Chapter 14

The Secret Door

Hahaha! Sorry for updating the Chapter 13 thrice. I didn't realise that actually. There's something wrong with network connection and made me tapped the 'Save Change' button thrice. So here, a short chapter for you guys!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

     The next day came again. It felt like a dream because today’s gonna be the second last day they will have in Japan. They have a morning flight to Korea to catch tomorrow. As sun was glistening through the wooden window sill, Momo opened her eyes slowly.

 

Strangely, she felt her right arm was numb. Momo turned to get a better look of it and found something, or better someon’s head lying peacefully on her arm. Momo gasped in shocked, cupping so that she will not produced any sound and disturbing the person’s beauty sleep. After all, Momo didn’t know why she did that.

 

This is one of the reason that Momo dislike the idea of sharing the mattress at first. She knew that she will be a heavy sleeper, and not to mention of her unconscious hugging habit that was in herself since she was a child.

 

But yesterday was cold. Momo thinks that if she ended up sleeping on the floor, she must catch a cold by this morning, and the backache. Momo shifted her body slowly to face the person, who’s facing her also.

 

It was weird that Momo found herself staring at the beautiful creature before her, admiring the latter’s features. Momo never being in such a close distance like this with Mina. Momo noticed, how fair her skin was, her bridgy nose, her moles, her sily hair and… her kissable lips.

 

Momo unconsciously her own lips, then realised her silliness. Momo shrugged the thought of her head and continue staring.

 

And just as a queue, Mina shifted and opened her eyes. The size grew widen at the close distance she found with Momo, staring straight into her eyes just as she opened it. Mina wailed, hands pushing Momo off the mattress, greeting her ears with a loud thud.

 

“Ouch!” Momo groaned as she sit and rubbed her back.

 

Mina sat up straight while fidgeting her fingers, looking guilty at Momo. Momo glared at her.

 

“Why did you push me?” Momo asked, sounding it a little harsh.

 

“Y-You were so close! Why did you s-stare at me like that?” Mina retorted. She wanted to sound confident, but her voice was wavered by her flustered feelings. Momo’s cheeks blushed into a bright pink and the same goes to the latter. Both look at anything but each other, trying to sooth the nervousness. Then, Momo stood up.

 

“I’m going to bath,” She said and left the room. Mina was left alone, wailing her hand to fan her heated face.

 

#

 

The day went pretty much good. Momo’s grandparents suggested to make a barbeque for their last night staying at Japan. In the afternoon, Momo and ojii-san have off to buy the ingredients, while Mina will helped obaa-san with the seasoning.

 

Evening came. While Momo was complaining why she can’t light up the fire to her ojii-san, Mina was bringing the food out with obaa-san. They sat at the bench while waiting for the fire to start up, which was 20 minutes later, because Momo was being childish.

 

Mina shook her head at Momo’s childishness. Unconsciously. But obaa-san saw it anyways and smiled for the two. Sooner or later, they will found each other, the old woman thought.

 

The barbeque went well. It last long for two hours, before the elders excused themselves to sleep. They are oldies anyways. They were tired and need more rest, leaving the two married couple at the scene.

 

The two were left with the cleaning duty and ended up for drinking cans of beers at the backyard garden. It was Momo who was bringing the drinks while Mina was catching her breath on the swing.

 

“Drink some,” Momo said as she passed a can to Mina. Mina received it with a smile and fainted voice of “Thank you,” for Momo. Momo made herself sat beside Mina on the swing.

 

None of them was talking, only drinking the beers they had while staring at the night sky. Mina decided to break the silence.

 

“You’re weird sometimes,” Mina said, gaining Momo’s attention. Momo turned her head and faced Mina.

 

“Why did you say that?” She asked, taking another sip.

 

“I don’t know. But it’s felt like you have different identities.” Mina started. “Sometimes you’re kind, you care for me, then you look gloomy, stressful, messy. You seems miserable at sometime. And… scary.”

 

Momo furrowed her eyebrow at the last word. “… scary?”

 

Mina sighed. “Yeah, scary.” She paused. “I don’t know if I should briging this up, but after that night I entered that room, you… you… looks so scary to me.”

 

Momo remained silence.

 

“Why are you so mad at me that night?”

 

Momo sighed. “Obviously, because you entered the room without my permission.”

 

But Mina didn’t feel convince.

 

“What’s wrong with entering the room? What’s there in that?”

 

“Can we not talk about this?” Momo asked, or rather be called as said. It was obvious that she didn’t want the topic come out. Mina nodded. Maybe the time hasn’t come yet.

 

“Sure,”

 

Silence.

 

#

 

After the talk last night, Momo and Mina didn’t talk. The flight to Korea felt empty. Both felt like they were travelling alone. Momo was sitting beside Mina on the plane, but she never talk. Mina was a little bit upset.

 

When they arrived Momo’s apartment, Momo entered her room straight away. Mina sighed and dragged her luggage to her room. Only hours after that, she heard a knock on the door. Momo called her for dinner.

 

Mina thought that maybe she can confront Momo during the dinner but unfortunately, Momo said she had eaten and that she will be in her room. Mina was left alone with Jokbal at the dining table.

 

Later that night, Momo found herself can’t sleep. Actually, Momo was bugging with the same nightmare every night and that’s the reason why she always drinking wine at night to get her drunk, so that she will not bothered by it.

 

But during the stay in Japan, never once she had the nightmare. The week seems peaceful. Her night was calm. Is it because Mina was in the same room?

 

Momo found herself taking pills for insomniac in the kitchen. Just as she swallowed the pill, she heard footsteps and then a silhoutte appeared in the corner. It’s none other than Mina. Mina was shocked to see Momo there, and also, the small bottle in her hand.

 

“What is that? Are you sick?” Mina approached her and took the bottle from Momo’s grip. “Sleeping pills? You had trouble sleeping?”

 

Momo remained silence. She took the bottle again and kept it in a drawer. She walked pass Mina to her bedroom, but was caught by a hand. “You’re not going anywhere. Let’s talk.”

 

#

 

And later they found themselves sitting on the couch at the living room. Mina broke the silence.

 

“Can you at least tell me your problem? Maybe I can help.” Mina said.

 

“You just made it worst,” Momo replied straight away. “You are not helping.”

 

Mina had to admit that sound harsh. She was hurt. But Mina didn’t want to give up.

 

“Why?”

 

Momo looked up and glared, straight into her eyes. Her breath became heavy and Mina was slightly scared by Momo’s reaction.

 

“Can you stop asking?! I didn’t ask for your help! I was okay but you just bringing up the topic again and make me think of it all night!” Momo shouted.

 

“You aren’t helping. Not at all. All you did just to make me more miserable! I thought that I can finally escape the thought again! You! You just ruined it!”

 

Mina found herself trembled before Momo. Her eyes were welled up by tears, threatening to fall. While Momo continued her out burst, Mina was tightening the grip on her shirt while holding up her tears. Why is this felt so hurt?

 

Mina just wanted to talk, so that she could help. But she ended up making Momo suffered more. Mina stood up and ran to her room. She entered the bathroom, standing under the shower and let herself drenched with water.

 

“Why is this hurt so much…?”