Chapter 11

The Secret Door

Japan.

 

     Time ticking so fast that Momo and Mina didn’t even notice it’s almost lunch time. Only when ojii-san came, they realised that they should rush home to have their lunch. Once again, Mina experienced to ride the truck.

 

One thing that Mina liked is, they were greeted by the smell of delicious food the moment they entered the kitchen area. Obaa-san really cooked a lot since her grand daughter rarely come to Japan.

 

Also, Mina still can’t believe that Momo could swallowed all the food like in 15 minutes. Obaa-san told her that actually there’s a black hole in Momo’s stomach, that’s why she eat like there’s no tomorrow. But Mina still wonder why she never see this side of Momo before back in Korea.

 

In the evening, Mina spent her time with obaa-san at the small garden they had at the backyard. Meanwhile Momo, she’s following ojii-san to somewhere. Obaa-san pulled Mina to sit on a bench. They didn’t talk, but the silence was comfortable for both parties. Obaa-san held Mina hand and caressed it while smiling.

 

“Why obaa-san?” Mina asked. Obaa-san’s smile became wider.

 

“Nothing. It just… that I’m happy that Momo finally met a kind girl like you. I still can’t believe that my Momo has grown up and married now.” Obaa-san spilled what’s playing in her mine. Hearing that, Mina’s lips curved upward.

 

“I didn’t do anything, obaa-san.” Mina replied. Then, curiosity got her. Suddenly, she wondered what kind of person is Momo when she’s a child.

 

“Obaa-san, I’m curious about Momo’s childhood.” Mina confessed. “What kind of person she is?”

 

Obaa-san’s smile became wider and wider. If Mina really want to hear, she could tell her everything all the day.

 

“Momo is… what should I say… She’s naughty. She always bully her friends in kindergarten back then.”

 

Mina giggled. “I believe she’s naughty until now.”

 

“I can see that. I noticed she made you carry all the luggages yesterday. That girl…” Obaa-san laughed. “But, although she’s naughty, she’s really care towards the person she loves.”

 

“You see, one day, her ojii-san felt sick. She’s panicked like she’s the one who is sick. Momo really loves her ojii-san. I still remember, she didn’t want to go to school that day.” They both laughed.

 

“Those memories… I don’t want to forget till I die. I can’t believe she’s grown up as a pretty girl, and even married to pretty girl like you.” Obaa-san said. “Even though we just met yesterday, I believe, you’re the right person for Momo. As an elderly, I strongly believe that you will make our Momo happy.”

 

“W-Why me?”

 

“You have a kind heart. I’m sorry if Momo bully you, but please consider again. I think, she will fall for you.” Obaa-san said.

 

“Eeeehhh?”

 

Obaa-san chuckled. “Don’t worry. Momo will truly care for you. You can believe my words.” She said as she caressed Mina’s hand again. They both smiled. Somehow, Mina felt relieve after hearing the eldest’s words.

 

“Thank you, obaa-san.” Mina said and they both hugged.

 

“Obaa-san, I’m home!!!” Momo’s loud voice echoed through the house and it reached the backyard. Hearing nothing as respond, Momo decided to find them and apparently found them hugging.

 

“Hey! You’re stealing my obaa-san!” Momo said and made Mina startled. Momo stomped towards them and held obaa-san’s hand. “Obaa-san, why are you hugging this woman?”

 

Mina scoffed. “Tch. I didn’t steal anything nor someone, okay?” Obaa-san chuckled at their interaction.

 

“Haiya… What to do with you two love birds… Come hug me!” She said.

 

While Mina and Momo snuggled into obaa-san’s embrace, they shouted in sync,

 

“We’re not love birds!”

 

#

 

That night, after having dinner, both of them retreated to the room. Like yesterday, Momo and Mina would sleep beside each other with a small gap between them— that Mina put a pillow as a wall.

 

Momo is a fast asleep, she sleep as soon as her head touch the pillow. Meanwhile Mina, she didn’t feel to sleep yet. She decided that she need to walk out and have some fresh air. Slowly, she tip-toed towards the sliding door, and pulling it open, before slipping her slim body out.

 

Walking as slow as tortoise, Mina crept to an open area and sat at the edge of the floor, with her legs hanging down. The night breeze just felt so good as they touch Mina’s smooth skin. But soon after that, she started to regret that she didn’t bring her cardigan with her. Not to mention that she’s lazy to walk back to the room too.

 

At the same time, Momo felt shudder all of sudden and opened her eyes. Squinting, she managed to look at Mina’s space and noticed that she’s gone. Momo jolted up and look around. Still no sign of Mina anywhere in the room. Just then, Momo noticed the door was opened.

 

Taking a sweater with her, Momo walked out and searched for Mina. Living room, kitchen and even backyard garden, but there’s no glimpse of the certain girl. Momo made her way to somewhere—one last place that Mina could be there—the open space at the front.

 

And Momo was right.

 

Sitting there was Mina, enjoying the night breeze although Momo believe she was shivered right there and then. Making her way towards the latter, Momo made herself sit besides the girl, with a small gap between them. Mina was shocked by Momo’s presence.

 

“What are you doing here?” Mina asked.

 

“That’s what I want to ask you. What are you doing here?” Momo replied without looking at Mina, afraid that she would met Mina’s eyes.

 

“Well, I asked you first.”

 

Momo sighed. “So hard head as a girl. This place is mine so I can do whatever I want. Now answer me.”

 

Mina scoffed. “So cocky as a girl. I’m out here to take some air and feel the night breeze.” She said that but she’s shivering. Momo held her laughter.

 

“Stop pretending, I can see you are shivering.” Momo said. She’s leaning close to Mina. “Clearly.”

 

Mina pushed Momo away. “I’m too lazy to take my cardigan.” She replied and looked up to the night sky again.

 

“Take mine.” Momo said as she passed her sweater towards Mina. Mina frowned. “What about you?”

 

“Wow, the fact that you care about other people scare me out. Just take it, silly. You’re wearing sleeveless shirt.” Momo said, rather coldly. She’s tried to hide the excitement as Mina took her sweater with their hand slightly brushed against each other.

 

“The fact that you being kind toward me scare me out too. Also, who are you to call me silly?” Mina replied.

 

Momo scoffed. “Just be grateful I lend you my sweater, you ungrateful creature.” She smirked.

 

Mina was really pissed by Momo’s words just now. Honestly, if she didn’t hold herself, Momo would be kick by her. Mina was serious about that. And she swear, if she ever has that chance, she would gladly kick Momo out of Japan to Korea.

 

Soon, they felt into comfortable silent. Oh thanks God, neither of them start a fight, until…

 

“So, did your boyfriend acknowledge that you are here?” Momo asked out of sudden. Mina frowned as she looked up to Momo.

 

“Pardon?”

 

Momo sighed. “Your boyfriend. Did he know that you’re in Japan?”

 

“What boyfriend are you talking about? I don’t have any.” Mina replied. This time, Momo frowned as she looked up to Mina. She let out a small chuckle.

 

“Don’t play dumb. I know you have one. The picture explain everything.” Momo smirked.

 

“What picture? Hey, I don’t understand what nonsense you’re talking about.” Mina said. She eyed Momo who still had her smirk on her lips, as she fished out her phone, unlocking it and showed the screen up to Mina’s face.

 

Mina frowned upon seeing the flashed picture on Momo’s phone screen. Momo still keeping the smirk on, oblivious to the real fact. All of sudden, Mina broke into a small chuckle, which made Momo frowned.

 

“Pfft…..Hahahahahaha…”

 

“Hey… Why are you laughing?”

 

Mina swept the small tears that about to escape her eyes because of the laughter. Oh my, she didn’t expect that Momo was so dense and stupid at the time. How can she didn’t recognise her friend?!

 

“You… Pfft… Hahaha~ You… really… hahaha~”

 

Momo was pissed off. Mina kept laughing at every word she want to say which made Momo frustrated. “Hey—“

 

“I can’t believe this! Hahaha~ You… take a better look. Hahaha~” Mina said. Momo looked at the picture again but she still didn’t get it. Mina decided to tell her the real matter.

 

“That’s Chaeyoung! Yah, look who’s silly now.” Mina said. Momo eyes widen in shock. “Tch, boyfriend.” Mina mumbled.

 

“H-How—She cut her hair?! Why I don’t know?!” Momo started to rattle and Mina hit her for being so loud. Obaa-san and ojii-san would wake up though.

 

“Yeah, she cut her hair. She was also the one who brought me to the hair saloon.” Mina explained. Momo was staring into the thin air, processing Mina’s words. A sudden realisation hit her and she looked up to Mina.

 

“So… you don’t have boyfriend?”

 

“Wha—Of course no! What’s wrong with you?”

 

Momo looked to the front again and blinked. “But that day… you… you call someone ‘oppa’… I thought you don’t have a brother?”

 

Mina turned to face Momo who wore a confused look on her face. “That… day? When?”

 

“The day after we… fought.”

 

Mina thought for a while. The day after they fought? No, she just hang out with Nayeon unnie. What ‘oppa’ is Momo talking about?

 

“I don’t get it.” Mina said. “Care to elaborate?”

 

Momo sighed. “That day… You came home and you were talking in the phone. You call him…’oppa’.” Momo paused. “Remember now?”

 

Mina thought for a litle more. “Ah, that day…” Mina giggled. “That’s Nayeon unnie.”

 

“Eeeeehhhh?”

 

[FLASHBACK]

 

Mina entered the lift and punched the 20th floor button. Walking towards the apartment unit, her phone screen lit up, signalling someone called her. Mina smiled upon seeing the caller ID.

 

‘Nayeon unnie’

 

“Yeoboseyo? Nayeon unnie,”

 

“Ah, have you reach the house safely?”

 

Mina grinned. Nayeon was just too worried. “Ne. I’m about to enter the password, you know. Geez, you sound like an oppa.”

 

“Whatever. I’m worried since you’re alone.”

 

“I’m okay, oppa.”

 

“Yah, don’t call me that!”

 

“I’m kidding.”

 

“Yeah… Get some rest. Let’s meet again sometime.”

 

CLICK!

 

“Ne, oppa. Kay, bye.”

 

Mina hung up the phone and proceed to her room, ignoring Momo who had watching her since the moment she entered the house.

 

[END OF FLASHBACK]

 

 

“Just… Nayeon unnie…?” Momo blinked after Mina explained to her what actually happen.

 

“Yes. What are you thinking?” Mina said then giggled. Momo found herself almost drowning in the soft music coming out from Mina’s giggle.

 

“N-Nothing.” Momo replied. “Phew…”

 

Somewhat, Momo felt relieve. She felt her heart became lighter when Mina explained the real matter. They felt into complete silent, and Momo decided to break it.

 

“Say Mina, I’m gonna take you around Kyoto tomorrow.”

 

Mina turned to face Momo while giving a confused look. Why so sudden though?

 

“Why so sudden? Aw, you scare me out.” Mina said.

 

“I just feel so.” Momo then stand up. “Hey, it’s cold. We better sleep.” Momo stretched out her hand for Mina to reach it. “Let’s go?”

 

“Y-Yes.”

 

Mina reached for Momo’s awaiting hand and blushed at the slight contact. Like always, it’s only last for a second, before Momo walked ahead of Mina to the room.

 

Unknown to Mina, Momo also had the same colour on her cheeks but slightly brighter.

 

#

 

Seoul.

 

Chaeyoung woke up with a major headache. Her head felt like sh*t. She opened her eyes and found herself lying on her own bedroom. She wondered how she ended up at her own apartment when she’s sure that she was trashing herself last night.

 

Just then, she heard her phone buzzed on a small table beside her bed, with Tzuyu’s name flashing on it. Picking up the phone, Chaeyoung answered it while her other hand massaging her temple.

 

“Hmm.”

 

“Feeling like sh*t?”

 

“Yah, you brought me home?”

 

“Yeah. I can’t believe you almost drink from the vodka bottle last night.”

 

“Seriously? I thought it was a dream.” Chaeyoung scrunched up her face.

 

“Of course, you silly. Listen, I know this gonna happen so I already prepare you aspirin on your kitchen counter. Take it after breakfast, okay?”

 

“Yes, omma.”

 

“Yah, that’s rude. However, fresh up yourself.”

 

“Hmm, I will.” Chaeyoung replied. “Tzuyu?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Thanks. I owe you.”

 

“You owe me an explanation, Chaeng.”

 

“Later, please? I’m gonna hang up now.”

 

“Okay. Bye. Take care, chingu.”

 

“Hmm.”

 

*tuut*

 

Her headache was terrible. She better swallow the damn pills now.

 

#

 

After letting the cold water washed away her tiredness and the damn throbbing feeling on her head, Chaeyoung settled herself on the couch and finished the last bit of her burnt toast. Various of programs were showing on her TV but nothing can’t get the thought away from occupying her pity mind.

 

Shutting down the flashing device, Chaeyoung leaned her back on the couch and sighed heavily. Damn things keep happening around her. And the sudden returned of a certain person made her head messier than before.

 

She still remembered, the talk they had yesterday.

 

[FLASHBACK]

 

“What do you mean?” Chaeyoung retorted. Her face scrunched up against the dizziness.

 

The person sighed. “Chaeyoung, after all these passing years, I still love her. I want her back.” The latter said.

 

“Dahyun unnie, I told you that Momo unnie is married.” She replied.

 

“And I also told you that she didn’t love her wife, am I right?” The latter retorted. “Chaeyoung-ah—“

 

“What do you want me to do? I can’t risk my best friend’s marriage. Momo unnie is more like my own sister. She helped me with my gallery too. Unnie, I can’t.” Chaeyoung said. Right, she can’t risk that thing.

 

She can’t risk her own happiness too.

 

“Aren’t you my best friend too?” Dahyun asked. Her hand was reaching for Chaeyoung’s cold ones.

 

“But still…”

 

“You know, Chaeyoung? I trust you the most among others. You’re the first one I called since I land here. How could you?” Dahyun said, desperateness was visibled. Chaeyoung was conflicted. She was dumb-founded.

 

“Wait. The others still didn’t know that you’re here…?” Chaeyoung asked.

 

“For now, no. I’ll be glad if you don’t tell them.” Dahyun paused. “Chaeyoung-ah, please keep this as a secret, okay?”

 

Chaeyoung frowned. “But for how long?”

 

Dahyun sighed. “For the time being. But I promise, I will tell them sooner or later. Can you?” Chaeyoung could only sigh.

 

“Now, my little dongsaeng, how are you now?” Dahyun smiled. Chaeyoung replied with a smaller one.

 

[END OF FLASHBACK]

 

Chaeyoung looked down as she reminiscent the event yesterday. A small scoff escaped her tiny mouth.

 

‘After all this time, you still think me as your mere dongsaeng…’

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Woohoo!!! I'm back for now, but sadly I tell you that the next chapter will come out either next week or later. I'm not confirm yet because right now, I'm occupied with so many works and things to be settle. But don't worry, I will update for sure and continue to give you more heart attack!

Btw, should I include our SaTzu's little date or not? *wiggling eyebrows*

 

P/s: I'm all hype up upon hearing our girls' comeback!!! I'm sure SIGNAL will be their next hit! Yeah!