss the gun on her wait either. A woman bodyguard? In this place?

 

"Umm... I'm in my nightgown." Pointing at myself. I am hungry, but I can't walk around on this with other people watching especially if most of them are men.

 

"That will do." She shrugs boredly. She taps her foot to show her impatience. She's serious, so I comply and move to her.

 

"May I ask who is the he?" I question just to dissolve the tension between us. I know who she's talking about.

 

"Alexander."

 

"You mean Lander?" She eyes me dangerously and ignore me.  What's with her?

 

We walk in silence, a few people greeting her on the way. Even some of the men are showing her utmost respect. Like she's someone important. That got me more confused but I don't think she'll talk to me if I ask her. I make a side note to ask Lander later, I am actually a bit hungry anyways. Instead of leading me to a dining area, she brings me inside one of the rooms.

 

"I thought we are going to eat dinner?" I ask her although not expecting an answer.

 

"There you are. All nice and clean." She doesn't have the time to anyways for Lander appears to open the door and usher me gently inside. "Thanks Shae." He says to the girl who only nods back and closed the door. I focus at it for a moment before taking in Lander's appearance.  Contrast to his appearance earlier, he is now on a black jogging pants and a disturbingly tight,white shirt that only showcase his muscled body. I step back away from him a little. Seeing my reaction to him, he smirks.

 

"I thought we are going to eat?" I glare at him, refusing to be led by his mind games.

 

"We are." He motions on a small table at the center of the room near a leather couch that has the unfamiliar palates on top of it. By the looks of it, this room is an office but a more casual one than the one in Cole's. Why am I thinking of him right now?

 

"You know that I came here to get some answers. " And to find the others. I finally confront him, tired of my little lie. He knows, that's why he's playing with me.

 

"Of course. But shouldn't we eat first? What kind of a host I am if I didn't offer you that first?" 

 

"Host?" I ask confused. Then swallows nervously, "You own this place?"

 

"Oh, darling.  I don't just own this place. I own this entire pack." Then it hits me. What the girl had called him earlier.  How can I be so stupid?

 

"Alpha Alexander."

 

"The one and only."
 

***

 

I know the story is a little slow, but I'm trying to make it better. For now enjoy this!