One Last Thing

Talk

   Byungjoo had kept silent the next day at work. The only notion that came to him was a worry about his and Xero's relationship coming to a tragic end if he doesn't contact him soon.

"Hey man." That sharp, high-pitched voice ring in his ears. Sanggyun. Byungjoo was glad to hear that voice today. "You don't seem too well dude."
"I need to talk to you."
Sanggyun sniffled with a mild stare. "Break good?"
"Sure."
"Kay dude, we'll grab some food too."

 

   Sanggyun parked his car in the lot of a crowded fast-food with Byungjoo in the passenger seat, not bothering to order anything.
"So what's up?" The dynamics of his voice gentled, as he is usually loud and casual. There was a silence between them—Byungjoo tried to find an energy to motivate him to speak. "Dude, you know you can talk to me."
"I know..." Byungjoo sighed. "I just don't know what to say so I'll just say it. You know about that mute guy?"
"I've heard about him."
"Well you know... We've been building a friendship and he came over last night. And uh..." He scratched his head, struggling to say what had happened. "He kissed me."
"He kissed you?" Sanggyun made a puzzled face, holding back an urge to laugh.
"Come on Sanggyun, I need your help."
"No okay, okay. I get it, it's just." He gestured his hands in a linear motion. "I was not expecting that."
"Neither was I."
"So... What happened?"
"I don't know! I didn't respond and he just got up and left."
"So like... Are you gay?"
Byungjoo paused, looking away. "I don't know..."
Sanggyun noticed a tense feeling from him. "Look, I know I'm not the most... Serious person, but I'm not gonna make fun of you."
"Well I mean..." He glanced back to him. "I like him... I just don't know if I like like him."
"Yeah I mean that's cool." He mumbled.
"What?"
"You know... I honestly think you're just scared."
"What? What am I scared of?"
"I think you're scared." Sanggyun repeated himself as if it were common sense. "You've had a pretty crappy life dude. And now that you've finally got your junk in the trunk, doing good things for yourself, you're terrified of being judged, because every time anyone judges you, ty things start to happen."
Byungjoo didn't respond.
"Dude, you gotta quit thinking like that. I mean me, personally, I don't give a rats if you're gay or not. I don't care about anybody's decision to be gay. It's not going to change anything between us, and if it did, one of us was just being an ."
"You really think that?"
"Yeah man!"
"What do you think everyone else would say?"
Sanggyun paused. "Well... They're all kind of a douches. But I mean... They're older so... I just... Wouldn't tell them."
"Yeah..."
"Hey, dude, whatever makes you happy. It's all your choice."

 

   That afternoon Byungjoo followed his regular routine, stepping off of the bus and heading his way home, though, much to his surprise he found Xero eagerly waiting for him at the bench. He jumped at his sight, handing him a small note with a quick apology.
Byungjoo smiled, giving the note back to him. "You don't need to apologize."
The boy was shocked, questioning him to go on.
"Now... Now that I had time to think about it... I like you too." He shrugged.
Xero's face lit up brighter than the flames of a rocket capturing a stars attention.
"There's just one thing I need to know..."
He tilted his head.
"Why are you mute?"