Chapter 16

The Secret Door

     The next morning, Jihyo came early to take turns after the 2yeon couple. The two waved her goodbye and promised to come during lunch. Jihyo passed her business to her other workers to take care of, and went to visit Mina. She called Sana and the latter said she will come later as she has something to take care of. Jihyo didn’t mind that, but she was bothered by Sana’s voice over the phone.

 

Around lunch time, Sana came and apologised to Jihyo. She looked lifeless. She had dark circle and eye bags. She looked like she just cried all night.

 

“Sana, are you okay?” Jihyo asked. “Did you cried?” Sana just smiled.

 

“Nothing, Jihyo-yah. Works.” Sana replied, tried to sound cheerful. But Jihyo is not that dense.

 

“That is not nothing. Your smile is fake.” Jihyo commented and went forward to hug the older girl less then a year, which caused Jihyo to drop the formalities. She only call Nayeon and Jeongyeon as unnie.

 

Just as it’s a queue, Sana’s eyes started watery again and droplets of tears streaming down her cheeks as she cried. She was too caught up in her emotion that she didn’t notice that Nayeon and Jeongyeon have arrived and asked what happened.

 

They went to sit at the hospital garden, for Sana to tell everything. Then Sana started to tell, from A-Z. Jeongyeon was caught up in anger and almost curse, if not for Nayeon to hold her. Jihyo continued to rub Sana’s back to calm the girl.

 

“I can’t belive that Tzuyu actually cheat on you. There’s something off.” Jihyo commented. Jeongyeon scoffed.

 

“What’s there to be off, Jihyo? We can already know by the way she treated Sana. Sana has suffered so much.” She said. Nayeon held Jeongyeon by her hand to calm her down. She knew when Jeongyeon was mad, a person could die. She knew how precious the Japanese girl to her and she can’t bear to see Sana suffer too.

 

“I know, Jeongyeon unnie. But we need to hear from Tzuyu’s side too. It’s not fair for her.” Jihyo said. Sana opened to speak.

 

“I think Jihyo is right. I already brush off her explanation last night. I didn’t give her a chance.” She said after regained calmness.

 

“Seriously, Sana? You still on her side after all she did to you?” Jeongyeon still can’t believe her ears.

 

“I’m not saying that Im taking her side. I said we should listen her too.” Sana said. “I’m sorry.” She apologised as she thinks that she sounds rude to the older girl.

 

“Anything you said.” Jeongyeon replied. “But if I see her face, I swear I will confront her. You know what it means.” She continued.

 

“Calm down, Jeong.” Nayeon pecked her cheek. “Let’s go to Mina. She must be lonely.”

 

“Okay.”

 

#

 

They used the elevator to Mina’s floor and walked to her ward. While they tried to make Sana smile again, they met with the person that least expected. Nayeon held Jeongyeon’s hand tight, so that she won’t pounce on the tall girl stood before them.

 

“What are you doing here, Chou Tzuyu?” Jeongyeon asked through gritted teeth. Judging by the tone she used, Tzuyu knew that the other was acknowledge the problem.

 

“I came to talk.” Tzuyu replied. “With Sana.”

 

“Sana…?”

 

“… unnie. With Sana unnie.”

 

“Let her, Jeong. Let them talk.” Nayeon said, caressing Jeongyeon’s arm. Sana stood forward.

 

“Follow me.”

 

“Don’t hurt Sana.” Jeongyeon gave one last warn before they disappeared behind the exit door.

 

They stood facing each other at the stairs. Sana was making and expressionless face while Tzuyu fidgetting her fingers. She did that every time she’s nervous. Sana saw that.

 

“Relax and explain. I don’t have all day for you.” Sana broke the silence. Tzuyu cleared .

 

“Firstly, I’m sorry. I didn’t intend to do that. I don’t know that girl at all.” Tzuyu said.

 

“Then why you kissed her? Why you did dirty things with her and not me, your current girlfriend?” Sana retorted. She can’t hold it anymore.

 

“Because you’re precious. You’re like an untouchable diamond that can only being watch, not touch.” Tzuyu said.

 

“Stop playing with words. All you said didn’t go with how you treated me.”

 

“You’re great. It’s just that’s me who aren’t suit you. There are many other people who suit you, who can make you happy. Anyone but me. Who am I? I’m just a girl who have nothing except her gym. I can’t make you happy. I was insecured with all man out there who approach you.”

 

“I chose you.” Sana replied. Tears threatening to fall.

 

“But for how long? By the time, your heart will change. You will leave me. I’m not enough. I was stressing over this and went for drinks every night. To find answers. But I couldn’t. Yesterday was the peak. I didn’t remember and I don’t know who is the girl. I relented under her touch. I lose.”

 

Sana’s tears rolled her cheeks one by one. Oh, how Tzuyu wanted to wipe that tears but she is not at a place to do that.

 

“Then, what are you planning?” Sana said. “What are you thinking? You make me sounds unfaithful. You make my love sounds like a joke to you. My love is real, Tzuyu! I love you for who you are!”

 

“I don’t know what I’m thinking. I don’t know what I’m doing. It’s not just you who hurt. Me too.” Tzuyu said.

 

“Then, should we take a break?” Sana sniffed. “Until you believe that my love for you is nothing but pure love.” Sana stepped forward. At this distance, she finally can see how glassy Tzuyu’s eyes look now for the girl who never cry.

 

Sana put a hand on Tzuyu’s cheek.

 

“I love you. I always do. For now, let’s stay as friends.” Sana choked on her own words. “If that can make you realise.” She continued.

 

Sana leaned to kiss Tzuyu’s lips. The kiss last for a few seconds for Sana to moves her lips gently on Tzuyu, with tears still rolling on her cheeks. “Good bye, Chewy-ah.” She then walked away, leaving Tzuyu in miserable at the lonely staircase. Tzuyu remained stunned. Her hand reached for her lips. It’s the first time their lips touched each other.

 

And Tzuyu regretted it so much.

 

#

 

The next day came again and Mina’s condition didn’t get any better. She remained lying unconscious on the hospital bed for two days now.No one could believe how a fever can bring her into this kind of condition.

 

Momo’s parents and Mr. Myoui come from time to time for Mina. The only person who’s not there was Momo herself. She still had her phone off and make it harder for the girls.

 

Today was Chaeyoung’s turn to take care of Mina. The rest had left her for the night shift. She would stay until tomorrow’s morning. By the time, Chaeyoung took sometime to fetch someone to the hospital.

 

“Her name is Mina, right?” Dahyun asked as she walked side by side with the short girl. Chaeyoung nodded.

 

“Please be careful.” She said as she entered the room where Mina was lying unconsciously. Dahyun took a look at Mina’s pale face.

 

“She’s even pretty in her sleep.” She commented. “Momo unnie got a pretty girl to herself.” She said again.

 

“Did I look like that too when I was in her condition?” Dahyun asked Chaeyoung. The latter looked into the older girl’s eyes.

 

“You’re always pretty in any condition, unnie.” Chaeyoung replied.

 

“You cheeseball. I might fall for you at this rate.” Dahyun jokingly said.

 

“Why not, unnie? I’m ready to catch you.” Chaeyoung said in her heart.

 

If only she had enough courage to say that outloud.

 

#

 

Today was the last day Momo at the man-made island. She had a flight to catch in an hour, which at 9 pm. Momo grabbed a quick dinner before when to the airport for her flight. When she arrived Seoul an hour later, she quickly on her phone.

 

“What? Why did Jeongyeon called me so much? The others too.” Momo commented as her finger scrolling the name. She put her luggage on the trunk and went to the driver seat. She drove to home.

 

Momo stood in front of her apartment door with a sigh escaping . Punching the code and pushed the door open, she was greeted by a dark and empty house. Momo flicked the light on, and saw the lunch she bought two days ago remained untouched. Momo felt something tugging her left chest and went to check Mina’s room.

 

To her surprise, Mina’s room is dark, and the door left opened. Momo switched on the lamp and found no one in her room. She tried calling Mina but the sound of the latter’s phone was inside the room. Momo was panic.

 

Just then, her phone rang again, indicating a call come in. Jeongyeon’s name on the screen. She answered the call.

 

“Finally! Where are you, bastard?!”

 

“Whoa whoa, calm down! What’s up?”

 

“What’s up? You asked me what’s up? The hell, Momo! We can’t reach you at all in three days!”

 

“I went for business trip, okay! Don’t shout!”

 

“Do you even know what happened to Mina?”

 

“Mina? What happened? I can’t find her the moment I arrive home.”

 

“Of course you can’t. She’s not at home. She’s at the hospital. Come to Kanghan Hospital. We will catch up with you.”

 

“Hospital? Wait, Jeong—“

 

*tuut*

 

“Oh, !” Momo grabbed her car keys and drove at a speed of light towards the said hospital.

 

#

 

Loud footsteps echoed into the hospital. Momo went to the reception and asked Mina’s ward.

 

“Myoui Mina. Where is she?” She asked, panting.

 

“I’m sorry, who are you?”

 

“I’m Hirai Momo, her wife. May I know her room, please?” She said. “Make it fast.”

 

“Ms. Myoui Mina is on level 5, room number 571-D.”

 

Momo thanked the nurse and went for the said room.

 

#

 

“Let’s go, unnie. I just received a message from the unnies that Momo unnie is on her way here.” Chaeyoung said, looking up from her phone. Dahyun looked up.

 

“She’s here?” Chaeyoung nodded. “Chaeyoung-ah, I want to see her once. Please…”

 

Chaeyoung sighed. “Not now, unnie. The others are coming too. You don’t want to blow up your cover.” She said.

 

“It’s okay. I have my mask. Don’t worry, I wil watch her from afar.” Dahyun insisted. “For once, please, Chaeyoung-ah.”

 

“Okay.”

 

The two went out the ward and bumped into running Momo in the hallway. Chaeyoung was panicked to death.

 

“Chaeyoung-ah, where’s Mina?”

 

Chaeyoung remained stunned. Dahyun nudged Chaeyoung to answer Momo. Luckily, she have her mask.

 

“Oh oh! Mina unnie is in there!” Chaeyoung pointed at a room. Momo thanked her and dashed towards the said room. She didn’t even mind the person stood beside Chaeyoung.

 

Dahyun’s eyes traced Momo’s path and Chaeyoung know that look. She’s longing for Momo.

 

“She seems freak out.” Dahyun said.

 

“Did she fell in love with the girl already?” She continued.

 

Chaeyoung cleared and held Dahyun’s arm. “Let’s go before the other arrives.”

 

Dahyun followed Chaeyoung out of the hospital.

 

#

 

Momo slammed the door open. As soon as she did that, her eyes quickly land on a figure lying lifelessly on the hospital bed, looking pale. With a hesitant step, Momo walked towards the latter without taking her eyes off from her.

 

Her body stopped beside the bed. She felt her left chest hurts. It felt like her heart was being squeezed by invincible hand. Momo almost dropped on her knees if she didn’t hold the bed. In front of her was Mina, with pale face and dry lips, maybe because her body is weak. Mina reminded her of something. This felt like déjà vu.

 

Momo felt guilty. She remembered what she had said before she left the home for business trip. If only she didn’t make a harsh decision. If only she talked nicely with her that night. If only she spend a second to check on Mina. This couldn’t have happen.

 

Momo left the room almost immediately. Her heart cannot contain the hurt feeling as she look at mina’s condition. She was blaming herself. When she opened the door, her eyes met with five pairs of eyes looking at her. Momo felt ashamed.

 

She plopped herself on the chair and buried her face with her palms. Soon, her body trembled and she tears rolling on her cheeks freely. Jeongyeon and Nayeon immediately sat beside her and rubbing her back to calm her down.

 

“I was guilty. I was wrong. I shouldn’t leave her.” Momo said between her cries. Her voice was muffled with her own palms. Jeongyeon pulled her into her embrace.

 

“You shouldn’t cut your line. Everyone can’t reach you.” She said.

 

“That’s my fault. I was too overthinking. I only thought about my feelings.” Momo confessed. “What do you mean?” Nayeon asked. “Did something happened before that?”

 

Momo pulled herself out from from Jeongyeon hug. She wiped her stained cheeks and inhaled. The other girls now setting themselves near Momo, to hear her story. Chaeyoung was the last one to join because she was sending Dahyun out secretly.

 

“We fought the night before. Mina brought up the topic I hate the most, and I bursted out. She just wanted to help me, but I chased her out. She must be hurt. I shouldn’t do that to her…” Momo explained.

 

Nayeon rubbed Momo’s back. “I know this would happen someday.” She sighed. “Mina is really worried about you, Momo. She’s not that busy body, she was sincere. She didn’t tell me what’s wrong but I guess it have something to do about her. Am I right?”

 

Momo looked up to Nayeon. “You knew?”

 

Nayeon nodded. “I knew everything about you. You’re like my younger sister. You can’t hide anything from me. Mina is easy to read also.”

 

“Did she tell you anything more?” Momo asked.

 

“No.” Nayeon answered calmly. “She’s good at keeping secret. But I’m the marvelous Nayeon. I know something’s wrong.” Jeongyeon nudged Nayeon for joking when things went serious. “What?”

 

“I told her that sooner or later, you will open up to her. Maybe not now, but soon.” Nayeon said. “So, what are you going to do now?”

 

Momo wiped her face.

 

“I will take care of her until she’s awake. I will apologise.”

 

#

 

That night, Momo didn’t go home. She simply told Chaeyoung to go home and let her do the rest. She also called her parents and she did received a long speech from Mr. Hirai. Then, she apologised to Mina’s dad, because she is being a jerk to Mina. She promised to treat Mina better after this.

 

Resuming the event, Momo is now sitting on a chair placed near Mina’s bed. Momo made herself braver, and stayed by Mina side. She never left the girl, except for bathroom. She held Mina’s cold hand all night. And tomorrow, miracles happen.

 

Momo was awake because she felt that Mina’s finger is moving. She called Mina’s name and the latter opened her eyes slowly. Momo immediately smiled as she ran to get the doctor.

 

“Wait here, Mina! I’m calling the doctor.”