Chapter 8

The Secret Door

     Aren’t you ready yet?” Momo was seemingly frustrated shouted from the living room. She was waiting for Mina. Momo just came from the office and drove straight to their house to pick Mina up but unfortunately, Mina was not ready. The clock almost strucked to 6 and Momo can’t take it anymore. She walked to Mina’s door.

 

“Yah! Myoui Mina! Why—“ Momo was cut by the door open in front of her. She was also stunt by the view made by Mina.

 

Mina was secretly looking gorgeous. You can only notice her if you stand this close to her. The glittery black dress suits her the most, and also, the sweet scene coming from Mina’s perfume caught Momo’s nose.

 

Jasmine.

 

“L-Let’s go.” Momo seems to forget that she was about to scold Mina for causing them to late. Scratching the back of her head, Momo walked ahead of Mina while the latter following her from behind.

 

“Why aren’t you change your clothes?” Mina asked as they entered Momo’s love—her precious black Lamborghini. Momo started the engine.

 

“Nah, I look gorgeous whatever I wear.” Momo replied which made Mina scoffed. Momo looked over at Mina and frowned. “Don’t you know how to wear your seatbelt?”

 

Before Mina could react, Momo already leaned forward, seeming dangerously close for Mina. She was caught off guard. She could even smell Momo’s perfume in this kind of distance. Momo didn’t notice that she just made someone’s heart beating so fast, and just care to fasten the seatbelt.

 

CLICK!

 

Mina opened her eyes and thankfully, Momo started driving.

 

“Whoa, that was dangerous.” She mumbled.

 

Unknown to her, Momo heard that and she smiled.

 

#

 

Mina was grateful that they were now arrived Hirai’s house—wait no—Hirai’s mansion. Oh, that’s feel much true. At least, she won’t stay with just only both of them in this small area. Not to mention, Momo didn’t even turn on the radio. It was so awkward, you know.

 

Soon, Mina was brought by Momo to meet her in-law—Momo’s parents, Mr. Hirai and Mrs. Hirai. It was quite awkward for Mina when they told her to call her like what Momo called them when she just met them like… twice? Anyway, it was awkward.

 

By the way, Mrs. Hirai seems to fond of Mina as well as her father. Well, the only one Hirai that didn’t like her was… Hirai-you-know-who. Mina glad that they acted so warm with her. Also, Mina also like Momo’s mother, cause she finally can feel a mother’s love. True, Mina lost her mother when she was five.

 

Also, the warm dinner they had together. It feel so complete to Mina. She always dream to have a dinner with a complete family. To be honest, she rarely have a dinner with her only dad because he always coped to work and Mina spent most of her time in US. But to her dismay, Momo’s older sister wasn’t there.

 

“Momo, when are you going to bring Mina to your grandparent?” Mr. Hirai suddenly asked his daughter. Momo looked up.

 

“Otou-san, obaa-san and ojii-san leave far away from here. How can I?” Momo replied. Mina just listened to them.

 

“Why not? Japan isn’t far away. I don’t ask you to go there by boat.” Mr. Hirai said.

 

“But still otou-san, I have works.” Momo didn’t want to lose. “If we’re going there, I need to leave the office at least a week.”

 

“No, you can. We’ve plenty of staffs here and I can supervise them by myself.” Mr. Hirai said. “And I’m sure, your obaa-san and ojii-san are very eager to meet Mina. The last time you married, they weren’t here.”

 

Momo sighed. She knew where this conversation will lead to. She knew that her father won’t give up.

 

“It’s decided. You’re going to Japan with Mina in two weeks.”

 

#

 

The next day, Mina felt slightly unwell. Her lower abdoment felt twitching. Maybe it’s the time of the month. Mina looked at the calendar and she was right. It was the time of the month. Mina thought she need to check in the bathroom but she found her legs weaken.

 

With the help of the bed, she slowly got up and tried to stand. Much to her dismay, her head suddenly felt heavy and her vision became blurry. With one hand massaging her temple while the other one holding her lower abdoment, Mina tried to walk towards the bathroom.

 

THUD!

 

Suddenly, everything went black.

 

#

 

Momo was ready in her suit again. It’s another day to do her daily routine which is working. After fixing her blazer, Momo walked out to the kitchen.

 

Eventually, Momo felt it’s weird not to see Mina around this time. For sure, the latter should be woken up and watched the TV while waiting Momo to made them breakfast—or she would just eat the the toast bread, the only thing she could make—on the couch. But to her dismay, Mina was neither in her sight.

 

Is she sick?

 

The thought once passed through her mind but Momo didn’t think that further. She finished her plate and sure to leave some for the latter. But when she was about to wear her shoes, the sudden thought of Mina greeted again. Momo felt uneasy all of sudden.

 

Momo rushed towards Mina’s room.

 

“Mina, are you awake yet?” Momo asked gently as she knocked on the latter’s door. Hearing nothing as reply, Momo asked again. The third time she received the same response, Momo decided to enter the room by herself.

 

“MINA!”

 

The scary sight greeted Momo’s eyes the moment she stepped inside Mina’s room. She was freaked out to see Mina was lying unconciously on the floor, looking pale. Momo quickly reached out for Mina and lifted her head on her lap.

 

“Mina, are you alright?!” But Mina didn’t replied. She was totally black out. Panic rushed in Momo’s blood to her head. Her hand gently held Mina’s cheek and slapped it softly to wake her up. But Mina remained still.

 

Momo quickly took out her phone from the behind pocket and dialed a number.

 

“Yes, Ms. Hirai?” It’s her secretary.

 

“Jisoo-ssi, listen. I’ll be late today. Can you cancel all the morning appointments?”

 

“Alright. I’ll do it. Something happen? You sounds trouble.”

 

“My wife is sick. Don’t worry, I’ll come after lunch. Inform me if anything happen.”

 

“Okay. Don’t worry. Just take care of her.”

 

“Sure.”

 

Momo hung up the call and put aside her phone. She picked up Mina in her arms and lay her down on the bed. Momo really didn’t know what to do and decided to call Nayeon.

 

“What’s up, Mo—“

 

“Unnie, come here. Palli!”

 

“Wha—what happen?!”

 

“Mina fainted! I don’t know what to do! Come here, please! Palli!”

 

“WHAT?! Okay, I come now. Wait there!”

 

*tuut*

 

Momo walked back and forth beside Mina’s bed. She just waited for Nayeon to come. Sometimes, she glanced at the pale Mina and whispered,

 

“Please don’t let anything happen to her.”

 

#

 

Around 20 minutes later, Momo heard the door bell rang and knowing it’s Nayeon, Momo ran like a maniac towards the door. Nayeon asked her what actually happened and Momo explained everything. They both inside Mina’s room.

 

Nayeon was lost in thought when they heard a groan coming from Mina. She quickly went beside Mina.

 

“Are you okay?” Nayeon asked. Momo just stood there.

 

“Nayeon unnie? What happened?”

 

“Momo saw you fainted. Are you alright?”

 

“I need to go to the bathroom. Can you help me?” Mina said. Nayeon nodded and helped Mina to stand. Nayeon looked towards the worried Momo and said, “Let me settle this. You can wait outside.” Momo nodded and waited at the living room.

 

Meanwhile, Mina was in the bathroom. She called for Nayeon. “Nayeon unnie,”

 

“Ne?”

 

“Can you help me take something in my wardrobe? It’s in the red box.”

 

“Okay.”

 

Nayeon took the thing and passed it to Mina. “You’re period?”

 

“Yeah. Maybe I fainted because of the PMS. It was rare though.” Mina answered. She then walked out after a while. “What are you laughing at?” Mina asked as she saw Nayeon laughed on her bed.

 

“Momo would be freaking out if she know about this.” Nayeon said. Mina furrowed her eyebrows. “Eh? Why would she?”

 

“She was worried to hell. She called me in panic and asked me to come here.” Nayeon chuckled. “By her tone she used, I almost thought you died.”

 

“Is she that worried?” Mina asked as she sat beside Nayeon. Nayeon nodded eagerly.

 

“Yeah, you should see her face! OMG, it was freaking hilarious!” Nayeon laughed. “Omo, I need to tell her about you now. I bet she’s still worried about you.” Nayeon said. “Want to join?”

 

Mina nodded.

 

#

 

“Momo-yah,”

 

Momo quickly jumped out of the couch and looked at Nayeon. Nayeon wanted to laugh so bad at Momo’s face but she’s kept it to herself. Nayeon eyed Mina who was hiding at the corner of the wall, spying them as she laughed silently.

 

“M-Mina… She… she…”

 

“What happened? Is it something serious? Should we go to the hospital?”

 

Nayeon bit her lips as she held her laughter. But she failed eventually as she bursted out laughing at Momo’s face.

 

“Why? W-Why are you laughing?” Momo asked confusedly. “Yah, Nayeon unnie!”

 

“Pfft! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!” Nayeon continue to laugh. “Mina-yah, come here!”

 

Mina heard her name being called and came stood beside Nayeon. Momo was confused. Totally confused. “Mina, aren’t you sick?”

 

“You stupid! Mina is not seriously sick! It’s the time of the month!” Nayeon said. Momo widen her eyes. “SHE WHAT?!”

 

Mina and Nayeon bursted into laughter. But not to Momo. She was taking Mina’s state earlier as a serious thing and now they here laughing? Momo was mad.

 

“Huh, just laugh all you want. I’m out.” Momo snatched her phone and car key on the coffee table. She managed to glare at Mina before left and not forget to slam the door behind her.

 

Nayeon blinked her eyes. “Did she just… mad at us?”

 

#

 

“Ah, I can’t believe this!” Momo said as she slumped on the chair behind her table. She kept her eyes close for a while before releasing an audible sigh. She still can’t believe that she’s worried over small matter. Not to mention, those two were really getting on her nerves.

 

KNOCK KNOCK!

 

Momo opened her eyes as she heard someone pushed the door open. Well, it’s none other than her secretary, Kim Jisoo. The latter walked towards the stressed Momo and smiled.

 

“I thought you said you will come after lunch time?” She asked. Momo let another sigh.

 

“Problem settled.” She shortly answered Jisoo.

 

“How’s your wife?”

 

“She’s okay. I mean, REALLY okay.” Momo stressed the word ‘really’. Jisoo who heard that just giggled at Momo’s answer. Something must happened.

 

“What’s today agenda?” Momo asked. She finally can compose herself. She better get a grip now because of works. Jisoo flipped her planner.

 

“Let’s see. You have a meeting with team manager. After that, the meeting with other agency’s CEO. Then, a talk with soon-to-be-debut group. Then, cut. No other schedule.” Jisoo explained.

 

“Ugh, too much work.” Momo said. “It’s okay, you can go now.”

 

“Wait, something came for you.” Jisoo said as she passed Momo an envelope.

 

“What’s this?” Momo asked.

 

“I don’t know. I’ll take my leave now.” Jisoo then left Momo alone in her office. Momo opened the envelope and there were two tickets to Japan. Momo saw the date on the ticket and freaked out.

 

“Otou-san is too much! He said in two weeks!” Momo quickly dialed her father’s number.

 

“Hi, Momo dear!”

 

“Otou-san! You said yesterday that we’ll go in two weeks but why the ticket booked in two days?!” Momo was sure angry.

 

“Hehehe… I’m sorry. But what to do, the ticket were booked on that day. By hook or by crook, you need to go in two days.”

 

“Ah, otou-san! How can I—“

 

No excuses, Momo. I’m serious. You’re going to Japan in two days.”

 

#

 

Momo didn’t think that she can cook for dinner tonight. She was exhausted. So, she just had her dinner outside and order a take out for Mina. She late this time. Momo hoped that Mina didn’t touch her kitchen.

 

Around 9 pm, Momo arrived home safely. Damn, her shoulders hurt so much after all the meeting she had. She punched the passcode on the door and pushed the door opened. Oh my, what a luck. Mina’s there on the couch, watching TV. She noticed Momo was home but she didn’t dare to greet her after what happened this morning.

 

To be honest, Nayeon stayed at the house to keep Mina company and returned after lunch. They only ordered take out because Nayeon also bad at cooking. What a coincidence for both of them.

 

Mina wanted to act cool in front of Momo but Momo kept staring at her, eventually made her nervous all of sudden. Like she commited a big mistake when it’s only a small matter. Suddenly Momo stood in front of her, completely blocking her vision from the TV.

 

“Yah,”

 

“I bought you dinner.” Momo said as she passed Mina the paper bag in her hand. What with that cold tone? Mina shrugged. When she took the paper bag, Momo quickly walked away, which made Mina confused.

 

“Have you eaten your—“

 

“I did. Just eat yours.” Momo replied without turning back. She entered her room and locked the door.

 

Mina frowned.

 

#

 

It felt different to eat alone when you always eat together with that certain someone in that house. That’s what Mina felt. She felt somewhat empty feeling when she saw the empty seat in front of her. Momo and her always eat together, no matter how hate the latter was with her. Well, she cooked for her too.

 

Although she was mad at Mina earlier, at least she still care for her. She still remember that Mina haven’t eat her dinner and bought her take out. Mina was relieved for that. Finish eating, Mina cleared the mess she made and proceeded to her room.

 

She didn’t feel to watch the TV anymore.

 

#

 

Two days passed just like that. True, it’s the day that Momo and Mina will fly to Japan and met Momo’s grandparents. While Mina, she kept receiving mixed signal from Momo. At one time, the blonde would mad at her then the next day, she acted like nothing happened. What a bipolar Momo is.

 

Momo was dragging her luggage while Mina following behind. Yes, there were at the airport and still waiting for their flight to board. They still had 30 minutes left. While Mina busied herself doing something with her phone, Momo couldn’t help but to frown. Because she thought that Mina was texting her boyfriend. (What a shame.)

 

Momo couldn’t take it anymore and stood up abruptly. Mina was startled and quickly paused her game. Yes, game. She’s playing her game, totally not texting her boyfriend like what Momo thought so. One more thing that you should know, Momo didn’t know the matter of fact. She suddenly walked away and left Mina dumb-founded.

 

Mina just shrugged it off and resumed her game.

 

#

 

Momo rely 10 minutes before the flight about to board. Mina was pissed off by Momo sudden missing and about to give her a good scold when Momo just grabbed her luggage and left.

 

Wait, what?

 

“She’s ignoring me?”

 

Mina didn’t want to think about it and quickly followed Momo from behind. Now that they board their flight, both of them were searching for their seat. What a (bad) luck, their seat just beside each other. Mina who wanted to sit beside the window was so annoyed when Momo took it first. Not to mention, that resting b*tch face she’s giving with an additional ‘merong’ after she sat beside the window.

 

Mina hoped that the window broke and swallowed Momo out of the plane.

 

#

 

“Aren’t we there yet?” Mina painfully asked. Her feets hurt so much, she regretted wearing heels today. Meanwhile, our Momo didn’t seems want to answer Mina’s question and kept moving forward. Since at the airport, Momo ignored Mina all the time and even bullying her by making her to drag her luggage. Everyone’s knows how BIG Momo’s luggage is.

 

“Yah, why are we walking instead of riding a taxi?“

 

“Taxi don’t enter this village and…can’t you speak Japanese? Geez, we’re in Japan already.” Momo replied in their mother-tongue language. “And not to mention that you’re pure Japanese too.” She mumbled but Mina heard her.

 

“I know! No need to mention!” Mina replied in Japanese.

 

“Why are you raising your voice?”

 

“I’m not!” Mina frowned. She’s totally annoyed by Momo right now. Plus, with her tired feets and walking while dragging two luggages were not helping at all. “When are we gonna arrive your grandparents’ house?”

 

“Soon.”

 

“Soon is not the answer that I want to hear, Mono.”

 

“Whatever, Mini. Just bear with it.”

 

With that, Momo walked ahead Mina while whistling to some tunes, which annoyed Mina more. Mina forcefully dragged the heavy luggages, following Momo. What a dejavu.

 

#

 

“Obaa-san! Ojii-san! I’m here!” Momo shouted as soon as they entered the area of an old style Japanese house. Mina eyed the house from outside. Well, it’s not too big and not too small either. It suits for an old couple living here.

 

Mina was still panting from the whole 2km they walked at the village. Her both hands lay on her knees, still catching breathe. “Such a drama queen,” Momo commented. Oh my, Mina almost throw the luggages on Momo’s face.

 

Then, they heard a shuffling sound coming from inside of the house. The door slid opened and revealed a pair of an old couple which Mina believed it’s Momo’s grandparents.

 

“Momo-chan!” An old woman quickly engulfed Momo in her arms as soon as she saw her while the man just flashed his smile. “My grand daughter is here~” She said. “Oh my, is this your wife?” Obaa-san saw Mina over her shoulder who nodded shyly. She pulled from the hug and reached for Mina.

 

“You’re really pretty,” Obaa-san said while caressing Mina’s hair. Mina can just smile shyly again. “Aww, look at you. But, you look tired.” Obaa-san frowned.

 

“We’re walking.” Answered Mina shortly which made the older woman frowned again.

 

“Walk? Why not ride on taxi?” This time, Mina was frowning. She looked at Momo and saw that the latter was holding her laughter. This can’t be.

 

“But, Momo said… taxi doesn’t enter this area.” Mina said.

 

“What? Ah, Momo must be bullying you. Aish, this naughty kid!” Mina widen her eyes. She was bullied by Momo? Oh, great!

 

“Let’s get inside first. You need to rest.”