CH 13: March 21, 2013

Moon and Diamonds
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

CH 13: March 21, 2013

“I need to thank-” Ahra’s speech was cut off by her own crying mixed with laughter. Jia had the same reaction next to me. I could feel the vibrations of her crying through my arm wrapped around her shoulders. 

I stretched out another arm to rub Ahra’s back gently. 

She continued. “I need to thank all of our fans, Lee Soo Man teacher, all of the unnies and oppas on our crew, er… Lani?” Ahra turned to me, her shining eyes pleading. 

“Uh, me?” She nodded. “Oh, okay. Um, I think what Ahra said really goes. Thank you to all of the people who supported us, to our parents, and, um, yeah. Please continue to support us, we will work harder!” 

With that, the emcee’s began speaking, and my attention drifted from them to a bouncing Hyerin flitting around Jia, who was wiping her eyes. Emika seemed speechless and Ahra kept giggling as she hugged her. I joined their hug, as did Hyerin and Jia when they saw us. We embraced each other, not speaking, as our encore music began to play. 

“I’m proud of us,” Ahra murmured as we broke apart. A smile spread across my face, even wider than the one I had kept before. 

Jia began her opening lyrics as the rest of us bowed to 2AM, our competitors. 

“Congratulations,” they murmured to us in passing. We breathed out our thank you’s and as the stage cleared, we spread out, Ahra’s voice booming over the speakers. I moved slightly in accordance with the beat, not completely dancing, just slightly swaying side to side. 

I couldn’t help but admire our harmony as the chorus began. Our voices sounded amazing in unison. I sung with my eyes closed, the fan chants making me smile as they repeated “tempest”.

I felt blissful. This, this was what I had worked for. To be singing, performing, entertaining others. Though we weren’t close enough to call each other best friends yet, I was thankful for the four girls who were performing with me. Maybe they weren’t completely family yet, but I had a feeling they would be. Already, I could feel a bond forming, one similar to the ones I had with my friends back home. 

In that moment, I felt the lyrics of my solo. I felt untouchable, and beautiful, unstoppable. I belonged to no one, and still to those who loved me. 

This lyricist was amazing, Jesus Christ. 

***

“Make sure you guys go to sleep right after practice,” our manager, Jaesung, commanded. “Schedule begins at four tomorrow, it’s already nine. You need to be rested.”

“Yes, Jaesung oppa,” we chorused. He hummed contently as he braked at the red light. 

“I’m very proud of you all,” he offered. “Did you know you’re the first group to have a win only eight days after debut? You all have already broke a record!”

“Yes,” Ahra said. Hyerin let out a whoop from the backseat, making us all laugh. “We will work harder.”

“Mmm, that’s good to hear,” Jaesung oppa commented. “I’m excited for what you guys will do in the future.” After a slight “me too” from Emika, we fell into a comfortable silence, listening to the music Ahra had put on.

I was just as excited as Jaesung for our future, but I was simultaneously nervous. Our apparent popularity seemed like a dream come true. I hoped that it would remain a constant; I did not want to be one of those ‘one hit wonders’ that my sister seemed to always talk about. 

Speaking of my sister…

“Jaesung oppa, do you have my phone?” I questioned, jerking up from my positioning against the window.

“Huh? Oh, yeah.” All of the members (excluding Sixiao who didn’t have a phone) jerked up, completely attentive as their phone was mentioned. “Ahra, pick up my bag, please.” Ahra picked up his bag under the passenger seat that she was sitting in. 

“Which pocket are they in?” She questioned. He murmured back a response, and she picked out our phones, handing them back to us. She called out our names like she was giving roll, handing back the mixture of iPhones and Samsungs. We fell back into a silence as we got our phones back, the screens lighting up the dark car.

I scrolled throu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter