002

Only Faults
Please log in to read the full chapter

One thing that I will admit right now is that Minhyun has always been the more successful one out of the two of us. In most modern couples, especially in the dating phase, relationships operate 50/50; that is you pay for 50% of what we do and eat and I’ll pay for the other half. For us though, we couldn’t really do that, especially in the first couple of years together. And that was solely because of me.

 

I studied hard at university, I worked hard in classes but getting a full time is hard though. I’m a qualified dietitian, specifically dietitian for children and babies. But finding a full time job is a little harder than I thought - most jobs are found in the hospital or with social workers. But even then, jobs there are extremely limited.

 

Not getting your dream job isn’t an excuse for not working though, and I ended up working at cafes and convenience stores. During the first year of marriage, money was extremely tight. Both of us were still in school to honest, and we had just moved into out first apartment together. Neither of us really knew what living away from home would be like and it was an experience like no other.

 

Living with Minhyun in our own apartment though really made me appreciate what all my parents’ did for me while I was living at home.

 

‘What do you mean you’re not getting the paper signed yet?’

My mother almost screamed and stopped cutting her carrots; almost dropping her knife onto her fingers.

 

‘I don’t want to go through a divorce lawyer, don’t want to go though judicial divorce. But I need him to come with me to family court, but I haven’t been able to talk to him properly.’

I explained to my mother who still didn’t look happy with my response.

 

My parents were not very happy with me when they had learnt that I had gotten engaged, they were also not pleased with me when I got married at a young age. If you ask my parents, Minhyun would not be their ideal candidate for who I’d marry. Minhyun is charming and according to my parents, being charming is dangerous - something I wish I had listened to. Charming meant not only charming you, but charming potentially other women as well. Other women means temptations and not everyone can handle temptations - something I had learnt.

 

‘Just take him to court, let’s get it done and over with. You remember Aunty Yu? Her son is your age and is a doctor,’

 

‘Going to court doesn’t mean the end of it - there’s a process that occurs with it mum. It’s not instant and I am definitely not

Please log in to read the full chapter