Epilogue

Adilah

 

2 years later...

 

Adilah~

 

Fixing my hair out of my face, I kick the dirt on the ground while I am waiting for him to arrive. The dress that my friend had chosen for me to wear is swaying with the Equality pack's own version of the summer air, and as it grazes my thighs I can't help but tug it down uncomfortably. I shouldn't have told her about today.
 

It's been two years since the visitation rights have been implemented. Only the North and the South didn't agree to it, while the rest of the packs welcomed the change. The first year was especially hard. The tension was thick when the first set of volunteers proceeded to travel, most of them were new mothers who had to abandon their child or husband behind after giving birth.  Protests happened and some got hurt, but in the end, the happy faces of the families were what really mattered. With time people started to accept it slowly until it wasn't such a big deal anymore. It was the new norm, and maybe someday the mixing of two societies is not far-fetched.
 

I perk up from my spot when I hear the shuffling in the line of trees on my right. A huge black wolf emerges behind the thick bushes, and I quickly run to it. It nuzzles its nose on my neck and inhaled my scent, its green eyes spark with excitement. 
 

"I thought you had a car with you?" It grumbles slowly as it starts to shift. I give him time to change with the clothes tied to his leg.

 

 

After finishing, Cole whisks me off my feet and capture my lips in hunger, making me feel how much he misses me in the time that we were away from each other. "It's faster running to you." I laugh when I picture him with Travis on the car, jumping out in his wolf form and leaving his poor friend alone to drive here.

 

I pull him to the house. "The family wants to see you." 
 

 

"Marissa and Benetha?" 
 

 

I wink at him. "It's a surprise."

 

***

"Congratulations! "As soon as I open the door, the confetti surrounds us, the doing of my friend.

 

"This is so lame." Crimson rumbles as she shakes off the ones that got on her hair while glaring at Benetha whose now helping Rae to pop hers. The rest join in laughter. I wave to Payton and Matt with their newborn son in the corner. I invited them last week to visit the pack since Payton is from here. Cole nods in respect to my mother, Luna Lila, and Faith who are sitting beside the table where dozens of food present itself. Benetha insisted on doing this yesterday even though I told her she didn't have to, but the confused expression on my mate's face makes me realize that maybe it isn't such a bad idea. 
 

"So what's the occasion that this friend of yours bothered us all to be here?" Crimson points at Benetha who just swat her hand away. They're always arguing these days. My friend smiles smugly in response, proud that she knows something that the others don't. "Huh, she didn't tell you?"

 

I usher Cole to sit on the couch near us.

 

"Tell me what?" The two are still at it.

 

"Adilah agreed to be mar--"

 

"Benetha..." I cut her off before she can continue and glances at Rae who is innocently listening to the conversation.

 

"Mar?" Crimson gasps when she got what it is.

 

Cole clears his throat when everyone stares at him, embarrassed of getting the attention in the room. I squeeze his hand in support as I am a little guilty of it, but I can't help to crack a smile.  I should have known not to ever trust Benetha with a secret. I didn't have to cut the awkwardness myself though for Travis suddenly barge in the scene.

 

"The Alpha is here right? I didn't lose him?" He surveys the room and eventually lands his gaze on a fuming Cole. After a long minute of staring at everyone, he quietly goes to the other side as far away from us while mumbling his apology. I can't hold my laughter anymore and the rest follow.

 

"My family kinda grew bigger this year," I whisper to my mate when everyone is busy chatting again with each other.

 

"It's only going to get bigger tonight. " I blush as I hit him on the shoulder. He only laughs and gives me a peck on the cheek.

 

Today is the day that I agree for him to mark me. I figure that we had suffered long enough and I'm ready for a life with him. It's hard to believe now that I was so disgusted with the idea of my mate back then. I thought that I am already fine where I am, and it couldn't be any better. But I was wrong.
 

 

I learn that you can belong anywhere that you want to. And with Cole's arms around me,  I know exactly where that place is now. The way that I was raised doesn't matter, in the end, I am the one who makes my own choices.  I want the others to feel this too, and so we are going to continue forward. Our generation is ours to change.

 

*End*