Temptations

Talk

   Neither Byungjoo or Sanggyun noticed the 'closed' sign at the entrance of their work the next day as the door was unlocked, like it always was. Instead, they walked in, carefree, with the same old ringing bell that would sound whenever an individual entered, ready to settle into their normal routines. Byungjoo flicked on the lights as Sanggyun strolled himself to the garage in the back of the building. He stopped midway and examined the lobby.
"Wait..."
"What?" Byungjoo asked, following up behind him.
"Why isn't there anyone here?"
"Don't know." He looked around. "Did you get any texts?"
"No."
"Missed calls?" The two of them double checked their phones, confirming that they hadn't received any word of the store being closed today. Byungjoo shrugged. "Then we work today, uncle Mano's probably in the back."
"Yeah."

They walked through the door that gave access to the garage after setting their belongings in their lockers of the employee room.
"Surprise!" Both of their eyes widened as they witnessed all of their co-workers clinging side by side with proud smiles on their faces.
"Uhhh... What?" Sanggyun managed to ask the only question that lingered through his mind.
Their grandpa stepped forward. "We saw the news."
Byungjoo rolled his eyes and let his shoulders down, figuring what this was all about, then nodded with a smile. "Right. That was on TV."
"We got both of you something." The elder titled his head, eyeing the floor nervously as being kind wasn't exactly his strength. He handed an envelope to Sanggyun and gripped his shoulder. "Son... I know there are times we don't see eye to eye, but, no matter what happens, I'll always love you kid. You'll always be my grandson no matter what." He turned to Byungjoo, repeating his gestures of Sanggyun to him with his other hand. "You too B-Joo. I always thought you were a knuckle-head, but you turned out to be a damn fine person. I'm lucky to have you as part of this family."
Sanggyun became squeamish to get out of his grip after a silent hug and repitition of the elder's words. "Okay that's enough of this cheesy crap." He patted down his jacket as if he were wiping off dust, looking back up to them, nodding, and biting his lip. "Man up boys." He traced his thumb along the opening of the envelope, tearing into the paper and gasped at what was inside. "A check for $3,000!?" He eyed his grandfather with concern. "Grampa, you can't afford to give me this."
"Nah, we all chipped in, and I'm not taking it back." He insisted. "You're getting your life together and you need that money more than I do." He looked to Byungjoo. "B-Joo, we didn't forget about you." He ran his hand along the kid's back, guiding him to a giant bulky instrument covered with a black cloth. His uncle pulled the cover away, revealing a used car that was repaired as if it were brand new from a dealership. Byungjoo's jaw dropped as he ran his fingers through his hair. 
"You're giving me a car!?" He looked to his grandpa. "But I don't have a license yet."
He laughed. "That's the only downfall. So you get your license, and this baby is all yours."

They all chattered and played as if they were at a carnival enjoying a variety of different foods and drinks, but something sat at the tip of Byungjoo's tongue that made his mind swallow itself every time he thought about it, and he knew had to tell his grandpa. He set his drink down after finishing a conversation with his uncle and tapped on the elders shoulder, gulping with a shaky voice. "Grampa..." He looked to him. "I need to talk to you... In private..."

 

   The chatter became muffled as they entered his office where he had shut the door behind them, switching on the lights. Byungjoo sat in his desk chair and the elder took the seat along the wall, which he normally never dared to do.
"Uhm..." He avoided eye contact with him.
"Well come on, spit it out."
Byungjoo sighed. "My... My mom called."
"Your mom?" He paused, frowning until he had realized what his grandson was talking about. "Your real mom?"
"Yeah..." He rolled his eyes around the room with a worried expression.
"And?"
"She wants me to visit her. In prison."
"She's in prison again!? For what?"
"I don't know. She didn't say."
"How'd she get your number?"
"I don't know."
The elder scoffed, rubbing his temples. "What do you wanna do?"
"Well... I mean... Out of curiosity I want to see her... But... I wouldn't do that without your permission. And it'd only be a one time thing."
There was a silence between them before his grandpa spoke again, this time with a more stern voice. "If you go, you take Sanggyun." He looked to him for a moment then continued. "I'll be honest with you. I don't like your mother. I hate your mother. And I want her to know that you've moved on."
Byungjoo nodded. "That's what I want her to know too."

 

   Byungjoo went to Xero's that night after washing up. They sat at the edge of his bed, where the boy played with his fingers.
"I probably won't be around next Tuesday." Byungjoo said.
Xero looked to him with concern, still playing with his hand.
"I'm gonna visit my mom in prison."
He stopped, looking to with other with a worry in his eyes, then shook his head.
"Why?"
He hurried for a piece of paper:

Prison visitation's are dangerous. Find out what she wants first.

Byungjoo read the note, raising a brow. "How are prison visitation's dangerous?"
Xero rolled his eyes and continued to write:

They're criminal's. Either she could plan to hurt you, or someone more dangerous in her unit who doesn't like her could use you to get to her.

He circled his eye's and laughed. "Nothing will happen. They can't get to me on the outside Xero."
The boy slapped his arm, giving him an angry look.

BYUNGJOO YOU IGNORANT FOOL! I WAS ONCE IN PRISON!!!
How'd they get your number idiot? They can easily call a hit on you! You can never be too careful about these sorts of things!

Byungjoo realized Xero was right. You really couldn't be too careful when it comes to entering a prison. "But... My grampa wants me to bring Sanggyun, I'd be putting him in danger."
Xero nodded.
"Maybe I just shouldn't go then."
He shook his head while waving his hand.

You can't do that, you already said you'd go, didn't you?

"Well I didn't say I'd go, I said I don't know."

Your biological mother has anger issues, she went to prison for carrying a weapon she wasn't supposed to. You don't stay in prison for 10yrs with that sort of crap. She's back in prison for another reason. She is a dangerous person.

"How do I get ahold of her then? What do I do!?" He got up from the bed, becoming frustrated. "God I wish I never got that ing call!"
Xero stood up to calm him down, sitting him back on the bed. He wrote once more:

Let me go. Alone.