The Answer

My Girlfriend's Best Friend

I cook an ox bone soup for Tiffany early in the morning and drop by her house. She loves that every time she drinks too much. I let out a long exhale when I realise that it's nearly the afternoon but she still peacefully sleeping. I decide to just sit beside her bed and play with my phone.

I'm checking my phone's gallery and stumble upon a picture that I took; Jessica's sleeping with her unique pose. Are you doing fine after drinking so much? Are you having a hangover? Why am I talking to a picture of you? I sigh. But how is she though, is she- I can ask Yuri! Yes! I'm smart. I stand up and exit Tiffany's house. I call my best friend as I lean my body on the trunk of my sedan.

"What?" Yuri's voice sounds husky. I must've waken her up from her sleep.

"Where are you?"

"Jessica's, I-" she pauses and I hear someone groaning. "I- I call you later, Taeng," she ends the call. What the hell? If she's at Jessica's house, that would mean that the one groaning was Jessica? So th-they're sleeping together? Oh no. Don't tell me Yuri took away her- her ity?

¤¤¤

I bang Jessica's apartment door repeatedly until Yuri opens it. I notice she's wearing a hoodie and shorts.

"Hi, Taeng. What's wrong?" She scratches her head and asks me to come inside.

"Did you do it?"

"Do what? Why do you look like you want to kill me?" She chuckles and walks to the kitchen. "I'm cooking by the way, so just sit down. Jessica just entered the shower," she nonchalantly replies and continues to chop the chives.

"Yah, answer me," I frown.

"What?" She laughs. "What's with the frown, midget? What did I do?"

"You know, your usual stuff. Did you?" My frown gets deeper and my heart feels tightened. Please say no. Please say no, Kwon Yuri! I gulp the lump on my throat.

"Listen, Jessica is fine and she ordered me to cook her breakfast- brunch. I don't know what you mean but just to let you know, her hangover isn't- oh my," She smacks her forehead. "Don't tell me you're thinking that I slept with her?" She faces her body towards me and squints her eyes as if to judge me.

"You didn't?" I raise my eyebrows.

"I didn't, you byuntae!" She slaps my arm violently. "She's too innocent to be one of my bang-and-bye girls," she mumbles. "And besides, she was dead by the time I reached her house. I like to hear them become a mess when I touch-"

"Jeez, too much details," I say with disgust. "I thought you took advantage of her, you lesbo. This morning I heard her groan-"

"You hurt me, Taeng," she pouts and I just shove her face away. "We did sleep together but it's only us sleeping on her bed. No touching. She fell off her bed you know, that's why she groaned," she chuckles. "Can you believe that? She's really clumsy in a cute way,"

"She is clumsy," I chuckle. "I-"

"Taeng!" She grabs both of my shoulders. "Don't tell me today is Tuesday,"

"But it is," I mumble. "Why-"

"My class, you idiot," she shoves my body away.  "Tell Jessica, I'll see her later!" She runs out of Jessica's apartment, leaving me dazed with everything. I thought she would skip her classes today for Jessica. Sigh. Aigoo that girl didn't even finish cooking, I frown. What was she trying to make? Not knowing what to do with the chives, I go to Jessica's fridge and take an egg. I check her freezer and found a packet of hash brown and sausages. American Breakfast for the American. 

"Yuri-ah!" Jessica shouts out my best friend's name from her bedroom, I guess. Just in time, I'm done with my cooking. All that's left is to pour her a glass of juice. "Yur- Taengoo?"

"Hi," I turn my head to glance at her and give her a small smile. "I just cooked you breakfast,"

"Where did Yuri go?" She answers me and I hear the sound of her footsteps.

"She forgot her class so she rushed there. She told me she'll meet you later," I put the glass of juice on the dining table and she sits down.

"Thanks, Taengoo," she smiles at me and I do the same. I take a seat opposite of her and look at her munching her food excitedly. There must be something in her that makes me want to stare at her eyes, nose, lips, that milky white skin. I am bewitched. I tear my gaze away from her when she catches me looking at her. "Why are you here though? Not that I dont want you here but I just wasn't especting you," she tucks the wet strands of her hair behind her ear.

"I wanted to see you," I mutter and she spurts her drink to my face. "Oh god," I purse my lips and grab tissue paper 

"Sorry!" She helps me clean my face. "I think you should wash your face, Tae. It'll get sticky," she frowns and I just nod before I go to the sink.

"Why were you so shocked?" I chuckle as I sit down opposite of her again.

"N-nothing," she smiles and her face heats up.

 

Cute.

 

"I just wanted to check up on yo-" I stop as her hand reaches out for my face and touches my cheek.

"Tissue," she mumbles and shows me a little piece of tissue paper on her finger. I lock my gaze at hers and my lips form a smile. I look away when she catches me staring for the second time today.

"Does your head hurt or anything? Yuri told me you drank quite a lot,"

"I have a high alcohol tolerance, you know," she quirks an eyebrow and smirks which makes me scoff. "I don't get hangover the next day for most of the time,"

"You kept on accusing me that I'm not Taeyeon and you still say that you have high tolerance?" I give her a teasing smile and her face heats up again.

"I- I did?" She widens her eyes and I nod. "D-did I do anything else? Sometimes I get too touchy when I'm drunk," she trails off and rubs her arms awkwardly. I want to say that she wanted me to touch her body but that would not be decent to say or hear. Should I say about her kisses on my cheek?

"Nothing much, you just kept on insisting I looked like a Taengoo you know," I again and her face reddens. "Your face is as red as the mug, Sica," I chuckle as I point at the mug in front of her and she looks down to her lap.

"W-when will Yuri come back?" She asks me and I don't know why but it makes me regret my decision to make Yuri come here a few days ago.

"Why are you asking about Yuri when I'm here?" I frown slightly.

"What? No, Tae-"

"Guess you've found a new friend that you like," I bitterly chuckle.

"No, it's-"

"I uhh- I need to go, Sica," I run my fingers through my hair and clench my jaw. "I'll see you when I see you," I give her a small smile as I stand up and walk to her door.

"Taeyeon," she grabs my hand and we fix our gaze at each other. "I was asking because I wanted you to stop teasing me," she tucks strands of her hair behind her ear and looks down to her feet. "I was just emberassed for myself," she mumbles. "Of course, if I have to choose, I'd choose you over Yuri," she shifts her gaze to meet my eyes. "So please don't go yet?"

"Are you hitting on me?" I quirk a single eyebrow and smirk.

"What?" She gives me a look of disbelief. "Oh my god, you're so full of yourself," she pushes my body playfully. "Just go, I'll wait for Yuri," she mumbles, walking back to her seat when I pull her into a hug. 

"Don't be like that to me," I whisper. "I'll get sad," I caress her hair gently.

"You looked so upset just now," she leans her chin on my shoulder. "But it turns out that you're just pranking me," she whines. "You're so mean,"

"Sorry," I move my hand to pat her and she squeals 'Byuntae!'. I just laugh at her reaction. She's seriously cute. If only you know that I was actually upset when I thought you would chose Yuri over me; what will you say or do? Sigh. Why am I like this?

"-yeon! Are you ok?" She fixes my bangs and I just realise that we're so close. Her features are really beautiful. Those lips- "You're spacing out, you know?"

"Ahh- I'm fine. I was thinking about stocking up your fridge," I lock my gaze at her. "You're free today, right?"

"Yup!" She smiles. "I'll dry my hair then we can go?" She says before she goes to her room.

"Ok, I'll wait on the couch," I plop myself on her couch. Why does it feel like it's been months since I've been here? It has only been less than one week, right? The vibration in my jeans pocket disturb my thought and I take my phone, only to see a message from Tiffany. Tiffany Hwang, my girlfriend. I forgot about having a girlfriend. What are you doing to me, Jessica? 

 

Where are you?

 

I give the message a good stare; what am I supposed to do? Yesterday, I promised her not to have alone time with her best friend but now I'm here, alone with her. I sigh before I bite my lips. Should I just lie? I lock my phone screen and put it on my lap. I grit my teeth, feeling annoyed at the situation. What should I do? Tiffany or Jessi- I scoff. Of course, any normal person in a relationship will choose her partner over a new found friend. 

"Taengoo, let's-"

"I have something urgent so I can't go with you for grocery shopping," I rub my nape and smile awkwardly.

"Oh," she trails off and both of us just gaze into each other's eyes

"I'm sorry Sica, I'll tell Yuri to-"

"It's ok, I can tell her myself," she gives me a small smile. "You should go now," she says and I mutter a 'Bye' before I exit her apartment. Why did I say I have something urgent? I could've said that I forgot about my date with Fany and she'd understand. What is wrong with me?

¤¤¤

I should've expected that my girlfriend would be angry when I tell her that I broke the promise. This time, she slams her bedroom door in front of my face and shouts 'Leave!'. There we go again, fighting, apologising, crying then making out. I sigh. It's getting too tiring for me despite the fact that it's my fault.

Can't she just appreciate my honesty? Wait- all this time she knows I'm spending time with her best friend because I tell her so which means Jessica has never said anything about being with me? Is she doing that because she doesn't want Fany to get angry or is it because their friendship has grown apart?

"Tiffany," I knock on her door gently. "I know it's my fault but please come out and talk to me?" I sigh. "I went to Jessica's because I just wanted to check up on her. I-" I pause as she opens her door and looks into my eyes with her teary ones. When my hands reach out to cup her face, she steps one step back. "Fany-ah, I-"

"Let's break up," she mutters and her tears stream down her face. "Let's break up. I don't think our relationship-"

"If you don't trust me then trust Jessica," I frown and I take her hand and caress it. "She's been your friend since you guys are toddlers, right? It makes no sense if she leads me on and throws away her friendship with you, Fany. Please, don't-" she yanks away from my grip.

"Do you like her?" She hisses.

"What? Why are you-"

"Answer me,"

"I don't," I mutter and she scoffs.

"Your eyes can't lie, Taeyeon. You know where the exit is. Get out of my house," she mumbles before she slams her door shut again. What the hell? What did I do?

"Tiffany!" I bang her door repeatedly. "What was that about? Yah! TIffany!" I bang on it again until one of her maids me out of her house. She says that the young miss wants me out of her house.

So that's it? Our relationship ends because of her jealousy and insecurity? Fine, if that's what you want then I give it to you, Fany-ah. Sigh. But what did she mean by my eyes can't lie? Was she saying that my eyes told her that I like Jessica? But Jessica is just a friend whom I care about and yes I do think of her sometimes but-

 

Tiffany is right

 

I care and think about Yuri sometimes but it feels different. Yuri feels like a member of my family while Jessica makes me want to protect her. She makes me want to make her smile and I want to hug her, kiss- her. I- I want to make her mine. That's why all this time, I keep on wanting to spend more and more time with Jessica. That was also the reason why I was so upset at the thought of her choosing Yuri over me. I fell out of love from Tiffany and now I've fallen for Jessica's charm; her features, her coy smile, her voice, her gaze, her- everything. 

 

I like my girlfriend's best friend, scratch that, my ex-girlfriend's best friend.

 

I like Jessica Jung.

+++

I open my apartment's door after a constant ringing of the buzzer; whoever that is, this person has no patience. I let out a long exhale and shake my head.

"Hel-" my words are cut short as the person pushes me harshly inside and slap my cheek.


A/N Guess who slapped Taeyeon?

Anyway, there you go. They finally break up!! But the future for Taengsic won't become bright so easily. There will surely be struggles.

I give special thanks to Mj1234, jsyj0418 who voted this and also to all those people who has been supporting me through your subscription and comments for this story

Ciao :)