018

Only Faults
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chapter Eighteen:

 

To say that the atmosphere when Soomin arrived was tense is an understatement. It felt awkward and suffocating. The soft clangs of teacups making contact with the coffee table could be heard, but voices not. Body language can speak more than words and it was screaming out loud.

 

Ms Hwang sat with her legs crossed and sitting almost in a slightly twisted motion so that her should was facing the centre. Her body language reading that this is not a situation she wanted to be in – almost like she was already leaving the conversation and checking out.

 

Mr Hwang, as usual, was not really showing much body language.

Minhyun looked anxious, probably hoping that his parents would like Soomin. Although, I have a feeling that it isn’t going so well.

 

Soomin, well for the first time I’ve ever seen, doesn’t seem confident. After getting everything she could possibly want in life, it doesn’t appear that she is getting the approval she wanted from Minhyun’s parents. She looks nervous and anxious, unable to make eye contact with Ms Hwang.

 

‘Look at the time,’ I said awkwardly breaking the tension and looking down at my watch, ‘There’s an art gallery that I want to see. I better head to it before it closes.’ Getting up, I bowed to Mr and Ms Hwang. ‘Minhyun, text me when we are leaving.’

 

‘You’re leaving today?’ Ms Hwang asked, ‘But you guys only got here today. I’ve got to teach you a few things about raising a Hwang Baby. Plus, it’s a long drive home.’

 

‘She’s right,’ Mr Hwang nodded in agreement after his wife slightly elbowed him in the ribs, ‘Best to head out after a good night’s rest.’

 

‘But mother, Soomin already has her plane ticket booked for tonight,’ Minhyun explained and Soomin could only offer an awkward nod.

 

‘Well she can leave then. I just need to teach Kyung Mi some tips and tricks,’ Ms Hwang dismissed Minhyun’s reasoning for leaving in the night.

 

‘Come back in time for dinner okay?’ Ms Hwang instructed as I left the family house to wonder to nowhere in particular.

 

My knowledge of Busan streets isn’t very good. I’ve been here a few times but never on my own, and never without a plan. I’m not even sure where this art gallery I mentioned even is, I saw a sign for it as we drove into town. I just didn’t want to stay there anymore. It was extremely awkward, Ms Hwang didn’t see very happy and I guess it just isn’t my place anymore. It’s not my family anymore; it’s not my partner anymore.

 

 

--------

 

Have you travelled much? Not going overseas, but within the country you live in? So much is the same but so much is so different as well. The base language is the same and yet we have different accents. The cars on the roads are the same brands but the time of peak hour differs greatly. The exterior of buildings may look the same but inside they harbour different jewels.

 

The streets weren’t exactly full but there was still a sense of hustle and bustle. But it wasn’t like it is in Seoul. In Seoul people walk fast with a location in mind and no smile on their faces, but here in Busan, people walk with a welcoming smile on their face. Maybe it’s the sea breeze air that brings the smiles.

 

Without planning to, I found myself wondering onto a boardwalk facing the water. There’s something mesmerising about the blue colour, like I could stare at it all day and not even realise that time has passed.

 

If you have any worries, watching the waves crash into the shores can be a cheap therapy session. The future, the past – all is settled with the water.

 

‘Hey, are you okay?’

 

A voice called out to me, snapping me back to reality. Walking towards me is a guy with a bright smile plastered to his face and roughly styled black hair.

 

‘Yah! Lee Jihoon!’ I shouted, once I realised that his stranger isn’t a stranger after all. A familiar face, an old friend. Someone recognisable.

 

‘Lee Kyung Mi, what are you doing here?’ He asked with a smile and pulled me into a hug.

 

‘Just visiting people.’ Not sure if my voice was audible as I was being smothered into the hug.

 

‘Visiting people and you don’t come to find your old friend here? I’m a little hurt,’ he faked sniffled as he let me go.

 

‘Well I wasn’t planning on staying long. We were only supposed to be here for the day and leave by night, but Minhyun’s parents demanded us to stay the night,’ I explained as we both watched the water together. In the distance, the movements of fishing boats can be seen. They look so small from here, but if you’ve ever been on one they are giant.

 

‘Minhyun is here too? That rascal didn’t even tell me,’ he pouted slightly.

 

Jihoon is an old friend, someone Minhyun actually grew up with. We actually all studied together in school back in Seoul. Jihoon, or also know by his nickname Woozi, moved back to Busan a couple years ago to take care of the family business when his mother fell sick.

 

‘Yeah, he’s here too. He’s with his girlfriend,’ I said, possibly pulling a face. I didn’t really mean to pull a face but it might just be reflex when mentioning Soomin.

 

‘New girlfriend?’ he raised his brow. ‘He told me about the divorce, really sorry about that by the way.’ He quickly added.

 

‘Ah yes, new girlfriend. I’m fine, no need to worry about me. Everything is fine.’

 

‘I really hope so. You know you can tell me anything, right?’ He asked.

 

‘I know, but some things don’t need to be said aloud,’ I smiled to him.

 

‘You know a storm is forecasted, we should probably get inside before it reaches,’ he pointed up to the large grey clouds sitting right above us.

 

‘Hey, wanna visit that who didn’t even tell you that he’s in town,’ I laugh.

 

‘Of course I do. But will you be okay if we go?’ He looked at me with a questioning look.

 

‘I sat in the car with him this morning all the way here. I’m honestly fine with everything, trust me,’ I said and smiled a smile that’s definitely an overreaction and quite possibly fake.

 

The quick car ride to the Hwang household was filled pleasant chats about our current lives. When you haven’t seen someone in a while, you realise how much has changed in your life. All the small lit

Please log in to read the full chapter