The Hard Life of Satan

Day By Day [Drabble Dump]

Merry christmas/Happy holidays! Have some satan!youngjae. It's a fluff and not very serious

 


 

“Life is so boring.”

“My lord, should we go down to the torture pits? That usually cheers you up.”

Yoo Youngjae huffed and threw his head back. He was lying across his throne, head on the arm support and legs thrown over the other arm support.

“No.”

He could practically hear the frown on his trusted counsellor's face. “How long are you gonna be like this, Youngjae.” Junhong's voice was low, sounding disappointed.

“Until I die.”

“You're not gonna die. You're Satan.”

Youngjae made a loud ‘ugh’ sound. “Don’t remind me of my job.” He wished he could give the title of Satan to a new person, but there had been no demon ambitious enough to get the promotion. He knew choosing someone to lead after him was his most important job.

200 years ago he had been granted the title, and it was the highest honour he could ever receive. He had worked hard to get where he was, and the former Satan was now busy travelling and experiencing the world. Youngjae envied her. Being forever young, and Satan, was a curse and a blessing.

He still took his job seriously, but the novelty had worn off 50 years ago. Not even powerful demons grovelling at his feet, wanting to receive his favour, interested him anymore.

“I'm sure torturing a few murderers or rapists will cheer you up. Didn't you talk about a new method the other day?” Junhong was trying hard, and Youngjae appreciated it, but-

“I don't feel like it,” Youngjae mumbled.

“You can't just lie on your throne all day, it's not healthy.”

Youngjae just grumbled; he hadn't been allowed to lie on bed all day and watch Netflix either. Being Satan on days you feel down absolutely . Too many responsibilities and grovelling demons to placate with his presence.

“Can't I go to my bed?”

“You stayed in bed all of yesterday watching cheesy romance flicks. I'm not letting you torture yourself for another day.”

Self-torture. Youngjae sniffed. Well, it was better than Junhong finding out how he secretly loved those cheesy romance films, even the ones which objectively and had ty acting.

“I'll let you have a day like that only once a week, you have a job to do and appearances to make. You think the damned souls will fear you if you go MIA?”

Junhong was talking reason and Youngjae knew that, but he still sulked.

Another sigh sounded from his trusted counsellor. “Youngjae, I know you've been down in the blues for the past years, but I'm here and I'll help you. One day you'll retire and you can do whatever you want, okay? Just gotta get through the daily grind.”

“I know.” If Youngjae wasn't busy imitating a corpse, he would go and hug Junhong for being such a good friend.

“There's an incubus rumoured to be the most handsome man between heaven and hell, do you wish for me to call on him?”

“Meh.” Maybe 30 years ago Youngjae would have been thrilled about having men fighting to warm his bed, but he was tired of it. It's not like they liked him for who he was, they were either lusting for his incredibly beautiful looks or being seduced by his work title. He felt even worse now.

“Young-“

The double doors of the throne room opened with a bang. Youngjae didn't care to see who it was as the only people who would be allowed to enter were his inner circle, it could only be one out of three people.

“General Jongup,” Junhong spoke. “What brings you here?”

“I'm here with news that might cheer our lord up.”

Youngjae only sighed.

“My lord,” Jongup had walked closer. Youngjae turned his head and saw his general kneeling by the throne. Totally unnecessary when it was just them and they were friends, but he let Jongup do as he wished. “An angel has fallen.”

“Oh!” Junhong perked up. “You love terrorising newly fallen angels.”

That was true, but Youngjae didn't feel like it today.

He saw Junhong’s frown deepen as he received no response.

“My lord,” Jongup spoke again. “You'd be interested to know that it was Jung Daehyun who fell.”

Now Youngjae perked up and even repositioned himself, a fire in his eyes. “You mean that stupid angel who insulted me ten years ago?”

“Yes.”

“I wouldn't say he downright insulted you,” Junhong mumbled, but did not protest. His frown had disappeared

Youngjae's eyes narrowed; Jung Daehyun, a prodigy and fast rising star among the angel rank. Young, but would definitely become an archangel due to his rumoured kind and cheery nature, and his perfect moral compass.

Yet this head- angel, when he was barely even an adult, had come down to hell as one of the assistants of the liaison between their realms.

Upon Youngjae entering the room, looking mighty fine if he may add, the big mouthed angel had burst out “What? That's Satan? But he looks so small.”

Youngjae had wanted to murder him. Had imagined the many ways he could torture the angel, but had just gritted his teeth and glared at the rapidly blushing angel. The liaison, a very sensible woman, had been quick to apologise and promise that the angel would receive his due punishment for speaking out of terms.

Of course, Youngjae had gathered intel on the angel for future purposes, and had been shocked to learn just how quickly such an idiot could rise in the ranks. It was obvious Heaven was falling apart if their system rewarded people who couldn't even shut it.

For the years to come, Daehyun attended each meeting and had actually never spoken out of term again, but Youngjae still glared at him whenever he had the chance. It had grated him dearly to know the current liaison, an archangel, was grooming Daehyun to become the next liaison.

But now he was here, having fallen from grace and into Youngjae's hands. He felt revitalised.

“Junhong, fetch the outfit that makes me look like an ethereal god.”

“You mean the white outfit? The one that makes you look like an angel?”

“Yes of course I mean that one.”

“On it.”

Youngjae ignored the relieved look on his counsellor's face as he left the room in haste.

“Is Jung Daehyun still at Lucifer's Hole?” It was the name of the place all fallen angels landed.

“Yes I made sure no one can get in or out.”

“Great!”

Junhong had returned with the outfit and Youngjae hastily undressed, accepting the help of getting redressed.

“So why did he fall?”

Jongup finally got up. “All we know is that he fell for breaking the rules of love.”

“Interesting.” Youngjae could nearly feel his eyes twinkle in amusement. So the golden boy Jung Daehyun had fallen in love with someone he shouldn't have. Was it a demon or a human? Youngjae hoped it was a demon, then he could humiliate the man further. Now, his realm had no qualms about demons and angels being in love, they had a whole ‘love is love’ attitude, but the angels were a little more old-fashioned. At least the angels accepted same relationships now, so there had been some progress, but angels and demons ing? Instant fall right there.

Honestly he saw it as unfair and usually laid off from scaring the angels who had fallen for such a reason, but with Jung Daehyun he would make an exception.

“Junhong, can you find out who he is in love with?”

“Of course.”

“Good. Jongup, you can me to the hole.”

It wasn't a long trip, not with the power of teleportation. Youngjae could teleport himself, but Jongup had always been a little more steady at that particular skill. Sometimes Youngjae could land a little ungracefully and it could be quite embarrassing as the Lord of the Underworld.

Lucifer's Hole was, well, a huge hole in the ground from where Lucifer had impacted. The angels falling ever since had only led to the hole getting bigger and deeper.

In the dead centre sat a familiar man. Youngjae was a little disturbed to find that Daehyun only wore white pants. It was a little rude for the angels to not let someone have a Fall where they at least were fully dressed.

Daehyun stood up as soon as he noticed Youngjae, and Youngjae had to hold back a small gasp; Daehyun half was kind of hot. Tan skin, hints of a six pack, thick arms, and admittedly Youngjae had always known the man sported a ridiculously gorgeous face.

But he was not to be swayed. Youngjae lifted his head and summoned all of his lordly aura, gazing at the newly fallen angel and the big black wings.

“Jung Daehyun, you have fallen from grace,” he said, speaking in a stable and authoritative tone. “The Heavens cast you out for breaking their laws, for harbouring a forbidden love. Now you are under my rule, as your previous lord has abandoned you.”

Jung Daehyun said nothing, his mouth had slightly fallen open and his eyes looked a little hazy, but no other reaction. Was he even listening?

Youngjae felt a fire burn in him; this man, who was several hundred years younger than him, dared to not even listen as he spoke? He wanted to crush him, put his head on a stake, but-

“Bow before your new lord and pledge allegiance to me, or be cast into fiery pits where you will burn until you relent. If-“

Daehyun threw himself onto his knees. “I pledge to you,” he yelled out, eyes looking up at Youngjae with a fiery determination. “I pledge my body, soul, and my heart. You can do to me as you wish, torture me for decades, but please let me have a place by your side. Or beneath you. As long as I can see you every day.”

Wait what.

“I can't bear to be away from you any longer, my heart yearns for you.” Daehyun's eyes were oddly sincere, with some hint of desperateness.

Youngjae's mouth fell open.

“I think the love he was cast out for is the love he has for you,” Jongup whispered into his ear.

“Yeah thanks for stating the obvious,” Youngjae whispered back harshly.

What was he supposed to do now? He had plans on scaring the guy a little, make him think Youngjae would actually consider torturing him. Just a little psychological terror, then he would be all “it's just a prank bro” and he would laugh while the other person would cry in happiness and relief.

That's how it usually went, especially for angels who were very prejudiced against Hell and knew nothing of the rules they had. Youngjae would only actually physically torture s who deserved it.

Now he had someone pledging to him and handing him his heart, figuratively.

“Please, it is all I ask for. A place close to you where I can get my daily dose of your presence.”

Youngjae felt a slight burn in his chest, before a smile entered his lips; he had an idea.

-

“Youngjae, you need to get out of bed.”

Youngjae tried to ignore his brother, the one Junhong would go to whenever Youngjae was particularly stubborn. Yongguk stood in the doorway, hands on his hips and a frustrated look on his face. Youngjae pushed closer to the warmth behind him and got further wrapped up in the blanket, while his eyes didn't move away from the cheesy rom-com playing on his huge 4K television.

“Yoo Youngjae!”

“Shush,” he gave a small glare to his brother. “I'm not wallowing in self-pity, so why are you here?”

“You have a job! I accepted the first three days of you being in here because you finally looked a little happy and alive, but you still have a job to fulfil and Junhong is about to tear his hair out in frustration!”

“I promise I will tomorrow.”

“You'd better or I will drag you out by your hair.” Yongguk marched off and Youngjae allowed himself a smug smile.

The arms around him tightened, and the steady breath fanning against his ear was oddly comforting.

Staying in bed watching cheesy films was even better with a personal cuddler who never once complained because Daehyun was whipped for Youngjae and because he unashamedly loved romance films. Best of all? Daehyun would never tell a living soul about his embarrassing addiction to such films, because he wanted to be besides Youngjae for eternity. What a win win situation.

And, maybe later Youngjae would grant the man the permission to do more than just cuddle, but for now at least Youngjae had something to look forward to after a hard day's work.