Suddenly

Day By Day [Drabble Dump]

Suddenly – One Ok Rock
It had come out of nowhere, quite literally smacking Youngjae right in the face and knocking him over. A football. 

The world was spinning as he lay there, upon the grass staring up at the sky. Was this how dying felt like? Because everything hurt, yet it felt so tranquil.

“!” A shadow was cast over Youngjae. “Are you okay?”

Youngjae just blinked up at the sunkissed stranger, trying to muster a smile, but it took more concentration than he had at the moment. 

“Take him to the infirmary, Daehyun,” a new voice said. “You idiot.” 

The sunkissed stranger helped Youngjae back to his feet and together they walked to wherever the infirmary was. Still disoriented, but now he felt a little more himself. 

“I'm so sorry,” Daehyun said. “I didn't mean to hit you in the face.”

Youngjae gently shook his head, trying to put on a smile to convey it was all okay. It seemed to reassure him. 

“Here it is,” Daehyun said, standing in front of a door which he carefully pushed open with his foot. 
“Oh, what do we have here?” A nurse said.

“A ball hit his face.”

“Oh dear.” The nurse shook his head. “Come here, boy. Let me look at you.” 

Youngjae sat down on the chair as instructed, staring up at the nurse. The Daehyun guy was lingering by the doorway. 

“So, how is your head feeling? Describe it in detail.”

With a sheepish smile Youngjae began signing; he doubted the nurse knew sign language, but at least he'd get a gist.

“Oh.” The nurse's eyes lit up in understanding. “You're the new student aren't you? Wow, what a first day. I'll go get the principal. Daehyun, watch over him will you?”

Daehyun nodded and soon the door closed, leaving the two alone.

“Um.” Daehyun fiddled a little with his fingers. “I'm kind of rusty, but-” He then proceeded to sign an apology, for kicking the ball in his face.

Youngjae let out a soundless laughter and signed back, saying there was no need for Daehyun to sign. His hearing still worked perfectly.

“Yeah, but it's great practice,” Daehyun countered, signing a little slowly as he talked. “Come sit with me and my friends later? I'd love to talk to you more.”

Youngjae nodded; being friends with someone who knew how to sign would be amazing. It made taking a ball to his face worth it, if it meant meeting this guy.

Suddenly this new school seemed extremely alluring.