004

Only Faults
Please log in to read the full chapter

Have you ever been to a wedding before? There’s white everywhere. There are also a large number of people – a large number of people celebrating the union of two people. Celebrating the love that two people share for each other and want the rest of the world to know. And every guest can feel the love and joy present.

 

Have you ever been to a divorce before? The chamber at family court is not elegantly decorated as the reception for a wedding. There’s barely a single person in the room either – Minhyun, the official/judge and myself. But that’s not to say that it isn’t a celebration though. Instead of the union of two to become one, it is the separation of one to become two again. There’s joy surrounding the room as well though, but more than anything, there is relief.

 

‘Now I just need the both of you to sign under your names,’

The official court worker instructed the both of us. I wonder how many divorces he witnesses on a daily basis; does it take a toll on his marriage?

 

‘Thank you,’ the court official said as he collected the now signed applications for divorce. ‘As mentioned before, there will be a one month period where your application will be processed. In that time you will still legally married though. After that period, you will receive a divorce report. You need to submit this report to your local town hall. If you don’t submit it into the local town hall, your divorce will not be legal. This will be further discussed when your report is ready to be collected.’

 

And just like that, the chambers became empty again. The official start of the divorce. No longer would I be tied to Minhyun, and he would no longer be bound. Freedom and a fresh start.

 

‘It’s really coming to an end, huh.’ Minhyun said as we walked out of the judge’s chamber.

 

‘I guess it really is,’ I answered.

Honestly, I don’t know how I’m supposed to feel about this. Here is Minhyun. He is the boy I fell in love with, the man who promised me the world and the person who caused me pain. The man who made me feel like I was a princess but also the person who made me feel like I wasn’t good enough. The man I love but hate at the same time.

Am I supposed to be sad to let go or finally be relieved that I am able to let go of him legally? People won’t look at me with pity as the wife whose husband cheated on her. Maybe they’ll start to look down on me for divorcing but isn’t that better than being pitied?

 

‘If it counts for anything Kyung Mi, I’m really sorry,’ Minhyun said before we parted out ways to our own cars. Sometimes sorry isn’t good enough though.

 

-----------

Penthouse apartment with the skyline view of Seoul city and the sounds of clubs near by ringing to my ears – that is t

Please log in to read the full chapter