Episode 10

The Birthmark
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was my first day at college after my long holiday at home. I was about to go to library to meet Zen since the college was over and I needed to get to know about the lessons which I missed already.

“Jina!”

I stopped my feet from the closer voice I heard behind me. While waving her hand and with the friendly smile Mira was running to me.

“What brings you here?” I asked waiting till she caught my hands as always.

“I have something to request from you. I couldn’t mention about it on the day when I came to see you at home.” She said remembering her visit to see me at my house.

“What is it about Mira?” I asked smiley to her.

“Since you are already over for the day, let’s have a cup of coffee and chat”

Even though I had a need of going for my studies, as always, I was unable to say ‘no’ to her. We walked to the closer coffee shop and ordered two coffees. Seem to be I am getting familiar with coffee where as it was not a preferable of mine.

“Mira! You can tell me now. What is it?”

I said calmly looking at her. She was dressed with a beautiful short sleeve frock and loosen her hair where I didn’t want to ever compare herself with me.

“Jina! In fact, this is about it”

She handed me an envelope with requesting eyes. I opened it and found that it was an invitation for a get together.

“This is an invitation for a get together” I said curiously without a clue.

“Bingo” She smiled

“So….?” I was waiting for the explanation of her.

“There will be a college evening get together for the Ex-students which is organized by our batch in my College. It’s an open invitation for us where we can bring a partner with us. This invitation is about that”

I listened Curiously . Still I couldn’t guess what was it has gotten with me.

“O………...K………... Then?” I asked shortly expecting more from her.

“Actually, there is one of my closer friends who don’t have a partner. He doesn’t like to match up with college girls. You know… he is bit prickly for selecting girls but really friendly when he gets in touch with them.” She stopped and looked at me… Now it makes sense to me.

“So…...???” I murmured

“So……………!!!!” She murmured waiting for my answer.

“Don’t tell me that you are asking me to be paired up with him” I said widening my eyes.

“You are a quick catcher Jina” She caught my hand while smiling happily.

“Mira! No………...Please….” Knowing that I was not a party person and who always hide me from people, this was too much for me.

“Jina! Please… I can’t abandon him” She pleaded.

“How do you know he would agree to go there with me?” I asked curiously.

“He trusts in me. He will agree and I know how to make him agree. See! This is him, with the white T-shirt...” 

She showed a picture of a handsome boy in her phone where Mira and few other friends including the said person were there. Seem to be he is someone so tall and looks cool. There is another good-looking guy and another two girls around in the photo… The good-looking guy has lowered his head down so his face was not clear. 

    

“He is handsome, right?” she asked sensing that I was looking at him in the picture. With a bit of embarrassment, I straightened myself from the phone.

“What about you?” I asked then

“I told you, didn’t I? I have someone. I am coming with him”

“Mmm…...” I muttered

“Mira, in fact I am not familiar for parties. I don’t have single idea about what should I do in a party. And I don’t have good looks to match with that person” I said my true feelings.

“Jina” don’t worry. I will be there. And my friend is a good person. He will take care of you. Further, you have no idea how cute you are”

I sighed. I was tired to explain myself to her. She had her own ways to change others’ mind. Curse me for my weakness! Looking at her friendly face I was unable to say ‘no’ to her directly again.

“It will be held end of this month. Don’t worry, I will come to pick you. Now my next step is to inform about the partner to my friend”

“And one more thing. Do not tell about this to Zen. He is not a party person and he would blame me if he gets to know that I asked from you like this. Please, promise me…” She was like pleading. Though I felt something fishy with the request I agree with her smiling to her cute behaviors.

“OK. I promise” I said sipping my coffee looking at her wishful eyes.

“You will never regret, I Promise you too”

I tried myself to smile with her totally. Her words were encouraging me for attending it more than ever. But in my heart, I knew this is not going to be a good idea for some reason.

 

…………………………………………………….

 

Even though I was on my routine life style; going to college, study at library, come home, eat, sleep and wake, in every moment of my day I knew I was waiting for him to show up in front of me. I believed his promise. I believed that he would come to visit me as he said. Every night, I waited behind my window.

It has been passed my menstruation days already and I was still waiting for him. Today, I was again waiting behind my window step. Dad has gone for his night shift and I was alone at home. It was the second week after my sick period and still he has not come to me. Looking at the black cloudy sky, I felt my memories were waking up while thinking about him. The last moment I met him and the closer touch and feelings I felt with him has never forgotten in my memory so far. For no reason, I felt like crying…I felt that I need something which I never wanted to have.

However, I felt scared now. What is happening with me? Even though I was waiting for him, I knew by now that there was something strange which happened to me so far from the day I met him… I felt that I should avoid these feelings and concentrate on something. If not, I would end up touching and rubbing my birthmark at the end which I have controlled already.

My eyes caught the phone next to me. I grabbed it and went through the very short contact list of mine. I dialed his number. Yes! It was him who came to my mind to speak comfortable. I have not phoned him at this hour before, but I felt a comfort thinking to have a chat with him so I can mitigate my thoughts.

“Hello……Jina!” I heard his voice which was like a cool breeze to my ear.

“Zen! Are you sleeping?” I asked with a bit of hesitation.

“Who would wake up at this hour except you?” I was embarrassed with his words. I fell on silence at once. Calling him at this hour, have I made a mistake?

“Jina” He may have felt my silence.

“Yes!”

“I was kidding. I was not sleeping” He said. A winning smile came to my face.

“Then, what are you doing?”

“I………………I was watching people” his answer was bit odd for me.

“Watching people? Where are you?”

“Should I say I am on a top of a tree?” he said calmly but it made me laugh.

“Ha…haa….haaa…. Hope you are not a monkey boy….” I heard his laugh simultaneously to me.

“I love to watch others staying in higher place” He responded then.

“Really! Wow! You have a unique hobby” I heard he was smiling to phone.

“Jina! What are you doing without sleeping? And where are you now?” he asked. What should I say? After all he was my friend. He was my only closer friend whom I should share my things and feel the comfort.

“I……………I………………I am waiting for someone standing behind my window” I relieved my thoughts to him. Believe me! I felt the comfort I expected after releasing my words.

“Waiting for someone?” He questioned the same.

“Mmmmm”

“May I ask who is that someone?”

“He is someone who made me like this. He promised me that he would come to me if I wait… He was the one who gave me the ring which you see on my finger always… So……. I am waiting………still I am waiting………….” I murmured to phone while passing a comfort sigh to air. I knew he was listening to me…He was strictly silent.

“Zen! Are you there?”

“Yes, I am listening” he muttered.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter