Chapter 6: Stop and Stare

Time and Confusion

 

CHAPTER 6

Stop and Stare

(Song by One Republic)

 

Saturday |July 2, 2011| 10:00 PM

 

Intro music: Hilary Duff - Coming Clean

The Year of the Lord’s Favor

61 The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me,
    because the Lord has anointed me
    to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the broken hearted,
    to proclaim freedom for the captives
    and release from darkness for the prisoner
to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favour
    and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn,
3 and provide for those who grieve in Zion

 

to bestow on them a crown of beauty
    instead of ashes,
the oil of gladness
    instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
    instead of a spirit of despair.


They will be called oaks of righteousness,
    a planting of the Lord
    for the display of his splendour
.

Isaiah 61:1-3

 

Cheers and yells from all angles can be heard from everyone around; chanting one name “Upper Crust! Upper Crust!”

 

“Hey, remember when you said that the Upper Crust kids were just there for decadence? I think it’s more like hope and inspiration. You get the certain emotion from them. When they pick up their instruments, sing and perform their hearts out. They sort of make sense of your world.”, someone watching from backstage spoke to his two colleagues but referring towards the female they were with.

 

“Did I? Well you can’t exactly blame me. I’ve never seen anything like them since I started teaching; only in this Academy. I hated the hierarchy of high school; with kids getting bullied left and right by people at the top of the food chain. It’s ugly.”, the female retorted.

 

“But- if I did say that. Then I take it back. Kids in this generation...”, she continued.

 

“Funny, but they remind me of an old Bible excerpt... ‘The Year of the Lord’s favor’. ”, the third colleague who was with them suddenly spoke.

 

“What do you mean?”, the first one spoke again.

 

“If you’ll look around.. see those faces [points at the audience]. They stop and stare. You don’t just see admiration in their eyes. But you see freedom. It’s like for one day, everyone stops to enjoy the moment. Those kids with broken hearts, those kids with darkness in their eyes, those kids who mourn, are able to forget everything even if it’s just this one night. The Upper crust; this academy’s very own ‘oaks of righteousness’, exalting this school’s splendour.”, he explained to which his colleagues both nodded.

 

The year of the Upper Crust’s favour.”, the first one muttered.

 

 

------------------------------

SMA Freshman Concert

 

St. Martin’s Academy of Music and Arts holds a concert for welcoming freshman students every year at the end of the first month. This concert is one of the biggest events of the school; it starts off the year ahead.

 

The freshman concert marks the first project of the academy’s Student Council (SC). They arrange everything from the sponsors, MCs, to the stage decorations and set-up, to the theme, and the performances. The whole concert is free for anyone to join with the exception of the freshmen students. The performances are comprised of those from the performing arts clubs, those that pass the audition, and the most anticipated UC Juniors’ performance. 

 

The Upper Crust has this tradition where the Junior members are required to perform as an initiation to the group. Aside from that this also answers the request of the students for the UC to perform.

 

The benefits of the entire concert always go to charity alongside the donations and sponsorships of the school.


------------------------------

 

 

RECALL: One week ago.

 

Saturday |June 18, 2011| 10:00 AM

 

Busted - Year 3000

 

The UC Junior boys were gathered at Taemin’s place; the game room to be exact.

 

They were fixing the instruments (placing guitars on their cases and wrapping up the amplifier cords) because they’d just finished practicing for their band (Deathbed for Juliet) performance.

 

 “Guys, why are we practicing here anyway?”, Key asked even if he wasn’t part of the band.

 

“The Hyungs are using the studio.”, Aiden replied.

 

“You’re not even part of the band.”, Minho teased Key.

 

“Hmpf. I know, but I’m just concerned as well you know. Our reputation’s on the line. Besides I’m still part of the actual performance.”, Key shrugged.

 

“Just think of it this way Key. If we practice here, we’ll most likely lessen the risk of the others, especially the girls about finding out our performance.”, Onew explained.

 

“Besides, Taemin’s game room is as good as a music studio, ’cause it’s soundproof. And we’ll just have to move some things around and it’s as good as a dance studio.”, Henry adeed.

 

Arasso, arasso. If you guys say so... Uh, so what are we doing for our special performance?”, Key asked again.

 

“Why do we have to do this again?”, Taemin asked while messing his shaggy hair.

 

“You know why. It’s like our ‘initiation’ to the UC as the seniors said.”, Aiden turned to Taemin as he stood from the drum seat  not forgetting to emphasize the initiation part.

 

“[Sigh] It’s just so nerve-wrecking and pressuring.”, Taemin sighed.

 

“I know buddy... I know..”, Henry said, faking a cry while hugging Taemin.

 

“Yah! Stop it with your fake aegyo. It’s creepy and not at all cute.”, Minho turned to Henry then giving him a slap on the head which made the others laugh. Henry just stuck out his tongue at him.

 

“[Sigh] Hyung said we better bring it ‘cause you guys didn’t perform last year; only the girls (Luna, Nicole and Hara).”, Aiden remarked.

 

“[Sigh] We know. The Hyungs (boy UC Seniors) went all with their performance when we were freshmen.. and we just couldn’t do it without Key here.”, Onew recalled.

 

“So, what? We going for a song and dance number?”, Minho asked which earned nods from everyone.

 

“[Sigh] Augh! Aside from the band and our performance I also have to perform with Jong hyung... [Pouts]. Aaargh. Stress!”, Aiden cutely complained while pulling his hair, earning giggles from his friends.

 

“Aww..”, Key comments with a smile.

 

“There there buddy. You can do it. That’s why we’re already starting. So you also have time to practice for your other performances. Remember we also have the number for the music club.”, Onew reminded Aiden while ruffling his hair.

 

“Yah! Why is it when Aiden shows his aegyo. Y’all think it’s adorable.”, Henry acted hurt earning some tongues sticking out at him.

 

“Hey it’s not our fault you’re an ugly maknae.”, Minho said teasing Henry again.

 

 

The guys took a short break to eat some snacks. After their short break, they continued were they left off. They were just sitting down over the couches of the game room, with Henry and Aiden on the floor.

 

 “How ‘bout we perform Shinee’s songs. Their music’s not bad and their steps are definitely complicated, which makes it awesome to perform!”, Henry exclaimed very satisfied with his suggestion.

 

“Hmm. That’s not a bad idea. And with Taeminnie here, the choreography won’t be a problem.”, Onew said turning to Taemin as he spoke.

 

“So what songs are we familiar with? Or better yet, what songs are you familiar with Minnie? So we won’t have trouble finding out the choreography anymore.”, Key spoke as he looked at Taemin sitting beside him.

 

“I’m actually familiar with most of their songs Hyungs.”, Taemin said with a smile.

 

“Great! So what songs do we use? I think three songs are already enough.”, Minho spoke.

 

“I think we should do ‘Replay’. The Noonas will go crazy for that. Right hyung?”, Henry asked earning a high five from Minho and shrugs from the others.

 

“I think it’s better if we start with a slow song, then just progressing as the performance goes, at least to give it an act of surprise and some drama.”, Key said.

 

 

Saturday |June 18, 2011| 10:00 AM-> Same time

 

Rihanna - Disturbia

 

Over at Suzy’s place; the UC junior girls we’re gathered around her room.

 

“So what are we going to perform? We can’t let those guys beat us!”, Sulli exclaimed.

 

“Yeah. I know. Luna, Hara and Nicole unnie beat the guys last year when Onew and Minho hyung we’re too chicken to perform by themselves.”, Suzy joined.

 

“They always tease Key oppa about him being a diva but when he got sick during the concert they can’t even go without him.”, Hyuna said with a smirk.

 

“That’s just the way it is. Guys are all talk and no play.”, Suzy said while sitting beside Hyuna.

 

“Don’t hate me alright? I understand that we need to win again. But I’m so excited about the guys performance, especially Aiden’s.”, Jiyoung said with a smile while lying down in Suzy’s bed.

 

“Me too actually. I hope they do something y.”, Hyuna said while laying down beside Jiyoung but earning a pillow from the latter.

 

“Yah! Whose team are you! I know you’re exited to see the guys, I’m also excited to see Tae’s moves. But cincha! We need to crush them. [pouts]”, Sulli exclaimed again joining Hyuna and Jiyoung on the bed.

 

“I’m all for crushing those dweebs. So get up you lazy bums! Get off my bed and let’s start practicing.”, Suzy said with a smile deemed to intimidate the guys if they see her.

 

 

Saturday |June 18, 2011| 10:00 AM-> Same time

 

Bowling for Soup - Punk Rock 101

 

The male UC seniors were over at Jonghyun and Aiden’s place playing bowling and taking a break after they practiced for their band (Hysteria) performance.

 

 “Why are here anyway? Aiden might hear us.”, Taecyeon said as he stood up for his turn.

 

“Don’t worry. He’s gone. He went over at Taemin’s to practice. I made sure he left first before we started practicing. Besides, he knows I already got dibs on the studio. “, Jonghyun replied.

 

“So what else are we doing again?”, Chansung asked them.

 

“We’re planning on surprising everyone, especially the juniors with another performance.”, Nichkhun explained.

 

“Hyungs, didn’t we just perform two years ago for our initiation?”, Kyuhyun asked.

 

“We know, but think of it as just increasing our popularity even more.”, Taecyeon remarked.

 

“And this way we can increase the number of concert goers.”, Jonghyun added.

 

“It’s not just that though, we’ll also be able to please the girls and at the same time be fair to our juniors. The profit goes to charity anyway, so might as well make this year’s concert a hit for our last year as SC officers.”, Nichkhun explained while standing up for his turn, before grabbing a bowling ball.

 

“Ah. I see your point Hyungs.”, Kyuhun replied.

 

“Right Kyunnie.”, Taecyeon added earning a glare from their maknae for the nickname.

 

“So how about you and Aiden’s perf Jong?”, Chansung asked.

 

“I’ll just talk to him later.”, Jonghyun replied.

 

Part of the UC’s tradition was also a special performance from siblings that are both members.

 

 

Saturday |June 18, 2011| 10:00 AM-> Same time

 

Kesha - We R Who We R

 

The UC senior girls were also planning for their special performance; they were gathered at Tiffany’s place. They were all comfortably sitting in her living room.

 

“So girls, I texted you all today cause we’re also going to perform on the FM concert.”, Victoria the leader announced.

 

“Say what unnie?!”, Nicole was shocked while Hara accidentally spit out the juice she was drinking.

 

“But we already performed last year unnies!”, Luna complained as she remembered their performance last year of T-ara’s Bo Peep and SNSD’s Gee.

 

“We know. But just think of this as our gift to our juniors and to everyone in school. The guys (seniors) are also up for it.”, Tiffany joined in.

 

“Well actually this will benefit everyone, not only will the student body be pleased in seeing us perform. We’ll also be able to increase the number of attending people that will watch the concert; thus also increasing the earnings of the concert.”, Seohyun elaborated.

 

“Right you are Hyunnie!”, Yoona said, placing an arm over Seohyun’s shoulders.

 

“Uh, just a question though.. You guys mind telling me all about this performance you’re talking about? Am I.. am I performing with you guys?”, Krystal said joining in their conversation.

 

The girls smiled at each other; then turned to Krystal.

 

Nicole goes to where Krystal was sitting and pats her shoulder saying, “Oh couz, just think it as your initiation to our group, not that you aren’t a part of it yet. Let’s just say, this performance will officially declare you as part of our group.”

 

The girls continued explaining to Krystal more about the concert as well as their group’s legacy; the Upper Crust.

 

 

Wednesday |June 22, 2011| 3:50 PM

 

Fall Out Boy - A Little Less Sixteen Candles, A Little More Touch Me

 

The rest of the week was spent with the UC busy practicing for their performances. Most especially the UC seniors who were all part of the student council; Krystal was also helping them organize the event. All of them were too occupied in preparing for the concert; they don’t even notice that they barely hung out with each other anymore.

 

It was now time for the club period. Today was the week for officially signing in for the club students would like to be a part of. Last week was just club orientations.

 

Over at the Music club.

 

musicroomband.jpg

 

The music club professors decided to hold the music club at the band room. The music club is usually divided into two sections: the glee club and the band club. The three professors in charge for this club were Jaya Ramsey and Gary Valenciano for the glee club, and Keith Turner for the band club.

 

[Refer to aff Chapter 12: Extra SMA faculty and staff]

 

“So is everyone here? Welcome to the music club. As some of you may already know I’m Prof. Jaya Ramsey. I teach 9th grade Performing Arts (PA) which is Voice Ensemble.”, introduced the first professor.

 

“I’m Prof. Gary Valenciano, I also teach 9th grade PA. As some of the students I’ve already taught they call me Prof. V ‘cause I think my names too long for you guys. Prof. Ramsey and I will be handling the glee club.”, the second professor introduced attempting to make a few laughs.

 

“Keith Turner, I teach 10th grade PA (Performing Arts); the Instrumental Ensemble as well as the Music and Theory Composition Elective. I’ll be the one handling the band club.”, spoke the last professor who was previously sitting on the table at the centre of the room.

 

“As you all know, this club is divided into two sections glee and band club. As of last week we had 31 students who attended the orientation and as of last week all those who attended have already finalized their membership.”, Prof. Ramsey enumerated.

 

“So before we start, we’ll have the attendance to confirm if any students decided to back out or if any new ones decided to join. Raise your hand as your name is called.”, Prof. V instructed.

 

After the attendance was called, Prof. Turner noticed that one student was not called. So he spoke to get the attention of everyone, “You there, at the back. I believe you weren’t called.”

 

Everyone focused their attention on the student sitting at the last row on corner of the room near the door.

 

It was Krystal. Everyone stared at her as she stood with complete poise saying, “Yes Prof. Turner. If there are still available slots, I would like to join.”

 

Aiden in particular couldn’t believe what he was hearing. He thought that she didn’t have any interest to join because she didn’t attend the orientation last week. She attended the drama club along with the other UC seniors.

 

“Of course! There’s always room for more. We here at the music club are very selfish. We need all the students we can get.”, Prof. Ramsey said earning laughs from students.

 

“Your name is?”, Prof. V asked planning to add her name down the attendance sheet.

 

“Krystal... Krystal Jung.”, she answered with her head down.

 

“All right. Now if you don’t mind dear. Please come and sit a little closer, we don’t want you sitting on the corner all by yourself.”, Prof. Ramsey requested to which Krystal immediately followed.

 

Krystal sat beside her friends after Luna enthusiastically waved and pointed at the chair beside her which is also the chair at the back of Seohyun’s seat. She gave Aiden quick smile barely noticeable by anyone, but he still saw it.

 

“Yey! So you decided to join the music club after all unnie!”, Luna said after Krystal immediately sat down.

 

------------------------------

UC sitting position:

 

1st row: Seohyun, Kyuhyun, Nichkhun, Henry

2nd row: Krystal, Luna, Onew, Aiden

------------------------------

 

“Yeah [smiles].. Wait, what are you and Seohyun doing here? I thought you guys were part of the drama club.”, Krystal asked.

 

“Oh, we used to. But we can still participate and audition for some roles if the music club schedule allows us. Students are actually permitted to join multiple clubs to expand their horizons.”, Seohyun explained.

 

Krystal just nodded at Seohyun’s serious remark, while the others just laughed at her serious demeanour which they were already used to.

 

“Neh unnie. It’s really fun. I hope you also join the drama club. I’m also part of the dance club you know.”, Luna boasted.

 

Onew was about to join in when Kyuhyun asked them politely to concentrate in front because their teachers were starting to notice their small chattering.

 

The professors in front were still briefing the students about music club and reminding them of their previous meeting.

 

“Since this is our first official meeting of the year and we have everyone (glee and band club members) gathered in one place why don’t we have a small showcase?”, Prof. V said.

 

“If you guys remember, last week we gave you an assignment to prepare a short performance of 1-2 minutes of your talents or the instrument of your choice. It can be an individual, duet, or even a group performance. But since Ms. Jung wasn’t here last time, she’s excused from the showcase.”, Prof. Ramsey followed.

 

“What? That’s non-sense. Most artists sing best in their encore performances; it gives ‘em the adrenaline they need. I’m sure after everyone has performed she’d be ready for her own.”, Prof. Turner interrupted in a nice manner only to sound intimidating.

 

“Well, can you do it Ms. Jung?”, Prof. V turned to her.

 

Krystal thought about it for a second. She was still nervous about her decision in joining, what more to perform? She hesitated for a while until she saw Aiden peeking over her right, giving her a small smile. Maybe it was the push she needed to gain some confidence; someone believing in her.

 

Knowing that Aiden believed in her.

 

Neh. I think I can.”. she answered, still a bit unsure.

 

“So who wants to volunteer?”, Prof. Turner asked.

 

Luna instantly raised her hands, muttering “Better to get this over quickly.”

 

She breathed deeply before belting out Pink’s Perfect, accompanied by Onew.

 

Cathy Nguyen Ft. Jason Chen - Perfect (Pink cover)

 

Everyone was awed with Luna’s powerful voice and Onew’s strong but gentle interpretation. Their timing was spot on.

 

Seohyun and Kyuhyun followed with their version of Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore’s Way Back into Love; with Seohyun playing the piano.

 

SNSD Seohyun and Super Junior Kyuhyun - Way Back Into Love (Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore cover)

 

“Wow, now that’s what I call a real duet. Are you to an item or something?”, Prof. Ramsey commented feeling the deep connection between the two only to earn deep blushes from the two performers and cheers from their classmates.

 

Since they noticed their friends we’re already done, Henry looked at Nichkhun and Aiden to confirm. When they gave him the nod, Henry raised his hand to volunteer for their own (group) performance.

 

They played B.o.b Ft. Haley William’s Airplanes. Aiden played the guitar, Henry on the piano while Nichkhun played the violin. Henry sang the chorus while Aiden sang the parts requiring the rap.

 

Boyce Avenue Ft. DeStorm – Airplanes (B.o.b. Ft. Haley Williams cover)

[Refer to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZSx9ZOMgV8&list=SPB0A54526DAB9CF4E&index=4&feature=plpp_video]

 

They we’re given the chance to finish the whole song like their friends because they we’re in a group.  

 

Just like their fellow UC, cheers, applause and praises from their schoolmates and teachers we’re heard after their performance.

 

“Very nice cover; the singing as well as playing by acoustic gave it a new tune. And I must say, the contrast of the violin did nothing to damage the simplicity of the acoustic set; it even gave it that spunk.”, Prof. Turner commented.

 

“You’re rapping has really improved. Nice work Aiden.”, Prof. V praised.

 

Krystal couldn’t help but bow her head down as Aiden passed by to take a seat. She couldn’t recognize how she was feeling; somehow her body felt warm. All she could think of was how suave and handsome Aiden looked like as he was playing his guitar especially when he started rapping. She could feel her heart beat following his perfect rhythm. What more was, she got a hold of his scent when he walked in front of her; his scent that made her remember their first night together.

 

Good thing everyone’s attention were focused on the next student performing or they would’ve noticed her very flushed face. Because of that she was also able to distract herself and calm herself down; or did she?

 

Suddenly Jiyoung came into mind. She needed to stop her thoughts about him; Aiden was already taken.

 

Krystal was now pondering whether it was a mistake to even think of letting him in. She was starting a new life; forgetting the past and living in the present with her family. Being close to Aiden would only cause her trouble if she doesn’t keep her emotions in check.

 

FLASHBACK:

Jonghyun was one of the reasons why she didn’t want to leave the States back then. She thought of her friends being more important, and the familiar environment she grew up in. But after a year of not having to see Taemin and her parents, along with Jessica entering college, she found out how hard it was until it was too late.

 

“Krys… I… I love you… not as a friend… but as something more…”, Jonghyun stuttered as he confessed his feelings for his best friend.

 

“Jong..”, she tried to speak, but she couldn’t.

 

“Fate brought us together... Then we became friends... it was our choice… my own choice... But I soon realize that I had no control over falling for you… [Sigh] I kept trying to show you.. Maybe somehow you’d notice the way I act around you... or the way I look at you and not anybody else.. Maybe somehow you’d wonder why I kept rejecting those other girls... [Sigh] Now I’m telling you...”

 

“Krys... Do you… Do you think I have a chance with you?”, he continued.

 

“Jong... I-”, Krystal was very confused. She was still dealing with her family issues. It was Jonghyun who was always there for her. She was never good in dealing with her emotions.

 

Everything was happening too fast.

 

“I-I know you’re dealing with a lot of stuff right now. And what you need the most is someone to be there for you, like a friend... but I can be another someone (boy friend) if you’ll let me Krys...”, Jonghyun explained his eyes not leaving Krystal’s.

 

“I- I don’t know what to say... Jong.. You’re my best friend... you’ll always b-“, Krystal was interrupted when Jonghyun slowly started to walk away from her.

 

“Jong! Where’re you going?”, Krystal asked right when Jonghyun grabbed the door.

 

“I can’t face you right now Krys... It’s... too painful... I thought I’d give it a try... you know... just so I wouldn’t have any regrets... I was stupid... to think that nothing’s going to change between us... that we can still be friends after this... I can’t... I’m sorry... I need some time...”, Jonghyun said, tears already streaming down his eyes.

 

“Jong.. Don’t leave.. Please...”, Krystal’s eyes were now tearing as well.

 

“Krys.. I’m sorry... I need some time to think...”, Jonghyun said as he made his way out of Krystal’s room.

 

“Don’t go... I...”, Krystal chased after Jonghyun, giving him a back hug.

 

“I-I... I... love... you...”, Krystal forced the words to come out of . But it came out as whispers.

 

“W-what?”, Jonghyun slowly faced her, but she had her head bowed down.

 

“I.. I... love... y-you too...”, Krystal stuttered.

 

Jonghyun gave her a sudden embrace. He was full of bliss.

 

I love you too Jong... as a friend...

 

But I don’t wanna loose you... I-I need someone to help me get through this...

 

Maybe... maybe in the end... I’ll also learn to love like you do.

 

 

Nobody could blame her. Being naive at that age was pretty normal. But sometimes the consequences of her actions only took her further away from herself; away from the truth.

 

 

A different FLASHBACK:

“I can’t believe we actually did it.” Jonghyun said panting.

 

Both of them had just entered high school, but that wasn’t the only thing Jonghyun and Krystal had experienced for the first time- it was .

 

“I love you.”, Jonghyun spoke.

 

“I love you too.”, Krystal replied too easily; though her body was sour, she must admit that it felt good.

 

She was now used to saying that she loves him; too comfortable to notice that it was not the same kind of love he was giving her.

 

But Jonghyun was her best friend; her only confidant. She was used to him being the only person there for her in helping her manage everything. They became best friends during their fifth grade. Unknown to Krystal that he was already ‘courting’ her on the sixth grade. When he finally had the guts to confess, Krystal was too afraid to lose him that she allowed them to become boyfriend-girlfriend.

 

She gave him everything.

 

Somehow, the pain she’s feeling from her family gets numbed by her own feelings towards her best friend. She was numbed from being lost. All she knows was that with Jonghyun there for her she’s able to stand up; to cope, but not really deal.

 

[END OF FLASHBACK]

 

 

Back then Krystal was unaware of that.

 

Unaware that you should love when you are ready; not when you’re lonely.

 

But meeting Aiden did; seeing him that night, pushed her to do the unthinkable.

 

 

For now, her mind keeps telling her that she doesn't want to be in love; but unconsciously, she is, hard.

 

 

Wednesday |June 22, 2011| 4:40 PM

 

Remembering her past gives an ache to her heart knowing how she gave him everything, only to be left alone in the end.

 

Whoever said that forgetting was a one-time thing? [Sigh] You constantly have to do it every day.

 

Krystal said to herself as she pondered back to her past.

 

I guess starting over’s not as easy as it sounds. [Sigh]

 

Good thing I have my family with me...

 

Thinking about her family made her remember her sister.

 

I wonder how you’re doing out there Jess. [Sigh] I’m sure you are. You were always the strong one.

 

Krystal’s thoughts we’re interrupted when Luna turned to her. It turns out that it was now her turn to perform.

 

“Krystal unnie... It’s your turn.”, Luna said as she tapped Krystal’s lap.

 

“Are you ready Ms. Jung?”, one of the professors asked her. It took her a while to stand up, not knowing her friends especially Aiden were staring to worry for her.

 

But Krystal stood up, passing by her friends who expressed their good lucks, though she didn’t bother turning to Aiden not seeing his smile.

 

She walked to the centre holding her head up high and exalting utmost radiance; but surprising everyone except Aiden when she sat down behind the grand piano.

 

 

Playing the introduction of the piece made everyone watching not want to lose their focus on her, even though her beauty alone was enough to catch everyone’s attention.

 

Sia - Breathe Me

 

Krystal took a deep breath before finally singing.

 

Help, I have done it again 
I have been here many times before 
Hurt myself again today
And, the worst part is there's no-one else to blame 

 

Aiden couldn’t help but stare at her in awe.


Be my friend 
Hold me, wrap me up 
Unfold me 
I am small 
I'm needy 
Warm me up 
And breathe me 

 

She kept her eyes down as she continued playing the song, but after singing the first chorus her gaze unconsciously went to Aiden; catching each other’s eye.


Ouch I have lost myself again 
Lost myself and I am nowhere to be found
Yeah I think that I might break 
I've lost myself again and I feel unsafe

 

She sang that particular part (2nd verse) with most passion that it gave everyone watching chills.

 

Aiden was now holding his hand close to his chest.


Be my friend 
Hold me, wrap me up 
Unfold me 
I am small 
I'm needy 
Warm me up 
And breathe me 

 

It just kept pounding.


Be my friend 
Hold me, wrap me up 
Unfold me 
I am small 
I'm needy 
Warm me up 
And breathe me

 

Both of their hearts kept on pounding.

 

 

“Good job Ms. Jung!”, Prof. V exclaimed still in awe with everyone following him and giving her a standing ovation; not caring even if she exceeded the designated time limit and not that they noticed anyway.

 

Everybody was beyond amazed for her talents; in athletics and in music.

 

“My my! Our first standing ovation of the year!”, Prof. Ramsey praised. They we’re quite astonished with her passion and emotion in playing the song. Although, the piece was easy, her gratification towards the song made them feel like they were already watching her concert.

 

 

Wednesday |June 22, 2011| 4:50 PM

 

Since Krystal was the last one, their professors made some last minute reminders before finally dismissing them.

 

“Congrats Krystal. You did it!”, Nichkhun said in praise and relief once Krystal went to them.

 

“To be honest, we all thought you might not be prepared enough.”, Khyuhyun said while helping Seohyun with her things.

 

“Yeah Noona. But you totally rock!”, Henry cheered as he was also getting ready to leave.

 

“Nice job young lady.”, Prof. Turner said as he passed by their group going towards the door to leave.

 

Krystal just gave him a bow and a smile in return. She was met with Aiden’s stare when she straightened back up.

 

aidenmusicroom.jpg

 

[Aiden wasn’t wearing the school’s blue blazer anymore, it was already permitted since class hours were over. It was now club period. He was wearing a yellow and gray sweater over his white polo.]

 

 

No words were said between them, but their eyes were enough to convey what they were feeling.

 

I knew you could do it.

 

Aiden conveyed with his eyes; meanwhile, she just turned towards him and gave him a smile.

 

 

Aiden and Henry made their way out of the room first with Henry saying goodbye for the both of them.

They were followed by Kyuhyun and Nichkhun who also had practice as well as he girls for the FM concert.

 

 

On their way to meet the other UC senior girls at the SU building, Krystal couldn’t contain the happiness she was feeling after her performance. She couldn’t believe what she did. It was very random; she just went with her gut and what she felt at that moment when she chose the song.

 

It was the first time she sung and performed in public. She had never been interested with that kind of attention. But somehow it felt good that she was able to make others happy.

 

Deep down she knew it was all because of a certain someone. The person who gave her the push she needed; the encouragement she needed.

 

The heart and soul she needed.

 

 

Saturday |June 25, 2011| 9:30 AM

 

The rest of the week was spent with the UC focusing on their performance for the FM concert as well as their studies.

 

With their hectic schedule and practice, they all decided to go out and meet up for lunch at the mall to catch up on what’s happening with each other.

 

But it wasn’t the only reason why they were at the mall.

 

------------------------------

UC Traditional Hairstyle Change

 

What started out as just a normal regular habit for everyone, having a yearly haircut or change in hairstyle, became a hot topic for non-UC students. The previous UC members were used to getting their haircuts together; just like normal teens with their friends as a way of bonding.

 

However, students from the school started to make a big deal whenever the current members change their looks. Since they all do it at the same time; it made the other students think that they do it every year as tradition like other UC traditions (UC Juniors’ performance initiation, UC special Valentines performance, etc.).

------------------------------

 

At the beauty salon.

 

Bayside - Beautiful Girls (Sean Kingston cover)

 

“Hmm, I wonder what our juniors prepared.”, Tiffany said out loud, sitting comfortably in the salon chair as she’s getting her manicure.

 

“I’m sure it’ll be good. It’s just nerve-wracking ‘cause of the pressure.”, Nicole stated sitting beside Tiffany.

 

“Yeah. It still gives me the chills every time I think about it; just us three (Hara, Nicole and Luna) in front of hundreds of students.”, Hara said from the other side of the room while her hair was getting washed, remembering her stage fright.

 

“Speaking of you three, where the heck is Luna?”, Yoona asked also getting a manicure.

 

“Well, when I called her this morning she mentioned something about her ‘lovely’ newly blonde hair and how she wants to stick with it.”, Nicole said giggling while emphasizing a particular word making the others laugh about.

 

“That kid can be such a drama queen sometimes.”, Tiffany scoffed.

 

“Speak for yourself unnie.”, Seohyun commented making the others laugh out loud due to her rare ‘teasing-her-unnies’ moment.

 

“Yah! Seo Juhyun!”, Tiffany complained earning more laughter from the others. Even Krystal was laughing.

 

“Well, suits herself. Luna’s missing out on our tradition.”, Yoona spoke.

 

“Is this really one of your traditions? Yearly hairstyle changes?”, Krystal who was curious asked.

 

Anni (No).. Well, uh. I’m not sure. But it sorta our own prerogative. But with the student body getting used to us having new hairstyles yearly; it sorta became their habit to expect it every year.”, Tiffany explained.

 

“Hey Krys.. You don’t have to do it you know.”, Victoria said while giving Krystal a warm smile.

 

“It’s fine. I’ve been wanting to make some changes since I got here. So I guess I could start with my hair.”, Krystal replied with a smile.

 

Victoria sensed that Krystal was implying more but she didn’t bother asking about it and just thought, “I’ll just be here Krys if you need somebody to talk to.

 

“All right. That’s good... Hmm... Where’s Gyuri anyway?”, Victoria said.

 

Just then they heard the door of the salon opening and quick footsteps going their way.

 

“Sorry we’re late. I had to pick up these kids here.”, Gyuri said pointing to Sulli, Hyuna and Suzy.

 

After the juniors greeted their fellow seniors, Sulli went to Tiffany to give her a kiss on the cheek.

 

“Sorry about leaving you Hon. Siwon said you guys were up pretty late last night, so he let you sleep more.”, Tiffany apologized when Sulli was supposed to hitch a ride with her and Siwon. Sulli just yawns before nodding her head in reply only to cause giggles from everyone.

 

“Augh! Too much cuteness in the morning. I can’t take it.”, Yoona said making everyone laugh and Seohyun hitting her softly on her shoulder.

 

“Geez... I know unnie. Too much cuteness in the morning... too much cuteness last night, too much cuteness... everyday! Ahh, cincha!”, Suzy complained unknowingly showing her own aegyo.

 

“Yah stop it with your aegyos! [Pouts] I’m the maknae here! [Pouts more] I should be the only one allowed to do that! [Crossing her hands to her chest]”, Jiyoung complained a bit cranky, maybe due to their lack of sleep.

 

“Yah!! That’s why everyone thinks I’m older than you guys! ‘Cause of that!”, Hyuna joined in with her own pout mimicking Jiyoung’s action and sitting beside her [All the salon chairs were occupied by their Unnies].

 

The actions of the sophomores/maknaes just ‘caused everyone, even the staff to laugh with their behaviour.

 

“Are they always like that?”, Krystal asked turning to Victoria.

 

“Yeah. Better get used to them Krys.”, Tiffany answered.

 

“Does it bother you?”, Yoona asked as a joke.

 

But Krystal replied innocently, “Not really. But, they kinda make my fingers curl up.” This caused further laughter among her fellow seniors.

 

Seohyun spoke after their laughter subsided, “So what do you guys plan on doing with your hair?”

 

“Hyuna and I are planning on getting full bangs unnie, but I’m changing my hair color back to black.”, Suzy spoke.

 

“Just like me!”, Victoria said.

 

“Hmm... now I wanna get some bangs too. [Pouts] I was just planning on dying my hair... Hmm [rubs her chin].”, Sulli joined.

 

“Anything will suit you Ssul. You’ve got good genes. Even a pixie cut would look good on you.”, Tiffany said with a eye smile remembering Siwon.

 

“You should try it Ssul! That’s what I was planning to get.”, Nicole added.

 

“What do you plan on doing with your hair Jiyoung?”, Krystal was curious.

 

“She’s still undecided.”, Gyuri answered for her sister.

 

“I still don’t know unnie... I already had full bangs last year. What do you guys suggest?”, Jiyoung turned to everyone.

 

“Yoona and I are planning on cutting our hair short Ji, only mine’s above the shoulders.”, Tiffany suggested.

 

“But I’m going to dye mine amber, Tiff and Hyunnie will dye theirs brown.”, Yoona added.

 

Jiyoung butted in while sitting in a more relaxed position and placing both of her hands under her chin, “I just wanna look good for Aiden.”

 

This caused Krystal to cough, very different from the others who teased Jiyoung.

 

Victoria found Krystal’s reaction weird but again she just decided to shrug it off.

 

“I wonder what the guys will look like.”, Seohyun pondered.

 

“I bet they’ll look even more handsome.”, Hara said with a smile.

 

 

Saturday |June 25, 2011| 10:30 AM

 

Meanwhile, as the girls were getting their hair fixed, the guys were in the same position but they were at the barber shop instead.

 

“[Pouts] I don’t wanna change my hair hyungs.”, Aiden said as he sat down on the corner waiting for his turn.

 

“Yah. This is tradition you little dino.”, Jonghyun said sitting next to him then ruffling his hair.

 

“I really don’t see what the big deal is. So what if I don’t get a haircut? I like my style.”, Aiden said sitting more comfortably.

 

“Bieber-fever’s over dude. Get a new cut little man.”, Chansung commented while already getting a new cut. His remarked caused laughs from the guys.

 

“If you think about it. It’s really not a big deal.. I think I also want to skip this year’s (hair) cut.”, Kyuhyun agreed with Aiden.

 

“Yah. It’s ‘cause you already had your hair cut last week! You didn’t wait for us.”, Jonghyun complained earning a rare merong from Kyuhyun.

 

“We UC should uphold our reputation of being stylish.”, Key said with a smirk.

 

“Nah. That’s not it.”, Jonghyun retorted.

 

“So people won’t get tired of us?”, Henry attempted to answer.

 

Anni. That’s not it. People would never get tired of us.”, Siwon spoke while looking at himself in the mirror intently.

 

“What are you dudes saying? Do you guys forgot the true meaning behind of all this?”, Taecyeon spoke.

 

“What is THIS anyway Hyung? Why do we do this every year?”, Minho asked.

 

“I dunno.. But I just know that we do this every year because people got used to it and now they’re expecting it from us.”, Taecyeon answered while scratching his head.

 

“What do you guys think I should do with my hair?”, Nichkhun suddenly spoke changing the subject.

 

“I think you should dye you hair Appa.”, Onew answered.

 

“Brown.”, Aiden added with a smile.

 

“Yo Aiden. You really not gonna cut your hair?”, Onew spoke. He wanted to ask Aiden if he could accompany him in fetching Luna at the mall’s entrance.

 

“Just have it trimmed like Kyu’s baby dino.”, Jonghyun suggested.

 

 

Saturday |June 25, 2011| 11:30 AM

 

After the guys had their haircuts and change in hairstyles they decided to just wait for the girls inside Bread Kitchen. [One of the many restaurants owned by the Choi family. It specializes in Southern American dishes such as pulled pork sandwiches, homemade corned beef, baby back ribs, BBQ chicken, Southern fried catfish and classic American favourites like burgers, buffalo fried and many more.]

 

Breadkitchen.jpg

breadkitchen2.jpg

Bread Kitchen

 

 

[Refer to aff Foreword: Description for previous character hairstyles]

 

The new hairstyles of the guys:

 

aiden4.jpgtaemin3.jpghenry2.jpg

 

minho2.jpg onew4.jpg key2.jpg

 

jong3.jpg taec2.jpg nichkhun2.jpg

kyuhyun2.jpg chansung3.jpg siwon2.jpg

 

 

“Dude, you don’t even look like you had a trim.” Henry said turning to Aiden who was sitting beside him.

 

“Yeah, you just wasted your money. You're better off with me cutting your hair.”, Taemin joined Henry in teasing Aiden.

 

“I don’t care. I still look more handsome than the both of you.”, Aiden responded after sticking his tongue out at his two best friends.

 

“You should’ve dyed your hair Aiden. I think blonde will suit you.”, Key joined.

 

“No, brown would be better. Just like mine. That way we’ll look like father and son.”, Nichkhun added.

 

“Dude, just combine them together. Blonde and brown or black with blonde highlights.”, Chansung joined in teasing Aiden.

 

“Yah! Why are you guys so hyped up about my style! You should... you should...

 

“mind... your... “

 

“own...”, Aiden was unable to speak.

 

“h-hair...”, or better yet was unable to think clearly when he saw the girls entering the restaurant especially a certain someone.

 

One Direction - One Thing

 

“What? Cat caught your tongue bro?”, Henry teased continuing with his laughter, only to be turned by Aiden’s left hand and Taemin’s right hand to the direction of the girls walking towards them.

 

I've tried playing it cool
But when I'm looking at you
I can’t ever be brave
'Cause you make my heart race

 

The juniors were the first ones to enter lead by Suzy, Sulli, Hyuna and Jiyoung followed by Nicole and Hara. Tiffany, Yoona and Gyuri lead the seniors followed by Victoria, Seohyun and Krystal.

 

The new hairstyles of the girls:

 

suzynew.jpgssulnew.jpghyuna2.jpgjiyoung.jpg

nicole2.jpgharanew.jpgtiffshortnew.jpgyoonshort2.jpg

 gyurinew.jpgvicbangs.jpg seonew.jpg krysnew.jpg

 

“Dude.”, No one knew who spoke, but then again nobody cared when 12 goddesses were standing in front of them.

 

Shot me out of the sky
You're my kryptonite
You keep making me weak
Yeah, frozen and can't breathe

 

“Hey guys I’m here! Woah! Daebak unnies! You guys look so hot!”, Luna came from behind the girls interrupting the moment between the guys drooling over the girls.

 

The girls dispersed finding their seats after Luna’s sudden appearance; also to hide their blush from the stares and smiles they received from the guys.

 

Something’s gotta give now
'Cause I’m dying just to make you see
That I need you here with me now
'Cause you've got that one thing

 

The guys instantly gave the girls their own compliments after seating beside them. Jonghyun was not an exception saying, “Y-you’re new style really suits you Krys...”

 

“Thanks.”, Krystal thanked him but her attention was on the guy on the other side of the room wearing a black cap.

 

“Do you think my new hair suits me Aiden?”, Jiyoung asked Aiden after taking a seat in front of him.

 

“Yeah... You look... perfect.”, Aiden said smiling with his head down giving her the compliment meant for the girl sitting beside his brother. Aiden met her eyes after speaking.

 

So get out, get out, get out of my head
And fall into my arms instead
I don't, I don't, don't know what it is
But I need that one thing
And you've got that one thing

 

The girls couldn’t help but blush after hearing praises from the guys about how good they look.

 

But the girls also did the same for the guys; telling them how handsome or how they look better.

 

“Yah hyung! Did you even get a haircut?”, Sulli noticed Aiden’s hair.

 

“I did.”, Aiden said sticking his tongue out at her.

 

“He got like a few hair strands taken out.”, Henry teased ‘causing their group to laugh.

 

“This style really fits Aiden anyway!”, Jiyoung stuck out for Aiden which causing the latter to smile, but like before his attention was on Krystal; giving her the smile meant for Jiyoung.

 

-----------------------------------------

Too long again? Hahaha. Promise to post the next part today if I can.. :)) 

Peace! :D