Part 16.

Pet Dog

Umji sighs at the shut door in concern for Yuju, as well as for ShinB. She turns around to see Sowon who has also her glance on the door. 

ShinB exits the kitchen to see Sowon and Umji looking at each other in the eye. Confused, she halts her footsteps and furrows her eyebrows. Deciding to ignore the situation, she silently walks away. As she does so, she notices that Nabi's bed is empty. She stops and looks all over the room but there is no sign of the dog. Her eyes widen in alarm and she takes large strides into the bedroom. She forcefully pushes the door open and sticks her head in. Both lower bunks are empty. 

ShinB releases her grip on the door and walks away with huge steps to the bathroom. She turns the doorknob to realise it is locked. 

"I'm inside," she hears Yerin from across the door. ShinB nonchalantly walks away into the living room and is startled to see Sowon and Umji still standing and doing nothing at all. 

She narrows her eyes. "Did Yuju unnie go somewhere?"

Umji looks to Sowon, who sighs and says expressionlessly, "She went out to walk Nabi."

"And you let her go off alone?" ShinB cannot help but raise her voice in anxiety. 

"She's an adult," Sowon answers sternly, "and you're now an adult too so you should start acting like one."

ShinB releases a soft grunt and turns away without answering. She grabs her coat and gets her shoes on before running out of the house without another word. 

ShinB rubs her palms against each other impatiently while waiting for the elevator. Releasing quick, short breaths, she harshly attacks the button, not caring if she would jam it. 

Once the elevator reaches the first floor she immediately runs out and dashes all the way out of the apartment complex, constantly turning her head from left to right as she tries to look for signs of that girl.

She stops her footsteps when she hears a bark, that bark she is absolutely familiar with. The sudden halt almost causes her to fall. 

ShinB heaves a sigh and turns to face the direction where the sound has come from. 

"Is that a yes?" she hears her voice. She sees Yuju, squatting down before the puppy.

She releases her breath which creates a mist. "What's a yes?"

She watches as Yuju slowly turns her head to face her. She looks into Yuju's eyes, her own conveying the confusion and longing she has held in her heart all this time.