nine

My Best Friend’s Sweet 16
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


“Order whatever you want.” Agust told Ana.

She sighed. “Um… Okay, just a regular hamburger with animal fries and a small drink.” The lady behind the counter put the cup on the counter.

“That’s it?” Agust said. “Okay, whatever you say.” He turned to the lady at the register. “I’ll have a double-double with animal fries, extra cheese please, and a chocolate milkshake.”

“Alright, you got it. Anything else?”

“You guys really do have milkshakes?” Ana asked.

The lady nodded. “Yup! Strawberry, vanilla, and chocolate.”

“Do you want one?” He asked her.

She shook her head. “No, it’s okay.”

“Okay, that’ll be twenty-one eighty.” She told Agust and he fished out his wallet from his back pocket.

“Can I at least pay for half?” She asked.

“Nope.” Agust handed the lady the money and waited for his change.

Ana was this close to strangling him.

After he got his change, Ana went to the fountain drinks and put Sprite into her cup. She walked back to their table and sat down in front of Agust.

“Agust… You really didn’t have to do that.”

“Yes I did. Accept it. There’s nothing else you can do.”

Ana groaned. “I’m definitely getting you back for this.”

“No, you can’t. I won’t let you.”

Ana narrowed her eyes. “Agust, I have the strongest urge to just strangle you right now.”

“But why? I’m so lovable.”

That is a fact. “No, you’re not. And I got like a hundred pounds on you easy. Don’t play.”

Agust held his hands up in defense. “Okay first, you’re not fat. And second, stop trying to scare me. Oh look, our food’s ready. I’ll be right back.”

When Agust left, Ana grabbed her phone from her pocket and texted Jocelyn.

 

To Da Best Frand:

send help.

 

From Da Best Frand:

what

qué pasó

 

To Da Best Frand:

ayudame

 

To Da Best Frand:

qué te pasa pues


 

“I’m back with the food.” Agust says and puts down the tray in front of them. “Funniest thing just happened though. The lady that took our order asked if we were a couple.”

Ana looked at him weirdly. “Why?”

He shrugged. “I don’t know. I just told her we’re friends.”

Right, just friends.

“Okay, so this one’s yours--” He handed her her meal. “--and these are mine.” He grabbed his meal.

“Thanks.” Ana said and drank from her drink before taking a bite out of her hamburger. She groaned in satisfaction. “So good.”

“Right?” Yoongi said, agreeing. After he swallowed his bite and drank from his milkshake he decided to start a better conversation. “So, Ana, how long have you been dancing?”

Ana swallowed. “I barely started dancing seriously this year, but I’ve been dancing since eighth grade.”

“Oh, that’s cool. So like, three years?”

She nodded. “How long have you been writing music?”

“I think I started around sixth grade, but then I kinda stopped for a while. So, I started again freshman year.”

“Wow, you stopped for three years?” She asked and took a bite out of her animal fries.

He nodded. “Yeah, some went down during that time, so… I kinda had to stop.”

“Oh.”

“But it’s all good now, so don’t worry.” He gave her a reassuring smile and drank his milkshake.

“Is it personal?”

“No, not really. It wasn’t a big deal.”

“Really?” Ana asked. “Can I know?”

He nodded. “It was around late in the year that it happened, but my parents started getting into a lot of arguments. Mostly about money.” He began. “That year I asked if I could take piano lessons, my mom was fine with it, but I didn’t know that my dad didn’t want to spend that kind of money.”

Ana nodded.

“So, a few days later they started arguing about the house payments. Right after that day, they just continued arguing about everything. The littlest things too. There were times when my dad didn’t want to eat my mom’s bibimbap for dinner, so he lashed out on her a bunch of times.” He grabbed a fry and ate it. “Then one day, he threw one of the rice bowls at her head while we were at the table, eating. He started getting really abusive right after that and my mom dealt with it for about a year and a half. She told me not to tell anyone, ever. I was never hurt, thank god, but there were times when I wished I should’ve done something for her.”

“You were just a kid, Agust. You could’ve gotten hurt really bad.”

“I know, but I was old enough. I could’ve done something, but anyways, it’s fine now. We packed our bags one day and left a few hours before my dad got home. We lived with my grandma for two years and then my mom started dating Liam’s dad and then a year later they got married.”

“Wow… I didn’t know this about you.”

“Not a lot of people do. I only tell close friends.” He smiled and then took another bite out of his burger. “Tell me about your mom.” He said.

Ana looked up at him from sipping her drink. “Oh, okay. Um… Well, what do you wanna know?”

He shrugged. “What was she like?”

“She was so nice.” Ana started. “She was so pretty and my dad, oh my god, my dad was so in love with her. When she died, he always spoke about what they did before I was born. I didn’t remember much about her, I just know that she sang really pretty lullabies when I couldn’t sleep.” She smiled. “My dad said that she was never rude to anyone, she would always do whatever she could to help someone that needed help.”

Agust smiled too.

“Oh! My dad told me a story about one of their dates. So they were going to the movies, nothing special, but snacks are like really costy and so are the tickets. So my mom brought like forty dollars because apparently she was paying, and then she saw a homeless person sitting on the curb and then gave him all of her money.”

Agust chuckled. “What did your dad do?”

“My dad was ing pissed. He didn’t have any cash on him and then he was forced to pay for everything. He said that my mom felt really bad after that and avoided him for like, two weeks.”

“Your mom sounds like a really great person.”

Ana nodded. “Yup. My parents had me before they got married because they said something about “not being able to wait” so…”

Agust burst out laughing. “Whaaat?”

Ana laughed too and nodded. “I didn’t know what it meant, but everything made sense when I understood what baby making was.”

“Oh my god, that’s amazing.” He wiped a tear away. “You want some of my milkshake? I’m almost done with it.”

“Oh, no thanks.”

“Come on, you have to try it. I won’t let you leave until you do.” He handed it to her.

“Fine.” She was about to take a sip, but then stopped herself. “Wait, from the same straw?”

“Unless you’re some kind of germaphobe, then yeah.”

Ana brought it closer to her lips then took a sip from it. “Wow, pretty good.”

“What do you mean ‘pretty good’?” He grabbed it from her. “It’s the best milkshake you’ll ever have!”

“Okay, okay. It was very good.” She said. “I’m finished, are you?”

He nodded. “Yup. Let’s go.”

They picked up their trays and cleaned whatever mess they had, then walked to Yoongi’s car.

He checked the time on his phone. “We still have some time before you have to go home. You wanna do something else?”

“Um…” It probably won’t hurt… “What do you have in mind?”

 

 

“The park?” Ana asked.

Agust nodded. “Yup! Come on, let’s go.”

If Jocelyn was here she’d be screaming because this happened to be one of Ana’s daydreams where Agust would take her to the park and then kiss her afterwards.

But too bad this is reality.

Ana stepped out of the car right after he did and then followed him to the playground.

“Look, we have the whole place to ourselves.” Agust told her.

“What

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter