Part 11.

Pet Dog

Yuju walks out of the toilet and into the living room. Her eyes land on ShinB's back as the girl silently eats with Sowon at the dining table. Her footsteps come to a gradual stop and she keeps her gaze on ShinB.

"Ah Yuju," Sowon realises her presence after a while. ShinB almost jumps in her seat, startled. "Want to eat with us?" Sowon asks next.

ShinB stiffens up at Sowon's question. 

"It's okay," Yuju breaks out of her daze and shakes her head, pushing the corners of her lips into a smile.

"Ani, unnie, you can eat, I'm almost done," ShinB stands up from her chair and walks away without looking up at Yuju. Yuju watches as their distance once again increases and heaves a sigh. ShinB on the other hand seats herself before Nabi who is currently asleep, repeating the habit she's been having every single night ever since they've brought the tiny being home. 

"What's wrong with the two of you?" Sowon furrows her eyebrows as she speaks, almost reprimanding. 

Yuju does not answer but heaves a sigh. She mindlessly picks up the pair of chopsticks that ShinB was using before that and feeds herself the egg rolls that Sowon has just made. 

Sowon rolls her eyes and sighs, clearly frustrated on their behalf. She is about to return to eating until her mobile phone rings. 

"Manager nim?" she answers, confused. 

"This is regarding ShinB and Yuju having a dog..." Sowon's eyes dart around the room and sees ShinB standing up to walk away to the bedroom. 

"Hwang Eunbi, you're not going anywhere," she sternly calls out, and turns to Yuju with a glare, "Choi Yuna, you don't move either."

"I think I shouldn't have agreed to their request so easily... I must have been out of my mind that day," the manager says next. "I'm wondering if they're fine- if the dog is fine since we're so busy with the end-of-year broadcasts as well as comeback preparations."

"Everything's perfectly fine, Manager nim," Sowon assures him.

"Sure?"

"Yes," she answers immediately. 

"Okay," Sowon hears him sigh over the line, "You girls should be going to bed soon."

"Understood," Sowon replies and the line is cut off. 

"What was that about?" ShinB is first to ask. 

"Manager nim was asking about your dog because we're busy with everything recently," Sowon answers with a hand on her hip, "he says he shouldn't have agreed so lightly and thinks he was out of his mind that day."

For a moment, ShinB forgets about her fear for the angry leader or the anxiousness of being in the same place as Yuju and bursts into laughter. 

"He must have fallen for my charms," ShinB continues to joke. 

Sowon rolls her eyes and plainly replies, "The only person who has fallen for you is Yuju."

Yerin who has just come out of the bedroom drops her mobile phone after hearing Sowon's words. ShinB's jaw is dropped. Yuju stays frozen in her seat and a piece of egg roll rolls off the plate. 

Yerin, with her quick thinking, runs for Sowon and drags her into the bedroom.

"Unnie, what were you thinking when you said that?!" Yerin asks in utter panic. 

Sowon's eyes widen upon realisation. "What did I just say?" Sowon asks and buries her face in her palms. "Ah jinjja..." she sighs.