Xero to Hero

Talk

   Byungjoo didn't stay much longer that night from the need of time to think and process who Xero really was: he didn't expect such a scary reality that made him mute.

The morning came quick, sounding a populated group of birds chirping, and a far drum of cars racing along the main roads, despite no one being awake yet in the neighborhood. Byungjoo rested on his apartment's balcony, searching through the transparent orange clouds moving out of the sun's way with weak eyes from lack of sleep, but in deep thought. There was a warm, heavy breeze printing quiet goosebumps onto his skin, though he wasn't cold.

It wasn't that he didn't like Xero anymore, or was afraid of him, but rather questioned how to fix an innocent person who was apart of terrible things. How could he fix someone who was so torn up and broken that they pledged to never recover, instead of getting to understand the idea of recovery?
Byungjoo never knew Xero remained mute to punish himself, even though he never knew what else it could of meant other than someone having their vocal chords removed, but something inside of him wanted to fix Xero. He wanted to stop him from hating himself. To be there for him, because the only thing he ever needed was for someone to understand him, just like he himself once did.

 

   That afternoon Byungjoo made a return to Xero's house, giving a gentle knock on his front door. Xero answered quickly with a numb face, giving no attention to who was there.
"Can I... Come in?"
The boy looked up after hearing the familiar voice with wide eyes, letting him in, who sat in the living room and patted the seat next to him. Xero hesitated, but took his offer.
"I don't hate you..." He said quietly, linking his fingers around the boy's pinkie. "But I do want to help you."
Xero took his hand away, crossing his arms while looking for anything else to stare at other than Byungjoo.
"I know the only reason you're mute is because you don't know how to deal with what happened." Byungjoo grabbed his hand once more, locking it in his lap with both of his. "You remember how I told you I got taken away?"
He gradually shifted his head back to look at him, nodding.
"When I lived with my mom I always tried to lock myself in my room because I wanted to get away from her, even though it didn't really work because I was always forced out of my room." He laughed. "But if there was one thing I could say I was thankful for while living with her, it would be that she did force me out of my room, because everybody know's I was stubborn enough to hide in there for the rest of my life, and I probably would of never ended up the way I am now if I did, even if I still got adopted by the same family. I wouldn't of known how to socialize with the people who helped fix me. I would of just did what you're doing now. Turn it down."
The boy didn't respond.
"Like your parents." He squeezed his hand to get his attention. "You were mute when that thing happened right?"
He looked into his eyes with a growing fire, and Byungjoo could read them very well but continued anyways.
"You never actually apologized to them... And maybe if you did, it would give you the opening you really need... And them closure..."
Xero became stiff, then snatched a used piece of paper from the coffee table and wrote on its back:

It's been nine years.

Byungjoo took the paper and pen and replied:

From Xero to Hero.

Xero smiled at the note and began to lean closer to him, then stopped, questioning if it were okay or not. But Byungjoo had already stole his intentions, dipping into their second kiss for a taste, and another for enjoyment. Their lips filled the curves of one another like the flow of water, with a sweet 'chu' when they pulled away, looking to each other with lust and happiness. 

 

   The wind grew soft as they could hear the leaves flutter, giving off a scent of ground lavender and dandelions as they headed out for a walk.
"It's weird how I hate walking to the bus stop, but love walking just for the heck of it."
Xero chuckled, holding that same cherry-like smile that began to make Byungjoo's heart blush.
"So... Just out of curiosity... What do you think about writing an apology?"
He shrugged while tilting his head that merged into a nod.
"Have you thought about what you're going to say?" Byungjoo's voice softened.
Xero shrugged again, this time shaking his head with a sorrowful expression.
"Well don't rush it..." He ran his fingers down his arm, colliding their hands together.

A couple of minutes into their precious moments together turned into a hurry back home from a sudden downpour of rain. The two raced through Xero's front door, each trying to capture their breathes. Their clothes were soaked.
"You uh... Got an extra pair of clothes? I'm not walking home in that."

They laid in bed that night, staring at one another, with no desire to sleep despite how late it was getting, knowing they both had to work the next day. Xero cascaded his finger along Byungjoo's jawline, then pushed his hair out of his face.
"You don't have to be afraid..."
The boy kept running his fingers through Byungjoo's hair, listening to his quiet voice.
"I'll help you..."
He gave a tired blink with a sweet smile, pulling him into his arms and pressing their noses together.