Who

Talk

   There was a silent rain that accompanied the earth's grounds with glowing sun rays patterned in between each droplet from the sky, leaving a moist smell of soil to linger in the air, and a timid heat. Byungjoo walked across the street, avoiding the puddles that filled the dents of its surface to the bus stop, briefly taking note of the boy sitting with his elbows on his knees waiting on the bench the same time he always did. There was an awkward glare between them as Byungjoo relaxed himself for a comfortable resting, so he smiled at the dark haired boy to lighten the mood. He dropped his head with a laugh that had no vocal, shifting his gaze from the ground, back to Byungjoo, who laughed as well.

As they waited, Byungjoo noticed how quiet everything was: every now and then a car would pass by, not a single figure walked the sidewalks, and the multiple stationed buildings were not their usual noisy selves. It warmed his heart from the comfort it gave him, knowing today was not going to be an exhausting one. Soon enough, the screeching harmony of metal pierced through their ears as the bus had finally arrived. They both stood up, and the dark haired boy insisted that Byungjoo go first with a waving gesture, and a toothless smile as the doors opened. He didn't think anything of it other than a kind action as he walked up the steps, scrutinizing for seats with little company. After that, he paid no minds of the dark haired boy as he waited for his next stop.

 

   The sun began to hide behind the clouds as the rain grew heavy, forcing Byungjoo to run to his destination once he got off of the bus to prevent him from getting soaked. He entered a tall, archaic building covered in the wonders of superiority from its age. A faded white sign with red outlines painted itself above its entrance that read "Pippy's Mechanic's, a family business." Byungjoo was greeted by his grandfather who wore a dirty white tank top, and blue jeans as he spun the rims of a tire supported by a metal pole. They looked nothing alike due to the fact Byungjoo was adopted, which sometimes bothered him as customers would occasionally ask why he worked there if he wasn't related to anyone, but not enough to hurt him.

His grandfather handed him a clipboard, declaring him to start working on as many cars in the shop in the order they were listed after he had finished settling his things in his locker. He told him he would take care of anyone at the counter today, since business was slow. Byungjoo nodded as he took the clipboard, gazing through the list while flipping through the papers, and headed to the back of the building where many cars waited for repair. 

As he reached his location, he heard a deep voice echo from across the room. His uncle lifted himself from underneath an injured car.
"B-Joo, why don't you give me a hand?" He asked.
"No thanks, on break." Byungjoo replied, still wandering through the list while puffing his lips.
"I wish I could have break this early." His uncle laughed.
"Gotta earn the boss' respect." Byungjoo set down the clipboard on a near table, and sauntered over to the older man. "What do you need help with?"
"Well," He groaned as he struggled to stand up, then tapped on the hood of the car he was working on. "not this peice of junk. I need help with that babe over there." He pointed to a blue coated old fashioned Corvette with a white roof from the early nineties.
"Looks good to me."
"That's because I finished polishing it last night." They started to walk over to the beauty. "It has no engine yet. I need to find just one last piece, and we can lower her in."
Byungjoo flipped open the drivers door and plopped in its leather seat, feeling along the headboard with both hands. "Nice." He drew out the word with a grin plastered on his face as he examined the detail of the interior in awe. "She's beautiful!" He redirected his attention back to his uncle. "You need the choke valve, right?"
"Good guess!"
"You know I read somewhere you can use an automatic instead of a manual, wanna give that a go?"
"Well yeah, I got an automatic right here." The elder lifted the valve from the table he rested at, showing it to Byungjoo, then clicked it into the engine to its rightful place. "Come help me lift this."

After they finished lowering the engine, Byungjoo hurried over to the key book that hang on the wall, searching for a match to the vehicle they were working on, and jogged back over to the drivers seat, turning the key into the ignition. He gently the gas pedal, igniting the engine which responded with a rough 'vroom.' Byungjoo took the key out, shaking his head.
"No, no, no, no." He mumbled.
"Hey, try and move the gas pedal back and forth. Not too harsh." His uncle suggested.
Byungjoo fired the engine once more, motioning the pedal as his uncle told him. The engine eventually gave back a rich, smooth sound, okaying to drive. He jumped excitedly in the drivers seat after turning off the car.
"Yes! Now that's a nice sound!" He shut the door behind him as he strolled back to the elder.
"Whoever gets this car is sure gonna be a happy camper." His uncle stated.

 

   Despite a successful day at work, Byungjoo had a lot on his mind for reasons he didn't know when he got home, and he didn't like the feeling, so he set out to the damp night for a run. The street lights reflected on the neighborhoods pathway to lead visibility with the help of a few porch lights. There was a bench every few block or so bolted into the grass, which was good in case Byungjoo needed a break. It was a settle night except for a few dogs that would yelp at his shoes clapping against the ground.

Byungjoo came close to his lungs collapsing, and decided it was time for a breather until he noticed a shadowed figure laying on one of the benches just a few feet ahead. He forced himself to run a little further, curious if they were homeless or not.
"Hey." He slowed down, not yet getting a good look at the person until they lifted themselves up. It was the same dark haired boy from the bus stop he saw everyday. "You okay?" The boy nodded with little expression, and Byungjoo took a seat next to him drawing in heavy breathes of air. "What are you doing laying on the bench?"
He fondled with his fingers, avoiding eye contact with Byungjoo, then clapped his hands in his lap, leaning his head back with a nervous chuckle as if he were about to speak. Though, he shook his head instead.
"Uhm. Are you deaf or something?" The boy quickly looked at him in shock. "Well, I deal with a lot of deaf customers and learned they can read lips, but don't talk because they can't hear themselves. That's why I asked."
He nodded his head in understanding with a gradual blink of the eyes, then stood up smiling, and pointed out that he was going to go with a wave goodbye.
"Bye..." Byungjoo sat on the bench puzzled about him as the distance between them grew.
 



A/N: I don't know much about cars so don't listen to what I said haha. Also, I don't write very long chapters because my attention span is -12358958. Thanks for reading!