Part 12.

Pet Dog

Meanwhile, in the living room, not a single thing has moved ever since Sowon disappeared into the bedroom with Yerin. 

After four minutes of complete stillness, Yuju jerks back into reality and notices the egg roll on the ground. Flustered, she reaches for some tissue paper and picks it up before wiping away any traces of oil on the floor and table. She immediately discards it in the dustbin and hurriedly makes her way back into the bedroom. 

Yuju lands herself on her bed once she slams the door behind her. She lifelessly falls to lie down on the bed and pulls the covers over, up to the top of her head. 

Yuju hears her heart beating while countless thoughts swarm her mind. Me, fallen for ShinB? Really? And it has to come out of the mouth of Sowon, their leader that never lies? 

Yuju shakes her head and squints her eyes shut. 

Sowon looked pretty serious, did she? 

Yuju once again squeezes her eyes shut and shakes her head even more vigorously. 

But wait, why did she not know about her own feelings? 

Yuju squeezes her eyes shut for the third time and covers her face with her hands. Shaken and confused, Yuju feels as if she doesn't know herself anymore. She doesn't know anything anymore. All she knows is that she just wants to dig a hole and bury herself in it, to be far and out of sight from everybody.

On the other hand, ShinB is still on the floor in the living room staring into space. She is brought back to her senses when she hears a whimper from beside her. 

Concerned, she bends down to see the puppy awake and alarmed. Her heart softens and she its fur in attempt to comfort the puppy. 

"Do dogs get bad dreams too?" she coos and tries to put the puppy back to sleep as if it were a baby. 

She sighs when her thoughts return to their initial state. Her hand halts and she once again stares into the air. 

"Yuju unnie... Fallen for me?" she mutters with trembling lips. "Do you think it's true, Nabi yah?" she speaks with fear and uncertainty, her soul feeling like a flickering candle. 

"Yuju unnie doesn't look like she likes me, does she?" she asks the dog again. As she gently ruffles the fur on its head Nabi looks up and lightly her fingers, causing ShinB to giggle. 

"But I've fallen for her, have I?" she asks once more when it has fallen silent. 

We need to talk, ShinB thinks. She stays still for a while more until her attention is reverted back to the tiny puppy who is then asleep again. 

The peaceful expression on Nabi's face suddenly brings courage and hope to ShinB's heart, and she starts feeling determined. 

"We need to talk," she whispers, and the corners of her lips curve up to form a minute smile.