Misfortune

Love Me and I Die

Seungri

I called Eun-Mi’s friend, Sae-Jin, and asked her to meet me in the café where they met last time.  She was the closest person to Eun-Mi, although they weren’t very close at all.

“Hey Seungri!” Sae-Jin cheerfully greeted as I entered the small café.

“Hey Sae-Jin…I need to talk to you.” I said carefully as I sat down across from her. “It’s about Eun-Mi…”

“Eun-Mi? Why, are you planning to finally propose to her?” She giggled. “Or…did something happen?” Her face suddenly darkened with worry.

“Yeah I’m afraid so.” I looked down and took a breath. “She broke up with me,”

“WHAT?” Sae-Jin gasped loudly; making those other people around us turn their heads. “No way…how can that be possible? You guys were perfect for each other! And she definitely loved you, it was so obvious!”

“I don’t know what happened. But she seems really sad.”

“No, this doesn’t really sound like her…” her eyes widened as she seemed to have just remembered something. “Oh wait! Don’t tell anyone I told you this, but I heard that there would always be a misfortunate event happening to people close to her.”

That was something new. “Misfortunate how…?”

“Death.”

I was on the lead to something.


Eun-Mi

 “SEUNGRI!” I shouted as loud as I could, and my voice even cracked. He didn’t seem to hear me, and kept walking right into the path of the speeding truck. But it seemed that neither Seungri, nor the driver had seen each other.

This was the first time I actually witnessed my curse in action.

I tried to run as fast as I could, but no matter what, I never got any closer to him. It was just like in dreams when you need to get somewhere, but you just can’t.

“NO!” I cried. Time stopped the instant before the truck hit him, and for only a second, he turned to look at me with sadness in his eyes. Then I watched as everything went back to normal speed and he got hit.

I heard the impact.

I ran over to his side, which I was able to do surprisingly fast. It had seemed that time was back to normal speed. I saw him lying there, unmoving, with a pool of blood starting to collect under him. I fell to the ground next to him.

“Seungri,” I whispered, praying that he wasn’t dead. No, I won’t let my curse take him from me! He didn’t respond, but I noticed that his fist was still clenched tightly around something. I watched him as he lied there helplessly since the paramedics were always so slow. His breathing was shallow and laboured. Then his grip loosened and his hand unclenched slowly.

It was the panda charm I had given him.

My curse had claimed another life.

I woke up with tears streaming down my face. My heart was pounding like crazy as I tried to make sure that Seungri was okay. I looked around and realized that I was in my own house. Had everything been just a dream? The alcohol I drank was making my head pound. Even so, I might have had another dream that would come true. I wasn’t going to take any chances.

I got up early since there was a lot of work to complete. I was keeping myself as busy as possible so I didn’t have time to think of him. After eating breakfast while watching a drama, I left my house and headed to the mall. It was quickly turning into the cold winter, and there was already a hint of snow in the air. It would have been a nice day to sit around a cozy fire place and watch TV with— No. I couldn’t think of him. I forced myself to put on a smile and enjoy walking to the mall.

Inside the mall, it was nice and warm. It was more crowded than usual since people were already starting their holiday shopping. I went inside a store and browsed for a while. There were new styles of sweaters and cardigans which was just what I needed to keep warm this cold winter. I grabbed a light grey one and proceeded to the line. While I stood in line, I saw a little girl with her mother. The little girl picked something up from the ground and started to play with it. I turned away from her and minded my own business.

“Ouch!” She cried. I looked down and saw that she had a cut on her finger, and it was bleeding slightly. Her mother looked down at her, worried.

“Millie! Are you okay? How did you get that oo?” Her mother asked.

“That thingy cut me!” The little girl pointed at the piece of…glass that she had been playing with, and started to cry.

I reached into my bag and found what I was looking for.

“Hey, uh, here’s a band-aid.  You should cover it up before it gets infected.” I gave Millie’s mother the band-aid and she nodded in thanks.

“Millie, stop crying please. Mommy will make it all better.” She opened the band-aid and wrapped it around Millie’s bleeding finger. Then she kissed her daughter’s finger.

“See, Millie? Your oo is all better.” The mother told Millie. The little girl stopped crying and stared at her bandaged finger for a while. Then, miraculously her frown turned upside down.

“Yay! It’s all better!” She exclaimed happily, and went back to skipping around the store. Her mother gave me one last thankful look before following her daughter.

I smiled a little at how such a simple action can make someone’s day better.

If only a broken heart could be cured this easily.