C5.

Chaenarios For You.

It was another Tuesday and it was school day. Blegh...

Before going to class, you went to your locker and took some books out.

On the way back to class, you saw Chae Hyungwon, the reserved but popular, good-looking student that had just enrolled a few days ago.

Girls surrounded him but he showed no interest. Hyungwon and his 'fans' walked passed you.

What am I thinking? A guy like him to look at a girl like me? I’m sure Yejin ( of the school) brain-washed him during the first day.

You pursed your lips and push your glasses up.

Hyungwon looked up and both of you met eyes. You gasped and looked away. You quickly left the scene. Hyungwon tilted his head and went back to his oldself.

During class was as always, boring.

Though some of them harrassed you, you did not give a damn.

It has been that way eversince you accidently spilled strawberry milkshake on Yejin. And of course, with all her popular power, she turned the school upside down for you. Everyone have been harassing you non-stop and made your life a living hell.

At first, you were upset and hurt (still does) but you kept your head held up high. The bell rung.

You exhaled, Finally!

Quickly, you stood up and walked out of your class.

Without you noticing, you accidently bumped into someone. You panicked, “No, don’t hurt me! I’m sorry! I didn’t see. It’s my fault.”

You did not look up and rubbed your hands together in plea. When you noticed that the person did not insult you or do anything, you slowly looked up. You gasped as Hyungwon fixed his gaze on you.

Oh crap!

“I’m so sorry, Hyungwon-sshi. I was wrong. I didn’t see you walking-”

“I’m fine. Are you okay?” Hyungwon cut you. Your mouth parted a bit as you were suprise to hear his voice.

So… deep.

“I’m-”

“Hyungwon!” A voice called. You looked behind as Hyungwon looked up.

Oh crap! Red alert!

Quickly, you ran away as far as you could. Hyungwon became puzzle as he saw you running as if thugs were after you.

“Hyungwon!” Yejin beamed and hugged Hyungwon's arm. Hyungwon looked at Yejin with an expressionless face and shook her off, then walked away.

“Hyungwon..” Yejin caught up. “You want to go and have lunch together?” She beamed sweetly. Hyungwon shook his head.

“Awww, why?” She pouted.

“Cause I dont want to.” He coldly said and walked away.

Yejin blew air to her bangs then stomped her way to the cafeteria.

After catching some breath, you walked towards the cafeteria. But suddenly there a knock on the janitor’s closet. As you opened the door, a bucket of maple syrup spilled all over you and the bucket hit your head.

“Owww…” You winced. When you turned around, you saw the students high-fived with each other and laughing their butts off.

“Was that a pleasant shower?” Yejin came out, smirking with her friends, laughing at you.

Ugh.. Sticky..

You waved your hands.

“Here’s another present from us.” Yejin slyly smiled. Her friends pulled out a bag a flour. You did not say anything and closed your eyes, waiting for the attack.

“Do it .” Yejin ordered. You squizzed your eyes harder.

Suddenly, “HYUNGWON!” Yejin gasped.

Huh?

You opened your eyes and found yourself shield by someone. You slowly looked up.

"Hyung.. Won..” Your lips trembled.

It was the first time that someone saved you. Because of you, he was covered in flour.

“Oh my God. Hyungwon, I’m so sorry. My girls didn’t mean to. We wanted to get her.” Yejin explained as she blew the flour away. Hyungwon turned around and glared at her.

Yejin gulped, “Hyungwon?”

“With this kind of attitude, you’d think I’d go out with you?” Hyungwon smirked and scoffed. He turned back to you, his eyes softened.

It made sense to him now on why you ran like that when you saw Yejin. Hyungwon took off his blazer and put them on you.

With teary eyes, you looked up at him. He softly smiled and lifted you up, bridal style.

“What are you doing?” Yejin asked, annoyed.

“Move!” Hyungwon roared. Yejin gulped and made room for him to pass by. Hyungwon brought you up to the roftop. He set you down gently.

“Are you okay ?” He asked with a soft tone.

You shook your head, “Your covered in flour because of me .” You said.

Hyungwon lightly chuckled, “Your such a nice girl. How can you worry about someone else when your the one who’s covered in maple syrup?” He said. You bit your lip. Hyungwon's eyes turn soft, he lifted your chin up, meeting his eyes.

“I knew there was something interesting about you the moment I lay my eyes on you.” He sincerely said.

“Hyungwon..” You called.

“Yes?” You shook your head and softly pushed his hand away.

“I’m sorry, but you’re making a big mistake right now. You shouldn’t be around me,” you said.

“I don’t think I am.” He said.

“But you are.” You argued.

Hyungwon opened but you were quicker, “I appreciate the kind help. But if you want to survive in this school, I suggest you stay away from me. Again, thank you. Goodbye~”

Giving a little bow with your head, you walked back down to the school’s hallway. Hyungwon wanted to run after you but you were too slippery.

It has been a month but Hyungwon have not had a chance to talk to you. Everytime you saw him, you would run away. And of course, not to mention, you obviously avoided him as hard as you could.

Hyungwon somehow got frustrated. He did not like-like you, but he was interested in getting to know you as you are the only one who did not want his attention, instead he wanted to give it to you. Hyungwon was in the verge of giving up on you, but there was something that kept telling him to still go ahead with the chase.

School was coming an end and the school prepared a school dance for the seniors. Everybody was busy with the promposals and getting ready for the prom. Confessions and new couples rose up in the school grounds amongst the seniors. Hyungwon had decide to ask you to prom.

So, a few days before the prom, he prepared something for you. The bell rung signing it was the end of the day. Some sudents piled out of the school while some stayed to finish up the preparation for the prom. You walked out of the gate and hugged your books. Hyungwon saw you and he pushed himself off the wall.

"____..” Hyungwon called. You gasped and fastened your pace.

“NO! Wait! _____! Don’t run~ Please.” He caught your arm and blocked you.

“I’m sorry, Hyungwon, but I have to-”

“No, you don’t have to go anywhere. You just want to avoid me. I know.” Hyungwon said. You held your head down, ashamed. He sighed.

“Look, enough is enough. I’m done. I like you, okay? I don’t what it is about you that triggers me but I just have a crush on you. And I’d like to get to know you. But I can’t do that if you keep avoiding me, _____. So, please. Just give me a chance.” Hyungwon confessed and pleaded.

You felt like your heart wanted to burst out of your body.

Truth was, you have a crush on Hyungwon too, but you did not want to risk gaining more hate than what you had at the moment.

“What do you suggest me to do?” You asked, not looking up at Hyungwon. Hyungwon gave a small smile. He took out something from his blazer’s pocket.

He held it out, “Come to prom with me.” Your eyes widened.

Are you crazy? Them seeing me with you at prom? Have you lost your mind?

“What do you say, ____? Come on, it won’t hurt. Dancing, food, pictures, music…” Hyungwon was trying hard to convince you. You gulped.

Frankly, you wanted to grasped the ticket and gratefully hug him as tight as you could. But you knew you were not in that place.

“_____?” Hyungwon peered down at you. You opened your mouth.

“I’m sorry, Hyungwon. I can’t.” You said. Hyungwon's face fell.

“Why not?”

“I just… Cant… I’m sorry. Excuse me.” You walked pass him. Hyungwon watched you walk away.

WHAT THE HELL, ____?! I POURED OUT MY HEART FOR YOU AND YOU LEAVE ME LIKE THIS? GAHHHHHH!

****

That night, Hyungwon was laying on his bed, playing with his basketball, just throwing it up in the air. He sighed every now and then, feeling both frustrated and upset about you rejecting to go to prom with him.

Just then, Hyungwon's mother came in his room, placing a plate of cookies on top of his study desk.

“Honey, what’s wrong? You look so down lately.” She asked as she sat on the edge of Hyungwon's bed.

“Nah, it’s nothing, mom.” Hyungwon shook his head.

“I think you both know that that’s just bull, right?” Mrs. Chae pointed out. Hyungwon led out a light chuckle.

Mrs. Chae patted her son’s thigh, “What’s wrong, baby boy?”

“You know how tonight’s the prom, right?” Hyungwon sat up.

“Mhmm..” Mrs. Chae nodded. Hyungwon told the whole story with him being in a complicated situation with you. Mrs. Chae chuckled, hearing how cute her son sounded. Hyungwon was never the type to have girl problems as he stopped being in a relationship after he entered middle school. He matured quite fastly, so he took love in a more serious matter.

Like he mentioned, he did not know why you triggered him so much.

“Alright, son. I know you’re upset. But you also need to understand from her perspective. You mentioned that she’s bullied in school and is always harras by her schoolmates. You as the new student giving attention to someone who is disliked by many. Think about what kind of situation you’ll put her in, Hyungwon-ah…” Mrs. Chae pointed out.

Hyungwon kept his eyes on his basketball.

“If she really matters to you, then it shouldn’t be about bringing her to prom or going public with her in school. It should just be about you and her being together,” Mrs. Chae caressed Hyungwon's head.

“We girls need to be convinced that we are loved, not because of something but for who we are, just like you boys.” She smiled and stood up.

“Good lucky, baby boy.” She said as she walked to the door.

Hyungwon gave what his mother said a thought. Mom’s right. I wasn’t thinking from her perspective. Haih, Hyungwon, you dumb!

****

You were at home, doing your homework. You wore a simple crop top and yoga pants showing your toned, lean legs.

Then, there was a knock, “Honey.”

“Come in.” You hollered. Your mother opened the door and smiled. “Hi, dear. Um, theres a friend, waiting for you downstairs.” She said.

You furrowed your eyebrows, “Mom, are you kidding me?”

“No, really. Your friend is waiting in our backyard. Come on…” She waved and giddily walked away. You sighed.

What is this joke…

Pushing your hair back and putting away your glasses, you walked down. Your parents were not in sight and you contiinued your pace to your backyard. You opened the door and stepped out.

“Hello?” You called. Then, a figure came out from the back of the tree. You furrowed your eyebrows as you saw the figure.

“Um, who are you?” You asked. Hyungwon showed himself. He was in a white, buttoned up shirt with black jeans and a pair of black vans. He was also wearing a black suit on top of that white shirt with a red tie. He did his hair up and was holding a bouquet of baby’s breath.

Your eyes widened, “Hyungwon?”

Hyungwon too was surprised to see you. He always sees you at school, hiding your beautiful figure in that old, loose uniform of yours. Also, you always go to school with a ponytail and your big glasses. Even in that, you looked beautiful to him, let alone now as he saw your true beautiful self.

“Wow.” That was all that escaped from .

You covered your showing abdomen by crossing your arms, “How did you know where I lived?” You asked. Hyungwon smiled.

“That’s not important.” He held out the bouquet, “You’re so beautiful, ____.” Hyungwon managed to say. You flushed as you slowly took the bouquet.

“What’s all this, Hyungwon?” You asked. Hyungwon led out a sigh with a gentle smile.

“Look. I’m sorry,” he started with an apology.

You blinked, “What for?”

“For being an inconsiderate jerk.” He said.

He continued, “I should’ve known why you avoided me in the first place. You’re traumatized by the whole school. And well, me being the main topic wasn’t helping either.” Hyungwon rubbed the back of his neck.

“Look, I just want to say that I’d like to get to know you. And since we’re ending school in a month, I don’t think there will be much opposition into building a relationship between us two. So, would you please give me a chance to take you out on a date?” Hyungwon asked. You felt the sincerity in his voice and was deeply touched at his effort on that night.

“Could I confess something too?” You asked. Hyungwon nodded. You took a step forward. You tip toed and pecked on his cheek. Hyungwon blinked as parted.

“Thank you.” You smiled. It was the first time Hyungwon saw you smile. His heart skipped a beat.

“For?” “For not giving up on this ordinary girl.” You shyly said. Hyungwon took a step closer to you and now, Hyungwon's face was just inches away from yours.

“And thank you too,” he said.

“What for?” You tilted your head.

“For accepting me.” Hyungwon smiled. You blinked.

“Who said I accepted you?” You asked. Hyungwon's face fell. You covered your mouth and your eyesmile showed that you were trying to hold your laughter. Hyungwon led out a long breath.

“Oh gosh, ____. I nearly lost my breath for a second there.” You uncovered your mouth.

“May I ask another question?” You asked.

Hyungwon had his head slightly down and he looked up, “Sure, beautiful.”

“Um, why in the world are you wearing a tuxedo if you just wanted to come to my house?” You asked.

Hyungwon gasped, “Oh, right. I almost forgot. Give me your bouquet.” He took your bouquet and put it on the table.

He took out his small speaker and his Mp3. Hyungwon put the speaker on the table and he took out the prom carnations.

“I figured that since I couldn’t bring you to prom, I’ll just bring prom to you. I mean, all that matters is as long as we have each other, then it’s perfect.” Hyungwon grabbed your wrist and put it on for you. Your eyes softened as you looked at him gently put it on your wrist. He gave his to you.

“Would you do the honor?” You smiled and took it. You stepped a bit closer to Hyungwon and put it on his suit. “There.” You lightly patted on his shoulder.

“Would you like to dance?” Hyungwon held out his palm.

You hugged your upper arms, “But there’s no music.” Hyungwon held up and waved his Mp3. You chuckled, looking at his seductive yet adorable expression. He put on a slow song. He put your hand on his shoulder and grasped your other hand. Hyungwon pulled your body closer to his.

Basically, there was no space at all between the two of you.

“Tell me if you’re uncomfortable.” Hyungwon said. You shook your head and smiled. Hyungwon mirrored your smile.

After dancing to a few songs, you and Hyungwon sat on the big swing. Hyungwon interwined his fingers with yours and looked down.

“You know, I actually thought of giving up, no doubt. But… I don’t know. There was just something that kept me going. Now that I’ve realised it, it was just you all along,” Hyungwon looked into your eyes. You smiled.

“And I’m more than thankful for you to have such patience.” Hyungwon smiled too.

Just then, Hyungwon's smile slowly faded. He gulped and leaned forward. He moved his hand on your jaw and pressed his lips on yours. You were surprised at first, but slowly fell into the kiss. Hyungwon tenderly kissed you and pulled back.

The two of you looked at each other and broke into small giggles. Hyungwon bit his lower lip and kissed at the back of your palm.