Kasper Avenue

Talk

   "Xero!" Byungjoo called out, sprinting through his house.
Sanggyun gradually walked into the living room where Byungjoo had not bothered to look. The TV was on, but still no Xero. He studied the woman behind the screen:

"A man who appears to be six feet tall with dark hair is causing quite a commotion here on Kasper Avenue, standing at the ledge twenty-two feet above the water. This man was identified as Shin Jiho, the boy from the Jiho verses Shin case, where he was charged with involuntary manslaughter after the accidental death of his eleven year old younger brother. The man also was known for having a diary, where he would write to the 'Man over heavy waters,' who has yet to be identified. Ironically, twenty-four year old Jiho is attempting the same actions where that man had committed suicide. Authorities are doing everything in their power to bring a peaceful end to this horrific scene."

"Byungjoo!" Sanggyun called. "I found Xero!"
"Where!?" He hurried to the other, who pointed at the TV, which left both of their jaws open. "We gotta go!"
"B-Joo..." Sanggyun shook his head in a slow motion. "I don't think they'll let us near him."
"Well we gotta ing try! Come on!"

 

   Sanggyun sped through the streets with Byungjoo in the passenger seat, where neither of them had bothered to buckle up. He slammed on his brakes at the end of the traffic, steering his wheel in a circular motion to prevent his car from hitting anyone else's. They slammed the door behind them, pushing through countless of camera-men and microphones.
"I need both of you to step back, you cannot go on this scene." A police officer cut off their track of shoving the many people around them just as Xero came of sight.
"No! I know him! Get out of my ing way!" Byungjoo pushed the officer with all of his might, only to be picked up, stopping him from getting any closer. He struggled out of his grip, kicking his legs anywhere he could. "Xero! Don't do this! Please! It's me, Byungjoo!"
"Sir if you don't calm down we're going to have to tase you!" The man became angry as he fought with the boy.
"Xero! I'm begging you!" His voice cracked as he screamed as loud as his lungs would let him.
The officer went to pull out his tase gun as more police began to circle them, but Sanggyun had stopped him. "Wait! Give him a chance to talk to him! He know's what to do!"
Xero arched his head around for a quick glance at Byungjoo, then gazed back into the water from the railing.
"That's the first time he responded to anyone, let him in." An older lady commanded, and the officer let Byungjoo out of his hold. He didn't waste any time to run to him.
"Xero!"

Byungjoo wiped the tears from his eyes, hardly able to speak. "Xero look at me!" The boy shifted his contact back to him, analyzing the water in his eyes that had made his own lips tremble. "In that letter you gave me, when we had first met, you said the consequences are greater to that who witnesses it. I know you think nobody loves you but you're wrong. Xero, I love you!"
Xero shook his head, staring back into the water with stained cheeks.
Sanggyun asked the same lady that let Byungjoo through for him to as well. She nodded her head with her arms crossed, studying the scene.
"Xero!" Sanggyun called, jogging up to them, stationing himself next to Byungjoo. "I know we don't know each other that well, but this, ending your life, isn't the answer, and you know that... You only want to do this because you can't cope with all the bull crap running through your head, and you can, but you're not allowing anyone to help you. And Byungjoo is here to do that." The boy still kept his study into the water, but listened to every word Sanggyun said. "You think you're a ty person, and you think you don't deserve attention or help or guidance from anyone because of your past, but have you ever stopped to think that the people that came into your life, came to stop you from doing all of those things? Like now. You're sitting on the edge of a bridge twenty feet above deep waters and you know damn well that Byungjoo came for you because he cares for you, and you know what, so did I. Don't you think it's selfish to do this? You're putting Byungjoo through the exact same thing that happened to you. You wouldn't be helping anyone by bringing an end to your life, you'd only be making things worse." He shook his head as his tone grew angry. "You can attempt to jump off of this bridge, but I'm telling you right now it's not going to happen, because Byungjoo and me are standing behind you."
"Please..." Byungjoo whispered, never looking away from Xero. "Please just step back from the railing..."

In despite of a miracle, after a few moments of ponder, Xero stepped back from the ledge with Byungjoo and Sanggyun wrapping his arms around their shoulders, approaching the police.
"He needs to be admitted into a Psych Ward." The older lady said, guiding Xero into the hands of the police and redirected her attention to the two. "Thank you boys. You don't see many people stand up for someone like that these days." She patted their shoulders with a gentle smile, continuing to her force.

 

   "Xero..." Byungjoo peeked his head around the corner of the boy's room in the hospital he had stayed, where he lay in bed. He had never seen a brighter smile on Xero's face ever before. He ran up to him and hugged him with that of the most requisite love. "How are you feeling?"
The boy smiled as Byungjoo ran his fingers through his hair.
"You know I love your smile..."
He laughed, shaking his head.
"I'm serious," Byungjoo sat beside him. "I always have! I just... Didn't realize it until recently."
"Surprise!" Sanggyun shot through the door with his hands behind his back, startling Xero. "I brought you something." He handed him a brand new hard cover journal. "...To start over."
He looked at the journal and back to Sanggyun, then set it down in his lap, asking for a hug. Afterwards, he felt around the table beside him for a pen, then picked up the book once more, opening it to its first page:


May 8th, 2017

A new beginning.
Byungjoo and Sanggyun, I love them both. My dearest most prized possessions. I will make it in this world, no matter what, because I am no longer alone. But it took until now to understand that. I will fight this evil out of me.