The vanished memories I

Fate without Destiny

 

Thirteen years earlier


Junmyeon was on his way out when a beautiful melancholic melody resonated in the corridors. Intrigued by who could be playing the forlorn piano piece, he followed it. Moments later he stood in front of the music classroom. Junmyeon strode inside unheard.

Rays of sunlight illumined the pianist’s side profile, his raven hair and bangs gleamed. He had a dreamlike complexion with rosy lips. The pianist’s eyes were closed while his long slender fingers moved left and right, pressing the piano keys that emitted the sad tune. Junmyeon was mesmerized by the pianist and the melody he was playing.

When the song came to an end, the boy opened his eyes. He must have felt Junmyeon’s gaze because he turned to see him. Their eyes met.

Junmyeon felt his cheeks getting warm. He was embarrassed about ogling the pianist for so long. Rapidly he cleared his throat and said the first thing he came up with, “Do you have a permit?”

“A permit?” the boy answered with a slight noticeable Korean accent.

“To be in here. It’s after school, you need to ask the music teachers if you wanna play the instruments.”

“Oh, I’m sorry,” the pianist apologized and bowed. “I don’t have one. I saw the door was open and couldn’t resist playing.”

Junmyeon walked closer to stand next to the pianist. “It’s all right. You must be new, aren’t you?”

The boy smiled, it was a radiating dimpled smile. “Yes! I’m a third-year exchange student.”

“Wherefrom?”

“I’m from Changsha, China, and you?”

A small chuckled left Junmyeon’s lips. “I’m Korean, I was born here in Seoul. And I’m also a third-year student, which class are you in?” he asked.

“Apparently, I’m in class D.”

“D? Wait, are you Zhang, Zhang Yi…?”

“Yixing!” the pianist exclaimed enthusiastically. “Yes, that’s me. How do know my name?”

“You were assigned to be my seatmate. But you weren’t in class today.”

Yixing scratched his head. “I was in class B all day, I think I misheard my host mother. It wasn’t until the last lesson that the teacher told me I was in the wrong class,” he said and laughed. Junmyeon laughed too.

“What’s your name?” Yixing asked.

“Oh right, I’m Kim Junmyeon,” Junmyeon replied and held out his hand.

Yixing shook it while saying, “Nice to meet you, Kim Junmyeon.”

Junmyeon felt the softest hands he had ever touched. “What’s the name of the melody you were playing? It was really beautiful,” he asked once their hands parted.

“‘Curtain.’ It’s actually a Korean song, but my voice is not good enough to sing it.”

“Nah, I don’t believe you,” Junmyeon said and shook his head. “You must have a wonderful singing voice.” Then, he blushed for saying that while Yixing just smiled at him. “It’s just tha-that you play the piano so well, I-I guess you must be talented,” he stuttered.

“I’m really not, but thank you,” Yixing said. There was a faint flush on his cheeks.

Before things turned more awkward, Junmyeon suggested, “We should go… The school might close soon.”

Yixing nodded. He covered the keyboard with the fallboard and stood up. He grabbed his jacket from one of the chairs and put it on. Then, they walked together to the school entrance while talking about their first day of school.

It was the middle of March, and the snow was slowly melting in the schoolyard. It wasn’t freezing cold anymore, and spring was just around the corner.

Before Junmyeon strolled to the parking lot, he asked Yixing, “Do you know the way home? If you give me your address, I could drive you there if you don’t mind sitting on my moped.”

Junmyeon saw another one of Yixing’s dimpled smiles. “Thanks, but I’ll be okay. It’s only a ten-minute walk from here… See you tomorrow, Kim Junmyeon!” Yixing said as he waved and walked away.

“Bye, Zhang Yixing,” Junmyeon muttered more to himself than to Yixing.

That night, after dinner, Junmyeon searched on his computer for a song called ‘Curtain.’ When he heard it, he thought its lyrics were as equally heartbreaking as its melody. But as he continued listening to the song over and over, the image of Yixing playing the piano kept repeating on his mind.

The next day Junmyeon walked into his classroom and saw Yixing already sitting on the seat next to his. He strolled over there. “I see you didn’t get lost today,” Junmyeon and sat down.

Yixing turned sideways. “Of course not, I couldn’t let you sit alone two days in a row,” he said.

Before Junmyeon could reply, the teacher walked in, and the lesson began.

During the short breaks to change classrooms, Junmyeon found himself talking and walking with Yixing. He learned that Yixing was younger than him just by a few months, that Yixing had learned Korean since he was ten-years-old because he wanted to sing along to Shinhwa’s songs, that Yixing played the piano since he was eight-years-old.

Later it was time for lunch. Junmyeon brought Yixing to sit at his usual table, where three people were already seated.

“Guys, this is Zhang Yixing,” Junmyeon said and sat down.

The three faces looked at Yixing as he sat next to Junmyeon.

“Yeah, I know him,” a tall male said. “Yesterday you were in my class by mistake, weren’t you?” he asked.

Yixing nodded and laughed. The boy laughed too. “I’m Park Chanyeol,” he said. “The little one next to me is Byun Baekhyun, also in the third-year. The other tall one is Oh Sehun, he’s a second-year student. And Junmyeon’s cousin.”

“Yixing, that’s Chinese, right?” Baekhyun asked.

“Yes, I’m Chinese. I lived in Changsha.”

“Cool, how long are you staying here?” Sehun asked.

“For the whole school year,” Yixing said.

“Isn’t this going to interfere with your studies in China?” Baekhyun wondered.

Yixing shook his head. “No, I already graduated.”

“Really? But aren’t we the same age?” Junmyeon asked.

“Yeah, but I got to skip a grade, so I graduated before.”

“You must be a genius,” Chanyeol said in awe.

“No, I’m definitely not,” Yixing replied and laughed. “I skipped the first grade because my parents taught me how to write and read early.”

“Then why didn’t you choose to attend uni?” Sehun inquired.

“High-school seemed more fun.”

“Can’t agree with you on that one,” Baekhyun said and laughed. Everyone else erupted in laughter too.

“Who are you staying with? Relatives?” Junmyeon spoke this time.

“No, I’m living with a host family. Their son used to go here, maybe you knew him… Choi Minho?”

“Isn’t that the guy Jun-” Chanyeol whispered but didn’t finish due to Sehun elbowing his rib. Junmyeon was flushing red. Yixing looked confused.

“Not personally, but he was quite popular around here… You speak Korean very good by the way!” Baekhyun uttered.

“Really? I’m always worried about my accent and intonation, but thanks!” Yixing replied and smiled at him.

For the rest of their lunch, the group continued eating and getting to know Yixing more, as well as telling him about themselves.

 

 

 

 

It became a routine for Yixing to sit with the group of friends, and eventually, he became one of them. They spent time together outside of school too, whenever they didn’t have a pile of assignments to finish. And everyone in the group, except maybe Yixing himself, saw how Junmyeon had grown especially fond of Yixing. He would often be smiling and laughing along with Yixing on the corridors. Now that it was spring, Junmyeon had replaced his moped with a bicycle. And after school, he would accompany Yixing home, despite his house was located in the opposite direction (he didn’t tell Yixing it was).

On a warm spring afternoon, near the end of April, their first exam season had finally ended, and the five of them went to celebrate it to the coffee shop they frequented.

“I saw you rejecting Eunjin today, Yixing,” Chanyeol said. “Isn’t this like the second love confession you’ve declined?” he asked.

“Wow, I didn’t know we had a heartbreaker in our gang,” Baekhyun .

“Ten more, and he’ll be just as popular as that Choi Minho guy,” Chanyeol added.

Yixing and the rest laughed at all their remarks. But then Junmyeon noticed how Yixing got serious for the first time since they had met.

Yixing took a sip from his Frappuccino. He had known his friends for over a month now, and he hadn’t said a thing because he had feared their reactions. Not everyone understood it. But at the same time, he felt like a liar for not telling them. So, he looked around and then said, “Actually, I don’t like girls… I’m gay.”

Everyone stared at Yixing. As Yixing met their looks, there wasn’t a single trace of despise in their eyes, only understanding.

“Ah, well that explains it,” Chanyeol said. “I kinda guessed it, but I wasn’t sure.”

“Don’t lie Yeol, you thought he liked Soojung,” Sehun said.

The group laughed, and they continued talking as they had always done. Junmyeon would often stare at Yixing, and whenever their irises found each other’s his heart beat a little faster.

A week later, Yixing went over to Junmyeon’s house for the first time. As Yixing followed Junmyeon on his bicycle, he realized that Junmyeon lived in the opposite direction of his neighborhood. He didn’t comment on it but just smiled to himself.

They arrived at a vast and modern two-story house. The inside was just as neat and pristine as the outside. Junmyeon guided Yixing to his room. He paused before walking in and said, “Sorry, but it’s a little messy.”

“Usually when someone says a ‘little messy’ is just modesty but this… This is a real mess,” Yixing uttered when he followed Junmyeon inside. The bed was undone, clothes and some empty carton boxes laid here and there. It was an untidiness that didn’t correlate with the rest of the house.

“I have a hard time keeping it organized, besides it’s my room, so,” Junmyeon justified himself and shrugged.

“I’m not judging you, I just didn’t pass you like the messy type,” Yixing said, “Besides my room may seem neat, but if you look inside the drawers… total chaos,” he added and laughed. Junmyeon burst out laughing too.

“Well, should we start?” Junmyeon asked once their laughter subsided.

“Yeah, the sooner we finish this report, the better.”

It took a total of four hours for them to complete their biology paper. The sun had settled long ago, and it was past nine o’clock. Yixing had to go home soon, but before that, they sat on the floor and rested their eyes from all the reading and writing.

“You know, last week I didn’t say this but… Junmyeon said with an almost inaudible voice, “I'm also gay."

Yixing’s eye widened. “Oh… You haven’t told anyone yet?” he murmured.

“No, no, the guys know too. I just… I just don’t dare to say it in public, in school, or anywhere someone might hear it.”

“Why?”

“Because I’m afraid that my parents will find out,” Junmyeon whispered.

“Are they…?”

“Yeah.”

“Oh, Jun,” Yixing said. He moved over to sit right next to Junmyeon. He placed an arm around him and held his hand. It was the first time they had intimate physical contact.

 

 

 

 

Near the beginning of May, Baekhyun and Yixing sat down excitedly at their lunch table.

“Hey, what’s up with you two?” Chanyeol asked.

“Well, Yixing and I just signed up for the school festival in June. We’re performing a duet! He’ll play the piano with his ‘amaXing’ skills, and I’ll sing with my killer vocals. We’ll definitely win the grand prize!” Baekhyun exclaimed happily.

“I think it’ll be really fun,” Yixing said.

For a brief second, that only Sehun saw, Junmyeon looked dejected. “Wow, good luck you two... I know you’ll win,” he cheered for them nonetheless.

“Thanks, Jun,” Yixing said and showed him one of his signature dimpled smiles. Junmyeon returned the smile.

“So, I have a list of songs we could try today…” Baekhyun began telling Yixing, but Junmyeon didn’t manage to hear the rest of it, his mind wandered off somewhere else.

When Junmyeon had finished eating, he excused himself and said he needed to bring a book from his locker. Sehun followed after him.

“Junmyeon, wait!” Sehun shouted once they were far away from the cafeteria.

Junmyeon stopped and turned around. There was a hint of sadness in his eyes.

“What happened?” Sehun asked.

“About what?”

“The festival. I thought you said you were going to ask Yixing to sing with you.”

“Ah, that… it doesn’t matter,” Junmyeon replied and feigned a smile.

“But you took extra singing lessons, you were looking forward to it since April, and you have already learned the song by heart,” Sehun said. "Look, I’m pretty sure Baekhyun will understand it if you-”

“No, it’s fine. Baekhyun beat me to it. He asked him first. And Yixing seemed very happy about it.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah, totally.”

Sehun saw another forced smile on Junmyeon’s lips. “If you want I can ask Baek-”

“Sehun, no!” Junmyeon almost shouted irritated. He sighed. “Sorry... I better get my book before class starts,” Junmyeon said and walked away.

“Why are you always like this?” Sehun asked none and shook his head.

In the following weeks that passed, to say Junmyeon wasn’t jealous about Yixing and Baekhyun spending time together was a big fat lie. During lunch, the two sat together and talked about nothing else than their duet. The pair stayed after school every day in the music classroom. Yixing didn’t go home with Junmyeon anymore. And on the weekends Yixing didn’t have much time to see Junmyeon because he was either doing some activity with his host family, practicing the piano alone or with Baekhyun, or they had too many assignments that there wasn’t any time left. But Junmyeon and Yixing did text on a regular basis, although it wasn’t quite like talking. And the only moments Junmyeon had Yixing for himself was in class and during their short breaks. It was silly, but Junmyeon felt jealous of his friends.

The day of Junmyeon’s eighteenth birthday fell on a Thursday, almost two weeks until the festival. When he got home, his mother said he had gotten a package. There was a note on top of it that said: ‘So you can save the world, Happy Birthday Jedi! -Xing Xing.’ Junmyeon smiled broadly when he read the piece of paper. He opened the package and saw it was a lightsaber. He hadn’t really expected Yixing would give him something, the congratulations and the hug in the morning had been enough. And he wondered how much trouble Yixing had taken to buy him the present he had wished for since he was little. He left his backpack in his room and bolted outside.

Junmyeon bicycled back to school. He wandered through the corridors until he got to the music classroom. Yixing was playing the piano alone. “Xing,” he said.

Yixing looked up and smiled at him. “Jun, what are you doing here?” he asked.

Nervously, Junmyeon strode closer to stand behind Yixing. “I wanted to thank you for the present,” he said and raised his arms to back hug Yixing. He could smell Yixing’s apple-scented shampoo.

“I’m glad it came on time,” Yixing said as his hands Junmyeon’s arms.

Junmyeon didn’t want to let go of the pianist. He wanted to stay like this, possibly forever. Eventually, though, he inhaled one last time and reluctantly let go of Yixing. Junmyeon was blushing. “Eh... Where’s Baekhyun?” he asked.

Yixing turned around to face him. “His mother called him, he had to leave early.”

“So, you’re practicing by yourself?”

“Yeah, I never played the song before, so I really wanna practice as much as I can.”

“You’re really hardworking.”

Yixing blushed a tad while smiling shyly.

“Hey, can you play the song you were playing when we first met?” Junmyeon asked. He walked over to stand next to the piano.

“Ah, Curtain? Sure,” Yixing said and nodded.

The first chords of the song filled the room. Junmyeon counted the pace in his head, just like he had learned weeks ago, and then he sang.

 

“Even when the curtains fall…”

 

Rapidly, Yixing looked at Junmyeon. He gawked as he heard Junmyeon singing.

 

“…When I sing this song

I’m going back to the times we were together…”

 

There was a broad smile on Yixing's lips. He thought Junmyeon’s voice fitted the song perfectly.

 

“…Even if today passes

Now, without you

I can’t pass it by No

Even the times that already passed

Are completely meaningless

When you’re not by my side…”

 

Yixing was mesmerized by Junmyeon's singing voice, by his gestures, by the way his eyes closed whenever he reached a high note, by the way he shone.

 

“…This song won’t be over

Even after the show is over and the curtains fall

This song for you will continue…”

 

Sometimes Junmyeon gazed at Yixing. He saw how he was looking at him with tender eyes and a dimpled smile. His heart skipped, but he wasn’t sure if it was because of Yixing or because he was singing.

 

“…Will you stay with me like that?

Singing under the Curtain.”

 

As soon as Yixing pressed the ending piano key, he stood up and clapped loudly. Junmyeon blushed.

“Wow! That was incredible Junmyeon! I didn’t know you could sing so marvelously.”

“Thanks, Xing…” Junmyeon replied meekly.

Yixing stopped clapping. “Shhh, don’t tell this to Baekhyun, but I like your voice a bit more,” he said and winked.

Junmyeon chuckled, but he was still blushing as his heart hammered in his chest.

 

 

 

 

The day of the school festival was on a Saturday, the seventh of June. The school’s auditorium was filled with students and some parents. The show started at nine in the morning. Yixing’s and Baekhyun’s act would be in three hours.

Junmyeon, Sehun, and Chanyeol went backstage to wish the duo good luck when there was an hour left. Yixing was wearing a dark suit. His usually styled down hair was styled upwards. To put it in simple words, he looked beautiful. And Yixing radiated, even more, when he gazed at Junmyeon and smiled.

“Jun!” Yixing greeted him.

“Hi Yixing… You look good,” Junmyeon said nervously, hypnotized by Yixing’s beauty. He wished he could have dared to say a better word than ‘good.’ Nonetheless, his compliment earned him another dimpled smile and a faint blush.

“Thanks.”

“Hey! What about me? Don’t I look good too?” Baekhyun complained as he crossed his arms.

Junmyeon stared at Baekhyun and chuckled. “Yeah, yeah Baek, you look good too.”

When Chanyeol, Baekhyun, and Sehun engaged in a conversation, Junmyeon took the chance to speak with Yixing. “Nervous?” he asked.

“Just a tiny bit.”

“Don’t be, I know you’ll do great,” Junmyeon said and patted Yixing’s shoulder. “Fighting!” he added.

Yixing just smiled broadly.

Then, the three from the audience had to go. They wished their friends good luck for the last time and walked back to their seats. They sat in the last row of the auditorium. But not long after sitting Sehun and Junmyeon went to the bathroom.

As they washed their hands, Sehun spoke. “I still think you should have talked to Baekhyun,” he said.

“Sehun, we’ve talked about this.”

“But you wish you were the one singing with him today, don’t you?” Sehun said as he looked at Junmyeon in the mirror.

Junmyeon closed the tap. “I already sang with Yixing two weeks ago, that’s enough for me,” he said. Junmyeon dried his hands and walked outside. Sehun sighed.

Thirty minutes left to Yixing’s and Baekhyun’s performance, someone told Junmyeon and the others, that the pair was calling after them. The trio hurried backstage. Baekhyun was sitting down, his arms were surrounded around his stomach.

“Baek? What’s wrong with you?” Chanyeol asked.

“I don’t think I can sing… My stomach hurts. I knew I shouldn’t have gone eating burgers last night with you Yeol,” Baekhyun answered.

“I think we should take Baekhyun home, guys,” Yixing said worriedly.

Baekhyun shook his head. “No, Xing. I may not be able to sing, but you can still play the piano... Does anyone here know how to sing?” Baekhyun asked, looking around his friends. His eyes met Junmyeon’s. “Junmyeon? You were good in music class; do you know a song Yixing can play?”

Everyone looked at said male expectantly. Junmyeon nodded and said, “Yes, I do, but Baek you two have prepared for weeks, I can’t…”

“Ah, that's true, but it’s a bigger waste that Yixing won’t be able to perform. I think the whole school deserves to hear what a great pianist he is. You two should go anyway. What do you think Yixing?” Baekhyun said.

Yixing looked concerned. “Are you sure, Baekhyun? And what about your health? Will you be alright?” he wondered.

“Oh yeah! It’s just a stomach ache it’ll pass soon. I just need to go home and rest,” Baekhyun reassured Yixing and smiled. “Now go tell the announcers our number has changed, go!” he said.

“If you say so… I hope you get better soon Baek,” Yixing said. Then he and Junmyeon walked towards the announcers.

Chanyeol accompanied Baekhyun home, while Sehun went back to his seat and waited for Yixing’s and now Junmyeon’s performance. Afterward, it was time for their number. Sehun watched Yixing take a seat on the piano stool, Junmyeon stood in the center. Junmyeon glanced at Yixing and subtly nodded. Yixing began playing the piano. A few chords later, Junmyeon’s voice accompanied him. They were singing ‘Curtain.’

Sehun felt someone take a seat next to him. He looked sideways and was surprised to see Baekhyun and Chanyeol sitting.

“I thought you went home,” Sehun whispered.

“No, I’m not sick,” Baekhyun murmured.

“Then, why-”

“He could have told me.”

“What?”

“That he wanted to sing with him.”

Sehun gasped and said, “How did you know?”

“I overheard you two in the bathroom.”

“Sorry,” Sehun apologized.

“For what? It’s really okay. I was just doing it so Yixing could have good memories from this school… and for the 90.000 wons.”

Sehun laughed silently.

“Besides, they look cute,” Baekhyun said as he watched his friends perform on stage. He noticed how sometimes Junmyeon would look sideways to see Yixing. “Junmyeon likes him, doesn’t he?” he whispered in Sehun’s ear. 

Sehun nodded and said, “Totally.”

Junmyeon and Yixing won the festival’s competition. Junmyeon gave his part of the price to Baekhyun, he didn’t need the money. The performance and the picture he had of him and Yixing holding their trophy brought him more than enough happiness.

 

 

 

 

After the festival, another busy season came for the students. Exams, presentations, projects, and reports tormented them. But time passed and before they knew it summer had begun. The days were hotter and hotter, the sun shone brightly in the sky and today was the last day of school before the summer break.

“What are we going to do during the break?” Baekhyun asked the group during lunch.

“We should go on a trip to the beach,” Chanyeol said.

“That sounds nice, when can you guys?” Baekhyun inquired.

“I can’t, my host family wants us to travel to the countryside for the whole summer,” Yixing said.

“What? How come you didn’t tell us before?” Junmyeon said dejectedly.

“Sorry, they just told me this yesterday…”

“Well, that . But we should do something today instead!” Baekhyun exclaimed.

“What about bicycling in Yeouido Hangang Park? It’s pretty this time of the year,” Sehun said.

Everyone nodded and agreed to Sehun’s suggestions. They decided to meet after school, around five o’clock in the park. Yixing asked Junmyeon if he could accompany him, Junmyeon, of course, said yes.

In the park, the group first bicycled around the area. Sometimes they competed over who could get faster somewhere. Usually, Sehun was the winner. And when they had gotten too tired, they played near the water fountains, tossing water at each other. It was as if they were back to being children again.

Eventually, it became dark, and Baekhyun, Chanyeol, and Sehun had to go home. They said goodbye to Yixing and wished him to have a nice break. Yixing said the same as well. And when the trio left, Junmyeon and Yixing walked to sit on the border near the Han river. On the horizon, they saw the city of lights shining before them, the tall and majestic buildings.

“What time do you leave?” Junmyeon asked.

“Around ten in the morning.”

“Have you packed?”

Yixing laughed. “No, I was thinking of just dropping some clothes in my luggage tonight.”

Junmyeon giggled.

“Hey Jun, will you miss me while I’m gone?” Yixing asked.

Junmyeon blushed, he knew he’ll miss Yixing. He had expected they would spend summer break together, meeting every day, doing random or and fun things, but now that wasn’t possible. “I will Xing,” he replied nervously. “You have practically become family, hehe, of course, I’d miss you,” he added. This wasn’t near the truth of what Junmyeon felt for Yixing, but whenever he got nervous Junmyeon would ramble the most idiotic things.

“So… I’m like a brother to you?”

Now it was too late to decline. “Yeah, you know, just like Baekhyun and the others…”

Since Junmyeon was too distracted glancing at the buildings in front of them, he didn’t see the faint disappointment on Yixing’s face.