Friend

Love Me and I Die

Well, it wasn’t exactly peace.

Memories of my past resurfaced and haunted me. I saw the faces of all my family members clearly. In one scene, we were sitting at the dinner table, serving our Thanksgiving dinner when I was about seven years old.

“Mommy, what’s love?” I had asked. My mother was a bit shocked by my question.

“Love is…it’s kind of hard to explain, Eun-Mi. Maybe you’ll understand when you’re older. It’s like a feeling you have when you care a lot for someone.” I nodded, already understanding something so complicated for such a small child.

“Then Mommy, Daddy and you,” I pointed to my brother sitting beside me. “I love you all!” I grinned, feeling so happy that I loved people.

Little did I know what would happen to all of them…

Bright sunlight streamed through the curtains, casting beams of gold across the room. It was a medium sized room that was fairly empty. I tried to sit up in the bed but was quickly met by dizziness. I tried to stretch, but my stretch was interrupted by a sharp pain that came from my arm. I looked at it and saw that the wound was wrapped in a fresh bandage. Then I looked and what I was wearing. I was wearing an oversized hoodie that I didn’t remember I owned, and a pair of sweat pants that I also didn’t remember I owned. That was so strange.

My brain felt so fuzzy as I tried to remember the events of the day before. The pounding in my head reminded me of a hangover, but surely that didn’t happen…right?

Then it hit me.

It took me a while to realize…but I was not in my own apartment, and the hoodie and sweats I was wearing clearly weren’t mine. Carefully, I tried to get up again and find out where I was. I moved myself as slowly as possible so the pain wouldn’t be so intense. Warily, I put one foot on the ground, and then the other. A piercing pain gouged the back of my ankle so penetrating that I fell back on the bed. I looked at my foot and found that it was also bandaged up. I knew that I should have stayed in bed, but my curiosity compelled me. My steps felt weak, but I was able to limp. I got to the door, and opened it silently. I heard voices.

“Thank you so much for helping out, Jihyun. If it wasn’t for you…I really don’t know if she would have lived at all. Thank you.” The voice sounded a bit familiar…

“No problem, Seungri. Now, I’ll leave you two alone…” This Jihyun girl said almost teasingly. A door clicked and I guess Jihyun left. Wait…Seungri?

What happened last night? I limped a few steps and turned to my right—

—and came face to face with Seungri. My eyes widened in surprise, as I tried to take a step back, but I accidently put my weight on my bad foot, and lost my balance. Luckily, he caught me. He put his hands on my shoulders and steadied me. It was an awkward moment, but then I looked away to hide my burning cheeks.

“Glad you’re feeling better,” He said. He released me after I regained my balance. “How is your arm and heel?”

“Um yeah it’s better,” What exactly happened last night? “So…what happened yesterday?” I asked as I tried to recall anything I could. I furrowed my brows as I thought hard.

“I don’t know actually…I found you in the alley way between my house and my neighbour’s. I guess the wound on your arm opened again and then you passed out because of the blood loss.” He leaned against the wall and rubbed the back of his neck. I probably still had a confused look on my face.

“Were you doing ‘business’ again?” he asked.

“I can’t remember anything…” As I said that though, memories started coming back to me in pieces, and soon I remembered the whole thing. I didn’t want to discuss it with him so I quickly changed the subject without missing a beat.

“So this is your house?” I asked, looking around the corridor that we were standing in. Hmm, why would those men have led me to Seungri’s house and just threatened me for money?

“Yeah,” he replied. “Uh, you should probably check on your wounds yourself…I’ll show you to the bathroom.” He walked past me and I followed him past the room that I had stayed in, and we made a right turn.

“Thanks…” I said awkwardly once we got there. He turned around and his footsteps got quieter as he walked away.

I entered the high class washroom and was greeted immediately by bright lights and a giant mirror along the wall. What was most surprising though, was not anything in the washroom, but it was my own reflection.

My short jet black hair was all tangled and messy, still sticky with some clumps of blood, my eye bags almost matched Seungri’s eye bags, and my skin was so pale. There was no colour whatsoever on me at all, except for the purple bruises. Must have been the blood loss. I splashed some cold water on my face that cleared my head a bit.

Without making a sound, I hopped downstairs while grabbing onto the railing tightly, making sure that I wouldn’t fall. Seungri’s house seemed to be pretty big, and there were many rooms on the main floor. I walked into the kitchen and saw a giant first aid kit right on the counter. I raised an eyebrow. I saw the fridge door open and Seungri bending into it, looking for something. I poked him in the side.

“GAH!” he flinched, causing him to bump his head on the top of the fridge. I smirked.

“Whoa, I didn’t even hear you coming!” He closed the fridge and rubbed his head where he bumped it.

“Of course you didn’t. So what’s the first aid kit for?” I pointed at the one on the table.

“Oh, my friend came over and we stitched your arm back together,” he said playfully. I gave him a dull look. “Really,” he insisted.

“Gee, thanks. I hope I don’t die now,” I said sarcastically. My arm did feel a lot better though…

“Don’t worry, she’s a doctor.” he smiled. Ahh, no wonder. “I called her over last night since you were dying, and then she fixed up your wound.” So that’s who he was talking to earlier.

“So anyway…I should get going.” I said, then limped towards the door.

“Are you kidding? You’re planning to go out in this condition? You should really be in bed resting.” he scowled at me.

“I’m fine though.” I said, as I continued limping towards the door. Suddenly, I stepped on my bad foot too hard and lost my balance. I prepared to hit the floor.

“See what I mean?” Seungri said, as he caught me again. My eyes widened as he scooped me up and started walking upstairs. I glared at him. He laid me on the bed that I was in earlier. “Eun-Mi, you have to get your rest and make sure those wounds heal properly.”

I held my glare for another few seconds. “Fine.” I said unwillingly. “I can take care of myself though.” I said coldly and looked away.  

“Just make sure you’re okay first.” he said. “Besides, I had to make it up to you right? Now we’re even right?” I opened my mouth to reply when he went on. “So does that make us friends now?”

Friends? I raised an eyebrow.

Why the hell would he want to be friends with me?

A battle occurred in my head. I avoided people as much as possible because I was cursed, which is why I joined the mafia in the first place. Working at night allowed me to avoid everyone, and there was a good pay too. But Seungri wanted to be friends?

The memories from the nightmare I had were still in my head. I mentally shuddered.

Well…there’s absolutely no way that I could love guy like him, so I couldn’t see any dangers that came from being friends with him.

“Sure, I guess.” I answered indifferently.

He smiled a little. “Okay, well I guess I’ll leave you alone now.” He turned to walk toward the door.

“Seungri-ssi,” I called. He stopped right before reaching the door and turned around.

“Thank you.” I said quietly.