Chapter 17

The Most Beautiful Moment in Life

“You’re moving out?” You ask as you watch your roommate drag out her old dust covered suitcase that's probably been stuffed in the back of the closet since freshman year. 

 

“Yup, I found a job in Busan” Your roommate replies. “At first I was reluctant to accept it because I didn’t want to move so far away from Seoul, but they offered me a good salary” She explains.

 

“How are you going to keep up with Kpop events from now on?” You ask, half jokingly. Knowing that that was probably the one thing on the top of her mind when it came to moving out of Seoul. Being an avid fangirl, Seoul was definately the place to be when it came to getting close to idols. 

 

“That was also one of my concerns, but unfortunately being a Kpop fan requires you to have a lot of money, and I can’t do that without a job.” She says. “Plus my parents stopped financially supporting me now that I’ve graduated college.” She sighs, shaking her head. "Something about me being 'all grown up' now and need to find a job to make a living."

 

“And your dream of being a stylist?” You ask, raising an eyebrow. Remembering she had that plan ever since she entered college, as unrealistic as it was, you knew she wouldn't just easily give it up. 

 

“Oh, that very much still exists. It just has to be put on the back burner for now.” Your roommate sighs again, but smiling this time.

 

You laugh. “Well, I wish you the best of luck in all your future endeavors.”

 

“Thanks Minchan, I’ll miss you” Your roommate walks over and gives you a hug.

 

“I’ll miss you too,” You say, hugging her back.

 

 

 

 

 

“So that’s what Hua Yang Nian Hua means,” Jimin says, coming to realization during Chinese class. He looked very cute with his mouth making an "O" and nodding, still clearly in thought. 

 

It had been a week after your roommate moved out, and Chinese class in the evenings became a regular thing, so you decided to move into a studio apartment that was closer to BigHit because it didn't make sense to pay for a two bedroom apartment when only one person was going to be living there and you were too lazy to try and look for a new roommate, plus the proccess of meeting them/seeing if the two of you were compatible was too much of a hassel. It was better this way anyways because you wouldn't have to burden Jungkook or any of the other BTS members to take you home at night. 

 

“You never knew?” You ask surprised.

 

“I’ve explained it to him several times” RapMon says. “But it’s like whatever I say goes in one ear and out the other” He shakes his head.

 

“The golden years, or the best years of your life” Jungkook whispers, staring at the characters.

 

“Isn't it the same in Korean?” You ask.

 

“Yeah, but it’s translated from the Chinese characters.” RapMon says. “In Korean it’s just the pronunciation, but doesn’t mean much.”

 

You nod, realizing that RapMon seems to be teaching the lesson this time. Sometimes he was pretty goofy along with the rest of the members, but at times like these you remember that he has an IQ of 148 and composes a lot of BTS's songs. There's an air of intelligence when he speaks sometimes and he's really good at coming up with really philosopical explanations. 

 

“I think it’s quite sad,” JHope says.

 

“Why is that?” Jin asks.

 

“It’s like saying life goes downhill the older you get” JHope explains. “I just want to be young forever.”

 

“Fooorrevvver, we-“ V begins to sing, but is interrupted by Jungkook.

 

“Hyung, you should stop, it’s suffocating” Jungkook says. The rest of the hyungs laugh.

 

“He’s finally realized he’s going to get old one day,” Jin says.

 

“Says the one who is already old” Jungkook replies with a smirk.

 

“Hey, I’ve already come to terms with it. Doesn’t bother me anymore” Jin says, smiling happily, pretending like he's not bothered in the slightest. 

 

“To be honest guys, when I chose the name HYYH, I wasn’t defining the Most Beautiful Moment in Life” RapMon explains. “It’s different for everyone. For some, it could mean youth, but for others, it could be something else.”

 

“What else could it mean, hyung?” Jungkook asks, again paying close attention to what Rap Monster has to say. It was obvious that he really admired RapMon, and it was one of the main reasons he chose BigHit. 

 

“He’s still too young to realize that youth isn’t all there is to life” Jin sighs, shaking his head slightly.

 

“Whatever” Jungkook says. And the members laugh again.

 

 

 

 

You were walking home after having Chinese class that night, and everything was pretty much the same as always. The bustling district of Gangnam at night was something you had gotten used to quite quickly. You enter the quieter alley of your new studio apartment when you feel the strange sensation of someone following you.

 

You turn around but there’s no one there.

 

Then you hear footsteps getting closer.

 

“You’re Jung Minchan, aren’t you?” You hear someone sneer behind you.

 

“Who?” You turn around to see a girl dressing in all black with a black baseball cap over her head.

 

“Doesn’t matter, but I’m here to give you a warning” She says, with an air of disgust in her words.

 

The girl pulls out some photos from her backpack and throws them in your face.

 

They fall messily to the ground. You pick one up and are shocked to see that it’s a picture of you and Jungkook walking out at night. You pick up a second one and see that it’s you sitting on the back of his bike the day you and the BTS members went to the Han River. The last photo was a picture of you guys walking amongst the cherry blossoms.

 

A feeling of fear and anxiety slowly creeps up your spine.

 

“B-but, -hhow did you..?” You manage to whisper.

 

“Cut the crap, I know you’ve been all over our oppas” The girl spat. “I’ve come here to tell you that soon these pictures will be all over the Internet soon.”

 

“What? No please, don’t” You plead, you're trying to register everything that's happening, but it all seems like dream. This can't really be happening right now, can it? 

 

“Hmph, you think I’m just going to let you go easily?” She laughs hysterically.

 

“I’ll do anything. How much do you want?” You frantically ask, thoughts are still racing through your mind. You had never been in a situation like this, but you knew you had to be careful because a wrong move could collapse the whole building. 

 

The sasaeng continues to laugh. “You think what I want is money? HA! I don’t lack money.”

 

“Then what do you want. Please, just don’t do anything to hurt their careers like this” You nearly beg, when you start to imagine the chaos this could cause.

 

“Leave” She says, finally straight-faced again.

 

You take a minute to register what she was saying.

 

“Ok, I’ll leave BigHit if you don’t leak those pictures.” You finally say to the sasaeng, now was not the time to come up with a comprehensive plan anyways, but you're forced to go along with anything she requests at this point.

 

“Hmph, as if that takes away from the time you got to spend with them already” She spits at you, acting like she's changed her mind.

 

“I’ll never go near them again, please. You shouldn’t ruin your oppas’ careers because of some piece of trash like me.” You continue to beg, now turning to dowgrading yourself to reason with her. 

 

“Well, if you put it that way” She rolls her eyes. “I’ll give you three days to quietly tip toe out of their lives and never come back.” And with that, she flips her hair and walks away.

 

You breathe a sigh of relief. You wipe the sweat off your forehead and attempt to walk home. Geez, these fans are no joke. You think to yourself. No wonder the boys are so cautious. But what am I going to do now? You go over all the options you have and finally decide on the one you think is best. Of course in the end, reality wins and something like this was boud to happen, right? Good thing you had always doubted everything that's happened since that day at the concert because no story is ever perfect in real life. 

 

 

 

 

“Sungsaengnim” Jungkook says as he waves his hands in front of your face.

 

You were spacing out again, but this time you weren’t thinking about happy things or how the sun reflected off of Jungkook’s soft smooth skin. You were still thinking about what that sasaeng fan had said to you last night, her harsh words on replay in your mind.

 

Jungkook took a hand full of cherry blossoms and tossed them into the air. You looked up as they rained down on the two of you.

 

Because of the nice weather, taking walks and having conversations in English during them had become a regular thing to do for your one-on-one class with Jungkook. Although you wanted to tell him that manager probably wouldn’t be happy to know he wasn’t sitting at a desk with his textbook open, you decided that since this was the last time you would see him, you would do whatever he requested.

 

“I hope the weather stays this nice so we can always come here” Jungkook says, smelling the fresh air and facing the sun.

 

“Jungkook-ah, don’t forget you still have to work hard learning English” You say, trying not to think about who would teach him after you left. You hadn’t told him that this would be your last day; you didn’t want him to know about the sasaeng. All you wanted to do was protect him and BTS, and if it meant quietly leaving, then that’s what you were going to do.

 

“Of course” Jungkook says with a cheeky smile. “Have some faith in the great Jeon Jungkook” He says laughing.

 

You smile at his childish remark. You were going to miss this kid, and probably waay more than he was going to miss you. Waaay more than you should. You wondered if a star like him would remember a speck of dust like you. Probably not, but you had hoped that he would at least have the language skills you taught him.

 

Even as you watched him walk away, you held back your tears and waved at him with as genuine of a smile as you could manage.

 

He smiled back.

 

His smile that you came to know and love, that was so beautiful to the point that it hurt. You didn’t know why because you were supposed to have come to terms with leaving. It was for the best, so why did it hurt? It hurt because you knew that he could never be yours. It hurt because you knew you would never see him again.

 

 

Goodbye. Continue to shine brightly, noona will cheer you on from afar.

 

 

 

...

 

 

 

 

“World Tour?!” Jin shouts as RapMon announces the latest news the manager had told him to relay to the members.

 

“In a month” RapMon says.

 

“What is it this time? Wings Part 2?” Suga asks. His face still had that same bored expression.

 

“Actually it’s not,” RapMon says. “It’s a look back on our career so far. So kind of like ‘In the Most Beautiful Moment in Life you never fly alone with Wings’” He jokes.

 

“Wow, that was almost worst than my dad jokes” Jin comments.

 

The members laugh.

 

“In other news, manager also told me Minchan isn’t going to be our language teacher anymore.” RapMon announces.

 

“WHAT?!?!” Jungkook, V, and Jimin shout at the same time.

 

“If it’s because I always slack off in class, tell the manager it’s my fault and not hers” Jungkook says, walking toward RapMon.

 

“Relax, kiddo, manager said she found another job” Rap Monster explains.

 

“I’m just surprised noona didn’t even say good-bye” Jimin says.

 

 

 

 

 

 

.......