012

Only Faults
Please log in to read the full chapter

‘From the both of you, I need a final confirming signature,’ the judge said in a stern voice, handing both of us a pen.

 

A life as a judge must be heart breaking though; a divorce court seeing the separation of two that used to be in love, a criminal court sees the results of crimes (some of them too heinous for me to even describe) and many other types of cases involving not the most civil people. There’s not always a happy ending with these cases. The heavy weight of sadness can be too much – not something I could do.

 

And with that, we were only had one final step to finishing this separation. And that is to head over to town hall and submit this report to them. Once submitted, the legal ties will be completely broken and cut. Severed forever.

 

‘I wish you both happiness in your new lives,’ the judge said being leaving the two of us to stare at the paper.

 

‘This is it, huh?’ He said softly.

Town hall isn’t too far from the courthouse, basically a block away. A walkable distance and therefore we decided to walk there to just get it done and over with.

 

‘It’s for the better anyways,’ I smiled in return. A sad smile.

 

They say when one chapter ends, another will begin. But sometimes what we really want is to end a chapter and the book completely. Sometimes what we really want and need is to start on a brand new book. Sometimes though, ink from the old book will somehow seep into the new one.

 

---------

It’s happened.

 

It’s done.

 

It’s officially finished.

 

‘So what happens now?’ Sejeong asked as she pops open a bottle of expensive wine that she bought over, and pours a class for herself and Mina.

 

‘Yeah, what will happen with the baby?’ Mina asked, raising her class to clink with Sejeong’s raised glass.

 

‘Well, I guess we remain as friends and raise this baby together,’ I answered them, whilst stuffing my mouth full of potato fries. Normally I wouldn’t eat much fried foods, they’re not the most healthy food group, but tonight is a special night. Sometimes you just need comfort food.

 

‘Friends? That never works out,’ Mina raised an eyebrow.

 

‘No one can just keep as friends. You know that this will never work out. Plus you have to keep in mind of that meddling piece of work,’ Sejeong sighed, pulling a face.

 

‘’Well she is doing my head in. She doesn’t care for the baby at all, like you can tell and yet she insists on being involved with everything,’ I complained to them. I’m not sure what Soomin’s intentions are or what game she is playing but I refuse to play them with her. Is it intuition to not trust her or am I finally learning from my past?

 

‘You should just leave her in the dark about everything,’ Sejeong suggested.

 

‘That’s most likely not possible, Minhyun probably tells her everything,’ I sighed. ‘There’s nothing I can really do about her anyways, she’s going to find her way into the picture somehow.’ As long as she is with Minhyun, she will somehow be in the picture frame.

 

‘Just make sure you sleep with an eye open,’ Mina half joked, half warned.

 

‘Well it’s not like she’ll be entering my apartment anytime soon. I’m not opening the door for her,’ I said. ‘Enough about me now. Tell me what’s going on in your lives, I feel like I haven’t seen you guys in ages.’

 

‘Me? Well absolutely nothing has changed. Except you know the liquor store on the corner of my block, well they have a new employee,’ Mina laughed.

 

Mina owns an art gallery where she sells and buys arts in various medias. You could say that she has an eye for detail. She also has a great taste for wine, as she claims. Holding exhibits means serving wine and champagne and the high bidders and buyers know what good quality wine in.

 

‘Well I’m mostly in the country this coming month. You’ll see me heaps,’ Se Jeong laughed.

Se Jeong is a flight attendant and she’s usually flying in and out of the country. She always says how tiring it is but loves being in the air though.

 

‘That’s great, more nights for this,’ Mina says refilling their glasses.

Please log in to read the full chapter