014

Only Faults
Please log in to read the full chapter

Wallpaper designs are stuck onto walls in a distinct pattern – a specific order that shows a repeating order. Much like my own calendar attached to my fridge with colourful magnets.

 

‘Noona, you’re an extremely busy person,’ Daehwi said, flipping through my calendar.

 

‘I guess, there’s always an appointment I need to attend,’ I sighed, scribbling down an appointment with my doctor for next week.

 

‘But you are missing the most important date of the entire year,’ He huffed.

 

‘I already put my due date on it,’ I told him, flipping to the correct page and pointing it out for him.

 

‘Not that, that’s not the most important thing. I’ll give you a hint, it involves the most important person in the room,’ he laughed with a boyish grin.

 

‘Well that must be me, and I’ve already put in my birthday,’ I , knowing that he was describing his own birthday instead.

 

‘Noona! I meant my birthday!’ He pouted, as I laughed at him. Although years have passed and we are no longer young teenagers, he will always be my baby brother. He will always be that cute little bunny who cheers me up. My younger brother.

 

‘Of course I remember your birthday, you goof!,’ I laughed, and gently judged him. ‘I bought balloon stickers to stick on your day.’ I pulled out a sheet of stickers from a draw in the kitchen.

 

‘Well good because we’re having a birthday dinner,’ he announced. ‘But, there’s an issue.’ He paused.

 

‘What issue? I’ll make sure I stay away from all types of alcohol, so you don’t have to worry.’ I laughed to only hear the sound of my own laughter.

 

‘No, not that.’ He shook his head. ‘Mum, and Dad and Grandmother will be there,’

He pulled a face.

 

‘As long as they don’t bombard me, we will be all right,’ I smiled at him. I haven’t spoken to my parents since the second time I moved out of the family house. I’m pretty sure they don’t want to talk to me and I’m almost 100% certain that my grandmother doesn’t want anything to do with me anymore. I’m actually surprised that she hasn’t come to visit me in her stay, and that her stay is this long.

 

‘I’ll promise to keep them away from you,’ he saluted. ‘I’ll come here and we can leave together.’ He announced.

 

‘Sure, so what’s my dress code? It may be the last time for me to wear heels,’ I laughed.

 

‘Anything you like. I’ll probably be in sweatpants anyways. I really didn’t want this,’ He sighed.

 

‘Mum and Dad forced you, huh?’

 

‘Yeah, they made the booking for the restaurant before even consulting me about it. ‘

 

‘Well at least they remember your birthday?’

 

‘I guess.’

 

------------

 

‘So how are you feeling?’ Mina asked as we walked through her gallery to her office. ‘Sorry about the mess in here, I’ve just been extremely busy. I can’t even bring buyers into here,’ She apologized and scurried to move stacks of magazines off the seat for me.

 

‘Constantly tired. The morning sickness is unbearable and my cravings are honestly stupid,’ I complained as I sunk into the chair.

 

‘Can’t be that ridiculous,’ she remarked.

 

‘I was eating pickles with peanut butter. I can’t stand peanut butter. I literally walked to buy them,’ I pulled a serious face. Cravings and morning sickness both are hitting me hard.

 

‘It’s probably not bad of a combination.’ Mina then began rummaging through her draw, to pull out a photo. ‘Do you remember this day?’ She asked, handing me the picture.

 

Standing in the middle of the picture were Mina, Sejeong and Myself laughing. It was after the first year of university and we thought we deserved a break. We couldn’t afford to go overseas like some of our classmates did, so we took a train down to Busan. We got extremely lost that day – we ended up catching the wrong trains and walking in the wrong directions.

 

I remember calling Minhyun who was in Seoul that I would be home a day late because we missed the last train to Seoul. It was extremely hilariou

Please log in to read the full chapter