025

Only Faults
Please log in to read the full chapter

Pregnancy changes you – not just that there is literally another being growing inside you, but it changes how you perceive things as well. It teaches you to appreciate certain aspects in life but also to despise them as well. 

 

‘Do you really need to do that?’ Minki asked with a brow raised as he nodded towards me. 

 

‘Yes, I do. You never know how clean this stuff is,’ I answered him as I continued to use my napkin to ‘clean’ my utensils. I never used to worry about how clean the utensils at the restaurants were; I would just eat and not have a care. But now with the baby, I have to start thinking about what I’m introducing to my body and to him. What if I ingested a really bad bacteria and suffer from a horrid infection? Not a risk I’m willing to take. 

 

‘I feel like you should just carry your own chopsticks or just bring along those disposable ones,’ Minki suggested and shook his head slightly amused. 

 

‘That’s an impeccable idea, maybe I will start doing that.’ I answered and finally began digging into my black bean noodles. 

 

‘I swear when we first met, you told me that you absolutely hated black bean noodles,’ he recalled as he slurped up his own noodles. My cleaning of the chopsticks must have taken a while as Minki is already half way finished his bowl. 

 

‘I know but this isn’t even the weirdest thing I’ve eaten in the past week. Guess what I had last night.’

 

‘Oh god, knowing you it must have been pickle with peanut butter.’ He shuddered just thinking about it. 

 

‘Absolutely not, that just sounds disgusting. No, Pork Katsu with strawberry jam and whipped cream. I thought it was going to be amazing and that I had created the next culinary trend.’

 

‘And did you?’

 

‘Not at all – I bit into it and started crying. It was beyond gross, like a an instant regret gross.’

 

‘I can’t believe you won’t eat using these chopsticks without cleaning them for 10 minutes and you would eat that monstrosity of a meal?’

Lunch is typically a 30minute break – and usually Minki and myself would usually find ourselves in the break room at approximately 12:30PM. That generally means we get back to our desks by 1 – but today is not the same. 

 

‘Alright, I just got off the phone with Sungwoon and he is okay with us being here a little longer,’ Minki informed me as he finished his phone call. ‘This rain is crazy.’ He commented. 

 

The rain came out of no where – in fact, it’s more like a storm than just rain. Dark clouds came rolling in - far earlier than what the meteorologist has predicted and what the news stations had reported. The dark clouds were accompanied with heavy rain - possibly hail in some parts of the city. 

 

‘How will we get back to the office? I don’t particularly want to walk in the rain,’ Neither of us bought an umbrella with us. I didn’t think we would need it at this time - it was reported that the storm would hit after dinner, not at lunch. 

 

‘Me neither but we have to wait for the rain to stop being has violent as it is. Can’t let you get sick,’ Minki noted. 

 

‘How am I going to get to the airport later? How will I drive in this weather,’ I sighed as I stared outside the window. Hopefully it will stop soon - I need to get to the airport this evening to pick Daehwi up. 

 

He is returning home now. And I promised that I will pick him up at the airport with a large sign for him. 

 

‘I would volunteer but you know my car situation,’ Minki was in a small car accident last week. Nothing serious and no injuries. Just that someone slammed into the back of his car so the boot is a little messed up - but nothing that the mechanics with a little time and money can’t fix. 

 

‘Don’t worry, the rain will probably stop soon.’

 

‘Hey, on another note while we are still here. What are we going to do about those falsified reports and the selling of the firm?’ Minki asked as he poured himself some hot tea from the thermos. 

 

‘I’m not too sure about that - it feels like something well over my pay grade to even know about.’ I sighed. It really isn’t my place to know - I’m not a share holder or an equity partner with this business. I honestly don’t need to know a single thing about the earnings of it either. 

 

The only thing I should be concerned about is my clients and doing the best that I can for them. 

 

‘You’re telling me. Haven’t even been here for a year and we find this about the place,’ he slightly pouted. No, this really isn’t the best thing for a newbie at the job; Fake documents made which were made using someone else’s identity and submitted to boost the numbers of clients were supposedly had. More clients means that the company is worth more and hence can get a higher selling price. It’s crazy to think what people would do for money. 

 

Please log in to read the full chapter